Prospect Info: 43rd Overall Dylan Samberg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
The signing bonus is 92500 when you sign and 92500 in each of the following two years . In the NHL max is 92500 signing bonus and 832500 salary . it is the same now as it was in 2011 when they signed the new CBA . Players salary has doubled in that time but the rookie ELC have not increased one bit . And 70000 salary in AHL on ELC's is basically a joke and ain't helping convincing them either .

[url=https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/180313/dq180313a-eng.htm]Not if you're part of the real world[/URL]. Those bonuses are pretty close to double the median income for single Canadians. Not to mention I believe the teams provide per diem during the season as well, so most costs are fairly negligible.

But I do understand your point relative to average NHL salaries.

College on the other hand? That leads us into the whole "retiring at 35 mindset" that players seem to revel in. Um, no, I graduated from my final degree at 34 so it's hardly too late to go back to school, particularly if you've just enjoyed a 12-15 year NHL career and were even slightly prudent with your salary. Going back to college, as Samberg is, for a chance at a 3-peat? Absolutely makes sense versus spending time in the AHL given the relatively minor differences in quality depending on which part of the NCAA you play in and the bonus of being part of a championship caliber team.

And if I'm Samberg I'm looking at my future coach's approach to rookies versus vets and thinking, nope, no hurry at all.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
Not if you're part of the real world. Those bonuses are pretty close to double the median income for single Canadians. Not to mention I believe the teams provide per diem during the season as well, so most costs are fairly negligible.

College on the other hand? That leads us into the whole "retiring at 35 mindset" that players seem to revel in. Um, no, I graduated from my final degree at 34 so it's hardly too late to go back to school, particularly if you've just enjoyed a 12-15 year NHL career and were even slightly prudent with your salary. Going back to college, as Samberg is, for a chance at a 3-peat? Absolutely makes sense versus spending time in the AHL given the relatively minor differences in quality depending on which part of the NCAA you play in and the bonus of being part of a championship caliber team.

And if I'm Samberg I'm looking at my future coach's approach to rookies versus vets and thinking, nope, no hurry at all.

I think you also look at Kulikov and know that this guys a placeholder for me. If they deal him later this summer maybe I change my mind, if not he'll be gone the next year and I can step right into his spot as long as I beat out Stanley for it. Also looking at how well Fabbro and Makar did after stepping right onto Playoff teams maybe that's an option for Samberg to consider for next year. Go for the 3rd National title and if it doesn't happen maybe play some bottom pair minutes in the NHL playoffs to finish out the year.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not if you're part of the real world. Those bonuses are pretty close to double the median income for single Canadians. Not to mention I believe the teams provide per diem during the season as well, so most costs are fairly negligible.

Except professional athletes are not part of the "real world'. The advantages of staying school also include financial advantages. The longer Samberg stays in the NCAA he can leverage more and more out of the Jets to sign on the dotted line. He can put himself in a position to burn ELC years and maximize performance bonuses with easily achievable milestones that more than make up getting a AHL salary.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

There is no per diem provided . The per diem is if you leave college after your hockey season is over and you come to play some AHL games and possible playoff games cause your contract don't start till next year . A friend of mine had a kid in Providence on this and got $325 per day to pay for hotel food and spending . Same for CHL kids .
Also Samberg is in the NCHC which is the strongest conference in college hockey by a ways . After next year he will hold all the cards or he will go back for his senior year . It sucks but college kids that preform have options and lots of them .

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Trade value for a more patient team, or is the risk too high?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Playoffs or not, would be great to see him sign and get some games in post-FF. A nice cash boost for him and some certainty for the team going into next year.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I just hope he doesn't end up being another Trouba...as in not wanting to be here
As far as I know, Trouba's the only player the team has drafted that clearly wanted out.

They've yet to have a player refuse to sign here out of the NCAA and opt for the UFA route.

The only possible reason for concern is that the Jets approached Samberg about signing here last spring and he refused at that time...but he had a reasonable explanation for that:

“(The Jets) came down and talked to me and went over everything, but I thought I wanted to go back and finish another year of school before I made another decision,” Samberg said after Wednesday’s session at Jets development camp. “I want to be fully prepared when I come in here. I also really wanted to get schooling done, that’s really important to me and my family. I felt that one year wouldn’t hurt me.”

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
This article in the Winnipeg Sun should be good news for those worried about Samberg not signing with the Jets after the UMD ends.

Jets prospect Samberg chasing history first, Jets dream next

To me, based on what he said it's virtually assured now that he will be a Jet which indeed is great news. If he wasn't planning it we would of heard nothing from him or the standard "We will see how things pan out" comment. Contract details is all that needs to be ironed out IMO.

Jets probably have an internal policy to be sure as much as possible the player they draft that go through the American college route signs. I wouldn't be surprised if they interviewed Samberg pre-draft, and specifically asked him if he would sign if the Jets draft him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This article in the Winnipeg Sun should be good news for those worried about Samberg not signing with the Jets after the UMD ends.

Jets prospect Samberg chasing history first, Jets dream next

That's a great article. Gives you a sense of the player's thinking. Copp was pretty adamant about not going to the A. Poolman on the other hand, went through the process. I am pretty sure Connor was guaranteed 30 games before going down when he signed. The money makes a huge difference. Samberg is going to get a good contract. Be nice to have him on the playoff roster.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Potential big year for Samberg, looking forward to seeing him play.
Yep. He could be a missing piece this team needs. Though Chevy signing Forbort seems to suggest they may be more patient with Samberg, and have him gain some pro experience with Moose first unless he kicks the door in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->