#43 wake up or trade him before 2020 season

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He’s not getting put out against the top line.

I never coined the term sheltered minutes but it seems to fit the situation. You’d expect points against 3/4th liners.

Well yeahhh. He did that the last two seasons. I would be more than happy to play Willy at the third line center position while Kadri plays the left wing with Tavares or Matthews.

He has a better career totals than Couturier on a almost identical games played, but average 5 minutes less playing time per game. Underrated player. Sample size perspective beyond this season there for you.

A draft day steal again for Burke.

Thats just fair right.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I love 43, think he's been exactly doing his job, but also would have no problem trading him for the right return.

Its not out there. Find that needle in the haystack!!! Its just not there in a overall context to value to your team???? Just saying because i have looked.

He is phenomenal value.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Then that's sad.

I just posted that he has better career totals than Couturier on almost identical games played. So sad for you maybe, not me I'm very proud of the pick Burkie brought us.

Same crap is in store for Willy around here too. I'll be right there tuning up them posters too. Gets sickening actually but not sad.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I just posted that he has better career totals than Couturier on almost identical games played. So sad for you maybe, not me I'm very proud of the pick Burkie brought us.

Same crap is in store for Willy around here too. I'll be right there tuning up them posters too. Gets sickening actually but not sad.

When he plays well I have always complimented his play and I will cheer him on when he steps up to the plate.
Just want to see more desperation in his game, that's all.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
When he plays well I have always complimented his play and I will cheer him on when he steps up to the plate.
Just want to see more desperation in his game, that's all.

Me too i like all our players playing well also. Team game and do what the team needs evolve into onnthe fly while strictly playing withonna system can be a fleeting expectation when the group gets out of sinc together.

Great team player for the most part as far as I'm concerned. He has to be careful more than most at containing his competitive edge and remaining disciplined.

Willy got jumped on while he was working hard but not getting the results. Lots here are just waiting to pounce on the negatives.

I simply see negatives in a team sense that is corrected as a group.

Hyman was the best player on the ice last night but I don't agree its the ideal spot for him to be playing in the lineup for my personal preference.

Not hyman's line up card to fill in. We all have ideas of whats best for wins sure.

Hyman beat my logic to shreads the way he played last night. Its a funny game to evaluate:)

Reactions: CelticDruid

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Me too i like all our players playing well also. Team game and do what the team needs evolve into onnthe fly while strictly playing withonna system can be a fleeting expectation when the group gets out of sinc together.

Great team player for the most part as far as I'm concerned. He has to be careful more than most at containing his competitive edge and remaining disciplined.

Willy got jumped on while he was working hard but not getting the results. Lots here are just waiting to pounce on the negatives.

I simply see negatives in a team sense that is corrected as a group.

Hyman was the best player on the ice last night but I don't agree its the ideal spot for him to be playing in the lineup for my personal preference.

Not hyman's line up card to fill in. We all have ideas of whats best for wins sure.

Hyman beat my logic to shreads the way he played last night. Its a funny game to evaluate:)

I also thought that Lindholm played really well, along with his two line mates.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

kb

Aug 28, 2009
OP is on crack.

Third line centers in the league:

Nazem Kadri - 0.59PPG

Ryan Kesler - 0.125PPG
Jordan Weal - 0.0833PPG
Sean Kuraly - 0.26PPG
Johan Larsson - 0.17PPG
Mark Jankowski - 0.42PPG
Jordan Marinook - 0.31PPG
Artem Anisimov - 0.47PPG
Carl Soderberg - 0.629PPG
Alexander Wennberg - 0.42PPG
Jason Dickinson - 0.32PPG
Luke Glendenning - 0.33PPG
Brad Malone - 0.0 PPG
Riley Sheahan - 0.5PPG
Adrian Kempe - 0.35PPG
Joel Eriksson Ek - 0.24PPG
Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 0.48PPG
Nick Bonino - 0.48PPG
Pavel Zacha - 0.29PPG
Valtteri Filppula - 0.40PPG
Ryan Strome - 0.31PPG
Jean-Gabriel Pageau - 0.31PPG
Nolan Patrick - 0.42PPG
Jared Mccann - 0.4PPG
Joe Thornton - 0.62PPG
Oskar Sunqvist - 0.42PPG
Anthony Cirelli - 0.38PPG
Brandon Sutter - 0.23PPG
Cody Eakin - 0.52PPG
Lars Eller - 0.44PPG
Adam Lowry - 0.26PPG

Two third line centers with a higher PPG (barely) in the entire NHL.

If you take a 2nd line center and put him on the third line, his production will drop.

Wow, what a concept! :sarcasm::huh:
I do enjoy good research. Well done.

Now I will list the NHL's top-10 team's 3rd line centres in order of standing.

Tampa - Anthony Cirelli - 0.38PPG, ($728,333)
Calgary - Mark Jankowski - 0.42PPG, ($1,675,000)
San Jose - Joe Thornton - 0.62PPG, ($5,000,000)
Toronto - Nazem Kadri - 0.59PPG, ($4,500,000)
Winnipeg - Adam Lowry - 0.26PPG, ($2,916,666)
Nashville - Nick Bonino - 0.48PPG, ($4,100,000)
New York I - Valtteri Filppula - 0.40PPG, ($2,750,000)
Montreal - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 0.48PPG, ($925,000)
Boston - Sean Kuraly - 0.26PPG, ($1,275,000)
Washington - Lars Eller - 0.44PPG. ($3,500,000)

The takeaway seems to be, if you can get about 0.40 PPG and a good cap hit, along with decent 2-way play, that is enough - as there is zero correlation between PPG of a 3rd line centre, and a team's win/loss record. The highest scoring 3rd line centre plays on the 23 ranked team.

7 of the teams did it with cap hits for the 3rd line centre under $3.5 million.

It would be interesting to do this for the last 10 cup winners, list their 3rd line centres with PPG and cap hit.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Well yeahhh. He did that the last two seasons. I would be more than happy to play Willy at the third line center position while Kadri plays the left wing with Tavares or Matthews.

He has a better career totals than Couturier on a almost identical games played, but average 5 minutes less playing time per game. Underrated player. Sample size perspective beyond this season there for you.

A draft day steal again for Burke.

Thats just fair right.

Sure. He's a good player. So far, Kadri hasn't been trusted with increased minutes. There was talk of PK minutes (SC plays PK which contributes to his minutes).

Couturier is a good player too. Able to take more minutes and score with them. Also able to play the PK.

For a lower contract value and 2 years younger.

To me, that's a player worth having.

But not really sure what the point is... are you arguing that Kadri has the BEST contract in the NHL out of 800 contracts?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I also thought that Lindholm played really well, along with his two line mates.

Zaitsev had some really nice jump in his offensive game. He has Gardineritis at times defensively and polarized himself.

I don't think we had a great game going for some time now. Babcock was fighting with his assistant coach on the bench last night too. Did you see that yet??

Yeah fourth line was on pucks all night i agree

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Sure. He's a good player. So far, Kadri hasn't been trusted with increased minutes. There was talk of PK minutes (SC plays PK which contributes to his minutes).

Couturier is a good player too. Able to take more minutes and score with them. Also able to play the PK.

For a lower contract value and 2 years younger.

To me, that's a player worth having.

But not really sure what the point is... are you arguing that Kadri has the BEST contract in the NHL out of 800 contracts?

Sure yeah I'll chalkenge you to find a better one on a comparable context.

Couturier ain't it. Equal but not better to me.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Pick your spots much???

Kadri 77 g 149 points last rwo seasons and this

Couturier 68. G. 158 pts over same period with much more average ice time over said period total minutes.

Plus kadri and better career totals with a average of 5 minutes less ice time per recently. Wow great pick Burkie :)))
Whatever makes you sleep at night. You asked for rate scoring, I gave it to you, it's not even remotely close, and Couturier is a way better defensive centre too.

Changing the goalposts doesn't change the basic premise. What you did would be like me saying that Nylander is much better than Marner because he put up more points in calendar years 2016 and 2017.

Reactions: Pookie

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I do enjoy good research. Well done.

Now I will list the NHL's top-10 team's 3rd line centres in order of standing.

Tampa - Anthony Cirelli - 0.38PPG, ($728,333)
Calgary - Mark Jankowski - 0.42PPG, ($1,675,000)
San Jose - Joe Thornton - 0.62PPG, ($5,000,000)
Toronto - Nazem Kadri - 0.59PPG, ($4,500,000)
Winnipeg - Adam Lowry - 0.26PPG, ($2,916,666)
Nashville - Nick Bonino - 0.48PPG, ($4,100,000)
New York I - Valtteri Filppula - 0.40PPG, ($2,750,000)
Montreal - Jesperi Kotkaniemi - 0.48PPG, ($925,000)
Boston - Sean Kuraly - 0.26PPG, ($1,275,000)
Washington - Lars Eller - 0.44PPG. ($3,500,000)

The takeaway seems to be, if you can get about 0.40 PPG and a good cap hit, along with decent 2-way play, that is enough - as there is zero correlation between PPG of a 3rd line centre, and a team's win/loss record. The highest scoring 3rd line centre plays on the 23 ranked team.

7 of the teams did it with cap hits for the 3rd line centre under $3.5 million.

It would be interesting to do this for the last 10 cup winners, list their 3rd line centres with PPG and cap hit.

Last time i checked we are in a position of cap space. Don't forget to factor that in while you ate at it ok

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
So what would be the OP's solution if we trade Kadri and Tavares or Matthews gets injured? If you want to win a cup, then you need depth.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Whatever makes you sleep at night. You asked for rate scoring, I gave it to you, it's not even remotely close, and Couturier is a way better defensive centre too.

Changing the goalposts doesn't change the basic premise. What you did would be like me saying that Nylander is much better than Marner because he put up more points in calendar years 2016 and 2017.

Did you miss the news that Kadri was one of the best shut down centers in the league the previous two years gefore we signed Tavares.??

I'll take Kadri over Couturier and tell you again he has better offense than your boy at a average of less minutes career.

Stick to your carefully chosen and sickeningly small sample size context. I'm just telling you Kadri has done everything your boy has career and has been better of the two career wise.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
What is any teams solution if one of their top-2 centres gets injured?

They try to fill it the best way they can. The problem is that the Leafs have the depth, yet some fans would rather trade one of the best point producing third line centres and are happy replacing him with a downgrade. If we had centre depth in the minors that could play at an NHL level, then maybe they could think about trading Kadri.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Did you miss the news that Kadri was one of the best shut down centers in the league the previous two years gefore we signed Tavares.??

I'll take Kadri over Couturier and tell you again he has better offense than your boy at a average of less minutes career.

Stick to your carefully chosen and sickeningly small sample size context. I'm just telling you Kadri has done everything your boy has career and has been better of the two career wise.
Well, here's the thing. just because you say it and you believe it, doesn't make it true. That's how millenials believe the world works. There are facts and realities that can't be swept under the rug for the sake of opinion. The truth of the matter is, you are just plain wrong - the stats say it.

Go on the main board and try to trade Kadri for Couturier, and then come back here. Do it as a Flyers fan trying to trade Couturier even.

Reactions: Pookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->