#43 wake up or trade him before 2020 season

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
To this point in his career, I don't think Kadri has found that balance to be that ultra reliable middle six guy who can be the same night in night out. Still depends on the opponent, his linemates and whether he feels engaged enough to bring his A game, or his sleeper game. And that's trouble, because we are envisioning him as that solid middle six player who can backstop all the gamebreaking talent ahead of him.

Perhaps you "envision" him that way, I'd rather not put any labels on him myself. Kadri seems to a have a new role every year or two and new linemates every few months so I just envision him as a very good player, one who's been consistently playing at a level higher than his pay grade for several years now.

If a trade comes up that helps our team, Kadri should be traded, his production has fallen off dramatically and as a 3rd line center he is not well suited to play this position.

Just a couple of weeks ago he was on pace to match his production from last year and his production is still excellent for a 3rd line centre.

If a trade comes up that helps our team of course he should be traded but doesn't that go without saying? There should never be any untouchable players, ever.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
He's young, homegrown, good enough to be a 2C on almost any other team in the league, and is on a sweetheart contract. It's a big luxury to have Kadri on our third line and all the other contenders would kill to have that same luxury. He's not going anywhere.

Reactions: meng666 and ITM

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Perhaps you "envision" him that way, I'd rather not put any labels on him myself. Kadri seems to a have a new role every year or two and new linemates every few months so I just envision him as a very good player, one who's been consistently playing at a level higher than his pay grade for several years now.

Just a couple of weeks ago he was on pace to match his production from last year and his production is still excellent for a 3rd line centre.

If a trade comes up that helps our team of course he should be traded but doesn't that go without saying? There should never be any untouchable players, ever.

Tavares with Marner has produced 33 goals in 55 games that took Kadri with Marner 80 games to produce 32 goals and the likelihood of Kadri getting even close to what he did last year is pretty remote.
He doesn't back check, he is not a very good fore checker, he stands around in the slot area and needs really good wingers to get him the puck so he can shoot on the net and that is why he plays on the PP and even that has gone down, his cap hit is 4.5 Mill and in the dollar crunch we are going to be facing, he is expendable.
A trade for a usable player, maybe a RHD, that helps the team would be a great help, Kadri and Zaitsev for Pesce and Ferland would reduce our cap by about 4 mill and give us two players we could use.

Last edited:
Reactions: CelticDruid

D00bis

Jan 15, 2019
as long as he doesnt get suspended again in the playoffs he's been fine. Kadri's always been streaky and we have great depth at centre. I have a weird feeling that the whole team will turn it up after the trade deadline whens theres zero distractions.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
as long as he doesnt get suspended again in the playoffs he's been fine. Kadri's always been streaky and we have great depth at centre. I have a weird feeling that the whole team will turn it up after the trade deadline whens theres zero distractions.

I agree here.

you don’t deal a first round pick to unload Kadri (or Zaitsev or Nylander) at the deadline.

This is the roster. Let’s hope he shows up. He was ineffective in a shut down role last playoffs and lost his job to Plekanec. Hopefully, they find something for him he can get behind.

Summer is a different set of circumstances with cap trouble, signings and pipeline replenishment on the agenda.

Cross that bridge then.

Reactions: D00bis

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Leafs ran into a hot goalie, but there were a lot of chest shots.

Did the Leafs send some of the players to US Marines Sniper School? Because for some reason they use the goalie's crest for a centre mass target alot!

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Tavares with Marner has produced 33 goals in 55 games that took Kadri with Marner 80 games to produce 32 goals and the likelihood of Kadri getting even close to what he did last year is pretty remote.
He doesn't back check, he is not a very good fore checker, he stands around in the slot area and needs really good wingers to get him the puck so he can shoot on the net and that is why he plays on the PP and even that has gone down, his cap hit is 4.5 Mill and in the dollar crunch we are going to be facing, he is expendable.
A trade for a usable player, maybe a RHD, that helps the team would be a great help, Kadri and Zaitsev for Pesce and Ferland would reduce our cap by about 4 mill and give us two players we could use.

So you're comparing Kadri to a player we're paying 11 million a year and are upset that he doesn't measure up?

He was on pace for last years totals 2 weeks ago so I can't agree that the chances are remote that he gets "even close" to that.

Doesn't back check, not a very good fore checker and he stands around the slot.

LOL OK, whatever dude.

Reactions: meng666

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
So you're comparing Kadri to a player we're paying 11 million a year and are upset that he doesn't measure up?

He was on pace for last years totals 2 weeks ago so I can't agree that the chances are remote that he gets "even close" to that.

Doesn't back check, not a very good fore checker and he stands around the slot.

LOL OK, whatever dude.

Bozak had 43 points last year, this what we are projecting for Kadri this year and bozak had a lesser cap hit than Kadri and the team just released Bozak without getting anything in return, I want to trade Kadri and get something for him, that should help our team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bozak had 43 points last year, this what we are projecting for Kadri this year and bozak had a lesser cap hit than Kadri and the team just released Bozak without getting anything in return, I want to trade Kadri and get something for him, that should help our team.

LOL, not Bozak again. :laugh::laugh:

So you want to trade Kadri and get "something" for him because that should help our team. Seriously?

wmark

Apr 5, 2014

When did Kadri play 80 games with Marner last year?

Marner started the year with Bozak and JVR.

Do you just make stats up like Pookie?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Absolutely and you don't want to trade him for what reason, seriously?

Because you said trade him "for something" and unlike you, I'd like to know what the "something" is before trading any player because I care more about the team than I do about getting rid of players I don't like. But then, I like all our players so I don't have these issues to begin with.

Yeah I was gonna let that one slide. Not sure why, just in a good (and forgiving perhaps) mood today. :)

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

Personal agenda that's what some posters have here. Not sure why though. Wait I know why but we will leave at at that

Reactions: Notsince67

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Because you said trade him "for something" and unlike you, I'd like to know what the "something" is before trading any player because I care more about the team than I do about getting rid of players I don't like. But then, I like all our players so I don't have these issues to begin with.

Yeah I was gonna let that one slide. Not sure why, just in a good (and forgiving perhaps) mood today. :)

What Bozak again :laugh::laugh: , Kadri didn't play 80 games with Marner but then neither has Tavares but we do like to play with stats.

So would I like to know what they will get in a trade for him but as Dubas doesn't take either of us into his confidence, we won't know until it happens but that still doesn't mean that we shouldn't trade him.

So I guess we will have to wait and see and trust in Dubas?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Personal agenda that's what some posters have here. Not sure why though. Wait I know why but we will leave at at that

Yes a lot of posters here have personal agendas as do you and many more not wanting to trade Kadri for whatever reason.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The thing is, even if you think his 60 point days are behind him (and given his new role, they might be), it’s hard to find a comparable 50ish point centre for a comparable caphit. And teams very rarely trade centres too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What Bozak again :laugh::laugh: , Kadri didn't play 80 games with Marner but then neither has Tavares but we do like to play with stats.

So would I like to know what they will get in a trade for him but as Dubas doesn't take either of us into his confidence, we won't know until it happens but that still doesn't mean that we shouldn't trade him.

So I guess we will have to wait and see and trust in Dubas?

So you would like to know what we'd get for him but you don't know what we'd get for him but we should trade him anyway. Got it.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
So you would like to know what we'd get for him but you don't know what we'd get for him but we should trade him anyway. Got it.

If you don't know what you could get for him you would keep him anyway, works both ways and I have been saying, if it helps the team, we trade him.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
If we could trade Naz w/o losing any kind of depth at C, and have the same amount of jam or more, sign me up
But I don't see it for his cap hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad