GDT: #43| New York Rangers @ New York Islanders | January 12th | 1:00 PM | F/L 2-1

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
I'm fine with MDC getting back into the lineup but Johnston had zero effect on the loss, NONE. Leddy playing like a beer league guy and lets a 4th liner school him and a joke of a PP were the reasons we lost. And let's not pretend that MDC has been dominating play when he's in. He's played well but has he driven play and been the reason we've won, I'd say no.
Icing MDC over Johnston doesn’t guarantee a win

But it does guarantee you’re icing a better team, which gives you a better chance to win the game

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I'm fine with MDC getting back into the lineup but Johnston had zero effect on the loss, NONE. Leddy playing like a beer league guy and lets a 4th liner school him and a joke of a PP were the reasons we lost. And let's not pretend that MDC has been dominating play when he's in. He's played well but has he driven play and been the reason we've won, I'd say no.

You’re right Johnston had 0 effect on the game today in his what 6 minutes of ice time . Dal colle might’ve

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Pulock has to understand that the PP is not a hardest shot contest. need to get pucks on net instead of blasting it into no where. Accuracy finding a shooting lane is more important than how hard the shot is and he has to realise that he does not have Laine or OV kind of one timer. Maybe he needs to move up closer for his shot if accuracy is an issue.

I think the kid can improve but he needs to understand - accuracy over power on PP or pucks will get blocked or end up going down ice fast. The top D in the league except for big Buff & Burns (both of them have both played as forwards before) do not have power on the shot but they are quite accurate in the placement and can find shooting lanes quickly. Without good shot or quick pass from the point, PP can't work effectively.

The ref is not to be blamed today as Isles had their share of PP chance with 5 on 3. The need to have more urgency on the PP and have quicker entry in the zone with better point control. They have talents for the shots/passes but need have more drive & confidence. They were also a bit unlucky today as they hit a posts few time.

They will have bring their A++ game tomorrow and cash in on their scoring chances. They were also a bit unlucky today as they hit a few posts today.

Reactions: eoin92

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Kind of a meh performance. I don’t think we were totally awful but we have to be better than this. The Rags did a good job keeping us away from between the circles and out towards the boards in the 1st period. We had a much better second period. On the other hand, our passing was awful, the PP was awful, board work was awful, decision making was not sharp, Filppula had a brain dead moment a minute before Leddy made his brain dead mistake. Of course if we had put away 1 or 2 of the posts we hit maybe we’re not having this conversation.

As much as I get why we sent Ho-Sang down we either have to bring him back up or trade Eberle for someone who can skate. Otherwise we have 1 1/2 lnes with talent. We are slow and plodding. And if we can’t play Pelech, Sbisa cannot be the defenseman who dresses in his place. It’s time to waive Sbisa to send him down and bring up Aho.

I shudder to think about how we’re going to get skated circles around by the Lightning tomorrow night.

Last edited:

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Nope, Trotz is running this current version since Brock replaced Bailey on PP1. Running the PP in Washington with Brock in Ovi’s spot.
Are you sure about that? If that's the case, why during the timeout it was Gomez who gave his instructions to the players before the 5 on 3? Maybe Gomez is just a parrot and repeats Trotz's orders to the players?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
At this point in their career, the difference between the two is negligible

While the may be factually true, I’d argue that Dal Colle is the one with the higher upside going forward, and Dal Colle was ready to bust out. He creating multiple scoring chances by himself against Toronto and Chicago most notably.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
It's fairly obvious by now, warts and all, JHS needs to be playing on this team. I understand the demotion, but there is no time to waste. Message sent, now it's time for Lou and Trotz to make the smart decision and get this kid back in the line-up ASAP. They have no breakaway speed other than with Barzal. The team is too predictable and easy to contain. He opens the game up for the Isles points be damned.

Of course I have yet to watch the game thinking it was at 7 pm, but the slow ploddingness of this team without JHS is self evident. They can't win with all these old geezers in the line-up.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
While the may be factually true, I’d argue that Dal Colle is the one with the higher upside going forward, and Dal Colle was ready to bust out. He creating multiple scoring chances by himself against Toronto and Chicago most notably.

I agree going forward, my point is today. Johnston almost had a nice deflection in today, if that goes in, we aren't having this discussion.

My whole point is Trotz knows what he's doing and nobody can claim this was an egregious mistake as some are making this out to be. I think he played a hunch that it was going to be a dirty game so he went with the tougher player withour losing that much NHL level offense. I'm sure MDC will be back tomorrow, and I'm glad he will be, as we need to develop him into a scorer.

Reactions: seafoam

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I agree going forward, my point is today. Johnston almost had a nice deflection in today, if that goes in, we aren't having this discussion.

My whole point is Trotz knows what he's doing and nobody can claim this was an egregious mistake as some are making this out to be. I think he played a hunch that it was going to be a dirty game so he went with the tougher player withour losing that much NHL level offense. I'm sure MDC will be back tomorrow, and I'm glad he will be, as we need to develop him into a scorer.
Honestly with Lightnings speed they need to counter that with the best skaters they have in the system. That means Ho Sang just for this team to have a fighting chance.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I see Cooper started Domingue tonight. Funny that despite the fact we are a surprise this year I’ve noticed opposing coaches generally starting the better goalie against us when they’re on a back to back. Seemed that never happened even during the good years under Capuano

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Honestly with Lightnings speed they need to counter that with the best skaters they have in the system. That means Ho Sang just for this team to have a fighting chance.

I wouldn't count on that. I didn't watch the BP game last night but saw alot of comments on Twitter saying JHS was terrible defensively, and that's at the AHL level, imagine what the best NHL team would do with that.

He's got the tools offensively (playmaking-wise), but until he commits himself consistently in all 3 zones, it's gonna be difficult to get NHL coaches to trust him.

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
I wouldn't count on that. I didn't watch the BP game last night but saw alot of comments on Twitter saying JHS was terrible defensively, and that's at the AHL level, imagine what the best NHL team would do with that.

He's got the tools offensively (playmaking-wise), but until he commits himself consistently in all 3 zones, it's gonna be difficult to get NHL coaches to trust him.

That's him pouting. He can play defense at the AHL level he chose not to apparently. This kid could be done with his career if this be the case. Tired of his nonsense. But, yep, the team IS better with him in the line-up. Can't send him down, can't keep him up. What do you do with this kid?

Reactions: BTrotts19

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
That's him pouting. He can play defense at the AHL level he chose not to apparently. This kid could be done with his career if this be the case. Tired of his nonsense. But, yep, the team IS better with him in the line-up. Can't send him down, can't keep him up. What do you do with this kid?

I think they just hope he matures and will start doing what coaches want him to do, no matter what level he's at. It's ridiculous that a kid at a professional level "pouting" because he got sent down-I can't imagine what teammates feel about that but can't be good. I have a feeling he's gonna end up in Europe sometime soon, which would be a shame.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Was at the game today. Just a horrendous overall day. Team showed no energy, effort or intensity for the fourth straight game. Totally unacceptable. After that 10-1 stretch heading into games against below average teams like Carolina and the Rags (who were just recently getting destroyed by the likes of Arizona), the Isles should have been playing fast and relaxed and confident, with extra momentum and jump to keep the winning going. Instead they have badly regressed in the last week. This does not look like the same team we were watching for about the previous three weeks before that.

Right now Bailey and Leddy are by far and I mean FAR AND AWAY the biggest culprits, maybe with Eberle as a distant third. These guys look so lackadaisical, non competitive and comatose, you would think it was a pond hockey pick up game.

Next, I have to point out one thing, I love Trotz and everything he has done for this team and organization already, but I have to call him out on a few things. First, as soon Ho Sang was taken out of the lineup, it should be clear, and noticeably clear, to anyone that the team's offensive flow and balanced attack has went downhill and has gotten only worse since MDC has been taken out for Johnston. I know there are many Ross lovers on here and he is good at what he does, but he is not needed in this lineup as presently constituted. He is not a good hockey player and has very little skill. There is no explanation for why he should be in a lineup over JHS or MDC when you already have Matt Martin. This is a very curious coaching/management decision. This brings me to my next point. I found it very odd that the timing of Barry's comments about the team being 1-2 years away from being contenders. I feel like that is the kind of thing you say at the trade deadline when you are 10 points out of a playoff spot. Not immediately after your team has won 11 of 13 games and is 4 points from first in the division. I know if I was a player on the team, that would really rub me the wrong way. I know many are going to interpret it in a positive way as him trying to inspire the players, but I take it in a much different way, one which I know almost everybody will disagree with me on. But it seems to me that between not playing players that were clearly making the team better and giving us the best chance to win and suddenly coming out with that comment after the team's best stretch, it is almost like they did not want the team to be winning this much. Maybe that sounds very conspiracy theorist but something about it just rubs me the wrong way.

Finally, the lack of class from Rags fans today made me remember why I still hate them almost as much as the Leafs fans, and I expect nothing less from them. Our team played like crap, but the way they were acting after the game, you would think they had won the cup, I guess this is now THEIR Stanley Cup. I would be willing to bet a ton of money that the majority of their fans there did not even know they were 10 points behind us in the standings. One Rags fan was yelling at Isles fans on the bathroom line when was the last time we made the playoffs. I was like huh!!!!?????? The Rags didnt make the playoffs last year and they arent gonna make it this year. You would expect a little humility from them, being humble goes a long way Rags fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad