GDT: #43| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders | January 12th | 1:00 PM | F/L 2-1

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Can't send him down, can't keep him up. What do you do with this kid?

Keep him up...because why can't you keep him up? It'd be one thing if he was getting replaced by someone with talent. Do you see the slugs who are taking his place?

Maybe the isles will beat Tampa tomorrow if ross Johnston hits someone hard! Or he'll get trapped in his own zone for 2 minutes at a time while actual nhl players skate circles around him. I definitely see one of those things happening very often!

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Eberle creates chances for sure and has looked good but he is 100% replaceable by JHS, if he is still around past the deadline it will be a shame.
I totally disagree JHS is nowhere near the player Eberle is and I’m not a fan of Eberle and don’t believe he will be here next year. Where JHS is right now there isn’t anyway I could see him as a upgrade over Eberle. I think isles will be very much active in free agency so I’d imagine they would target mark stone who would be an enormous upgrade on that second line.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
At least his contract is done after this season. We're stuck with Pelech for like 2 or 3 more years after this?

3 I believe. I don’t think Pelech is anywhere near as bad as Strait. He’s basically Hickey if you ask me. He has good games, okay games, and bad ones probably close to 1/3rd of the time each through the season

Reactions: dood

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
This team is not the same without JHS. Check their record over the last 3 years
With him in it. He just brings the speed and hands element that is needed.
Does it mean he’s perfect, NO it’s just a different looking team with him there

Reactions: CREW99AW

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
And of course Washington ties the game in the final minute, so their game vs Columbus will be a three point game. Could this day get any worse

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
All teams will have a flat spot during a long season. Isles had a massive couple of weeks over Chrissie and New Year but have flattened out since. Hopefully they can pick it up again shortly.
You have to think though that the focus for Trotz and Lou though is long-term, well beyond this season. They'd be wanting a team capable of winning a Stanley Cup and I doubt they expect to win it this year. They'd be laying the groundwork for a few seasons down the track as younger prospects develop. I'd be surprised if all their decisions weren't largely driven by that. So if Ho Sang has to go down to sharpen his game and become a more rounded player, even at the expense of the current team, that's understandable, and in fact desirable.
I doubt they will judge this season on making playoffs, but on the foundation that is laid for years to come.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I see Cooper started Domingue tonight. Funny that despite the fact we are a surprise this year I’ve noticed opposing coaches generally starting the better goalie against us when they’re on a back to back. Seemed that never happened even during the good years under Capuano

Yeah, I noticed that too. Glad they beat buff, we are still in PO position.

Better play near mistake hockey, ramp the intensity up, and keep that team off the PP.

Stammer is looking like the Stamkos of old.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Ye sorry I’ve hated the Rangers for almost 40 years now. One Judas does not sway that hate.

For this season, I hate the Laffs more.

The Rangers are crap, they pine for a Barzal to build around and so they throw a party every time one of their prospects almost scores a goal or almost makes a nice pass. They're stuck with Henrik because he wants to stay in NY and has a NMC. They're no threat this season so I am indifferent.

The Laffs window is this season before Matthews and Marner get paid big. They will have $40M tied in their 4 forwards next year and Nylander doesn't give a shit since he got paid hard. Their defense is garbage aside from Rielly and they are screwed if Andersen doesn't play or play well when he does. They also have Kapanen to pay after this season. Gardiner is a UFA. If they don't get it done this season, it becomes significantly more difficult to upgrade their weaknesses with so much money tied to so few players.

They are the Chicago Blackhawks post Cups without even a 1st round win. I hope we meet them in the 1st round. They are as soft as Charmin and not built for the playoffs.

norwegianislander

May 9, 2009
Hamar, Norway
Long time since I have been so angry after a loss. The Islanders f***ed this up really good on their own. When you cant score more than 1 goal and you have 6 PP and should even had a few more, you arent going to win in this league. I dont blame the ref, I blame Gomez, bad passing in to the center ice on marked players (what was that about last night??) and waaaaay to slow desicion making on the PP. When you have 4 playmakers and 1 shooter (cant hit anything by the way) somebody need to step up and shoot the fricking puck!!!!!

Reactions: brachyrynchos

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Yeah, I noticed that too. Glad they beat buff, we are still in PO position.

Better play near mistake hockey, ramp the intensity up, and keep that team off the PP.

Stammer is looking like the Stamkos of old.

Hate leaving points on the board against any weak opponent.

Especially with TB up next.

islesnyc

Jul 5, 2012
Wow, I get this was an Isles/Rags game but the reaction here seems a bit extreme. Not sure why everyone's dumping on Johnston. He had 1 prime scoring chance, 1 bad turnover that he got bailed out on and otherwise I thought was okay. 0 for 6 on PP is not his fault and why we blew the game.

I actually thought the Isles should have won the game. 2 posts from Leddy, Bails missing a pretty open net, an absolutely lights out save on Lee and a sneaky save on Brock to end the 2nd.

As a longtime Isles fan, I take solace in this: If the Rags had started Lundqvist, we win this game. When has that thought ever been appropriate. The King is finally dead!

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
How can anyone point the finger at Johnston?

0 for 6 on the PP , same old story. Trotz knows because when he eliminated us from the playoffs we were 0 for 17 in the series, that’s right 0 for 17.

Get a f***ñ clue and fire Gomez he’s been horrible since his arrival

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
How can anyone point the finger at Johnston?

0 for 6 on the PP , same old story. Trotz knows because when he eliminated us from the playoffs we were 0 for 17 in the series, that’s right 0 for 17.

Get a ****ñ clue and fire Gomez he’s been horrible since his arrival
All of these things are true, but in a general sense (not just based on one game), you should put the best team on the ice that gives you a chance to win. That lineup does not include Ross Johnston and there is no coincidence that the team has suddenly looked far worse and less creative once Johnston came into the lineup.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
All of these things are true, but in a general sense (not just based on one game), you should put the best team on the ice that gives you a chance to win. That lineup does not include Ross Johnston and there is no coincidence that the team has suddenly looked far worse and less creative once Johnston came into the lineup.
Not quite right. it's been four games now that the team looks mediocre, so that's before Johnston re-enters the lineup.

Reactions: MJF and Kevin27NYI

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Not quite right. it's been four games now that the team looks mediocre, so that's before Johnston re-enters the lineup.
The past two games against the Rags were the worst of our four consecutive mediocre performances. Again, Ross is good at what he does, but with Martin he is redundant and a waste of a lineup a spot that could go to a more creative skilled player.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The past two games against the Rags were the worst of our four consecutive mediocre performances. Again, Ross is good at what he does, but with Martin he is redundant and a waste of a lineup a spot that could go to a more creative skilled player.
Yesterday was not that bad. Cizikas puts in that post and we’re up 1-0 less than 2 minutes into the game. I know nobody wants to hear about the posts we hit but if those go in we’re not having this conversation now.

Johnston dressed because if he doesn’t the Rags spend the game goading Matt Martin and Scott Mayfield into the penalty box. 2 guys, given the makeup of the roster, that we can’t afford to have sitting for long stretches. It’s not an ideal situation with Johnston and Martin but I get where Trotz is coming from.

Again, special teams failed us just as it won it for us on Friday. We will sink because of our power play.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I know it’s not an excuse, but I’m amazed no one is talking about the ice. It was atrocious yesterday and clearly effected Barzal and some of our better skaters. That was to the rangers advantage yesterday and would be to our advantage tonight.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Finally got to watch it. With all the chances in the third we couldn't bury, I knew they were going to win on a cheapie.

PP is bad. Best chance was the Komarov feed to Beauvillier for the almost breakaway and penalty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad