#43 wake up or trade him before 2020 season

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
ith, what is your take on aj/kap? I know it is a bit off topic but 1) which one would be better to play with willy and matty, and 2) which one would work better with naz. My personal opinion is Aj with willy and kap with naz.
Yeah, I'd agree with you. Kapanen is good at using his legs to put pressure on teams, causing them to lose their structure a bit defensively, and Kadri loves that. He's at his best when the play gets a bit frantic. Matthews and Nylander both like to play more a structured game where they can pounce on plays when they don't have the puck, so you need someone who can force teams to play faster than they perhaps are comfortable with. AJ can do that, and he can also be another option who is good at getting open and putting the puck in the net from in close.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, I'd agree with you. Kapanen is good at using his legs to put pressure on teams, and Kadri loves that. Matthews and Nylander both like to pounce on plays, so you need someone who can force teams to play faster than they perhaps would like. AJ can do that, and he can also be another option who is good at getting open and putting the put in net from in close.
Good points. Also, on the topic of line combos, do you like marner and JT long term? Sometimes I would love to see JT with Naz. After penalty kills babs sometimes rolls out those two with matty and the clinic they put on is absolutely beautiful. Maybe if we can get naz in there with JT to cycle the crap out of the puck with mitch, and have nylander centre his own line with hyman. I have always thought william has his best games when he has defensive responsibility and when he is playing as a C.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If half kadri's post went in we wouldn't have this thread.

Probably not but you never know. Every time Kadri has so much as a mini slump this nonsense starts again. Kadri's one of the few players on the team who you can count on to not be intimidated ever, and no matter how much people talk about the "new NHL" and so no, playoff hockey is still playoff hockey and we need more players like Kadri, not less. I don't know about the "spookie" crowd but I badly want to win at least one round this spring. Idiotic thread.

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's not an official Kadri thread without Pookie!

It's not an official Kadri thread without people trying to silence his opinion ... HUSH PEASANT POOKIE, YOUR WELL REFERENCED ARGUMENT HAS NO PLACE HERE !!!! now it's an official Kadri thread... carry on...

Reactions: The Apologist

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Probably not but you never know. Every time Kadri has so much a mini slump this nonsense starts again. Kadri's one of the few players on the team who you can count on to not be intimidated ever, and no matter how much people talk about the "new NHL" and so no, playoff hockey is still playoff hockey and we need more players like Kadri, not less. I don't know about the "spookie" crowd but I badly want to win at least one round this spring. Idiotic thread.

Even the most blindly loyal fans have to admit, he is been invisible on more nights than visible. If the last two season was Kadri in full effect, this years version has to be called Kadri-lite.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Kadri is saving himself for the playoffs.

It would be nice if the Leafs showed up this year in the playoffs with a line that is fresh and not worn down by the grind.

If they don't make it out of the first round there will be changes, and I could see Kadri being an asset used to improve in areas of need.

Certainly, you could look at the youngsters, but it should be the veterans who lead the way in the playoffs.

After last year Kadri should be hungry to make up for his hot-headed play that cost him games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is saving himself for the playoffs.

It would be nice if the Leafs showed up this year in the playoffs with a line that is fresh and not worn down by the grind.

If they don't make it out of the first round there will be changes, and I could see Kadri being an asset used to improve in areas of need.

Certainly, you could look at the youngsters, but it should be the veterans who lead the way in the playoffs.

After last year Kadri should be hungry to make up for his hot-headed play that cost him games.

If they lose in the 1st round, the most likely reason that happens is that the team is too soft and Kadri will be the last player they will be looking to move. We need more players like him not less. Agree Kadri should be hungry and he will be, I'm not worried about him at all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If they lose in the 1st round, the most likely reason that happens is that the team is too soft and Kadri will be the last player they will be looking to move. We need more players like him not less. Agree Kadri should be hungry and he will be, I'm not worried about him at all.

I think it depends on how he plays in the playoffs.

Everyone gets older and Kadri has looked older this year, he's looked slower, and less aggressive but that is less important than how he plays when the real games start.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The discussion can be about more than performance.

A team can trade a good player for other good players in needed positions

A team can trade a good player for cap relief and to ensure there is a pipeline of talent

When someone responds with “we can’t trade him, he’s doing well”, they seem to assume that a team can only trade players that are performing poorly.

Kadri’s downward trend is well established. Last season’s disappearance wasn’t a blip. This much we know.

We also know he’s still a good player. And that in an of itself provides no immunity from trade discussions that would help improve the team.

Zaitsev, Nylander or Kadri. One of those probably has to move before the start of next season
I wasn't particularly advocating either keeping or trading him, just listing his pros and cons, and suggesting we stop going over and over and over them ad nauseum.

Reactions: Pookie

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Considering my verdict after the last game, I feel like I should point out that he was good tonight. Around the net all the time, fished out pucks and had a lot of strong individual play. The last part is why I still think he and Nylander should be broken up. Kadri thrives on personally abusing chaos, he's the most effective on a line that creates a ton of 50-50 situation where Kadri's individual skill can take advantage. Give him a Marleau and Kapanen, and Kadri would look better.
I agree with your diagnosis but not exactly with your cure. Maximum chaos can be achieved by putting Hyman and Kappy with him. Marleau has slowed a bit but JT and Marners creativity can still make use of him. The physicality of that third line should spark some inspiration among the rest of the team. Matching lower pairing dmen will be a mistake for other teams due to speed and physicality.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think it depends on how he plays in the playoffs.

Everyone gets older and Kadri has looked older this year, he's looked slower, and less aggressive but that is less important than how he plays when the real games start.

This is true.

To add, the idea that only Kadri hits in the playoffs is easy to debunk.

Consider the “lazy” JVR threw 15 hits in the playoffs last year. Even 32 year old Tyler Bozak threw 11 hits in that Boston series.

Not bad considering they had to cover for Kadri who had 14.... with one very gutless one.

Let’s hope he shows up this year.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
It's not an official Kadri thread without people trying to silence his opinion ... HUSH PEASANT POOKIE, YOUR WELL REFERENCED ARGUMENT HAS NO PLACE HERE !!!! now it's an official Kadri thread... carry on...

what well referenced argument, the guy was constantly trying to trade Kadri during the back to back 30 goal seasons too

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
what well referenced argument, the guy was constantly trying to trade Kadri during the back to back 30 goal seasons too

I haven’t been trying to trade anyone.

I don’t work for the team.

I did say in reference to trades that we should be moving on from Bozak, JVR, Leo at the deadline and that Kadri offered the best market value.

You upset about 1 of the 4?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Apologist

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I agree with your diagnosis but not exactly with your cure. Maximum chaos can be achieved by putting Hyman and Kappy with him. Marleau has slowed a bit but JT and Marners creativity can still make use of him. The physicality of that third line should spark some inspiration among the rest of the team. Matching lower pairing dmen will be a mistake for other teams due to speed and physicality.
I like this. And have AJ on with the Matthews/Nylander pairing.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
You should be asking the other person that question. And I will say I'm not young.

EDIT: I was alive the last time the Leafs won the cup. But too young to remember it.
My brother from another mother! You old fogey.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
How does trying to trade him during those seasons negate their arguments exactly?

When someone's been going on about trading a player for over 5 years regardless of how the player is performing, I doubt anyone bothers even listening to his "arguments" any more. It's kind of like if someone comes to you with a story they read in the National Enquirer, how much time would you invest in "negating" their arguments? :laugh::laugh:

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
When someone's been going on about trading a player for over 5 years regardless of how the player is performing, I doubt anyone bothers even listening to his "arguments" any more. It's kind of like if someone comes to you with a story they read in the National Enquirer, how much time would you invest in "negating" their arguments? :laugh::laugh:
Ask the Men in Black.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Sherpaderp

Feb 9, 2019
Whyb
If he earned more money, I have a feeling he would be performing better.

He's ok this year, but Oppie has a point. He's always had 35 goal 70 point potential but playing as a 45-50 point guy. He know's he's underpaid and is playing as a 4.5 million dollar guy rather then smashing through to his potential. That's just my opinion.
Why would he be playing below his potential because of his low contract? Do you know how people are compensated in professional sports? Its not by lacking production. Lol jeeze

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Even the most blindly loyal fans have to admit, he is been invisible on more nights than visible. If the last two season was Kadri in full effect, this years version has to be called Kadri-lite.

The other day I was reading something about the New York Rangers current rebuild and came across an interesting point. One Rangers fan spoke about how for the past number of years the Rangers lived and died by these industrious middle six, top nine forwards who could play a very workmanlike two way game but lacked game breakers, which ultimately did them in on their playoff runs.

When you look at a lot of playoff bridesmaids like St. Louis, Anaheim, Nashville, etc. you'll notice their rosters are littered with guys who can play that robotic, heavy, consistent workmanlike game, but can't score for shit in the clutch because they don't have the gamebreaking ability.

When I think about the cast of players assembled by Burke and Nonis: Kadri, Kessel, Gardiner, Lupul, JVR, etc. they all had that ability to break a game open offensively, but were maddeningly inconsistent in what you could expect game to game.

To this point in his career, I don't think Kadri has found that balance to be that ultra reliable middle six guy who can be the same night in night out. Still depends on the opponent, his linemates and whether he feels engaged enough to bring his A game, or his sleeper game. And that's trouble, because we are envisioning him as that solid middle six player who can backstop all the gamebreaking talent ahead of him.

Reactions: Pookie and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So your line spending the entire night in the other teams zone is a bad thing now.
A 0,0,0,-1 stat line is good? 10 shots coming on the power play?

Not scoring on 12 shots is a rather dubious distinction, not one to be worn with pride.

Leafs ran into a hot goalie, but there were a lot of chest shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pookie

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
If a trade comes up that helps our team, Kadri should be traded, his production has fallen off dramatically and as a 3rd line center he is not well suited to play this position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad