GDT: [#43] Dallas Stars @ Los Angeles Kings, 9:00 PM CST (NBCSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I really like the fact that we have an entire 4th line (Kiviranta - Gardner - Caamano) readily available for call-up. And they're cheap and all fast.

It's also why i don't think the team should spend even minors assets for some kind of veteran forwards . The team is filled with veteran forwards. What they need is to inject youth already in the AHL on ELC's when a veteran is out with something. If the team needs anything its another puck mover because thats kind of lacking on the lower pairs and its more obvious now with Klingberg out of the lineup. Maybe Johns can be an impact player again but if he can't be the team should look for some rental puckmover who can handle top 4 minutes.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also if a Central Division goalie pulls out of the ASG Khudobin should replace him. He's been unreal this year and this stats are just gaudy and Dobby is allways fun. Almost identical to Jarry's stats who just replaced someone .

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's also why i don't think the team should spend even minors assets for some kind of veteran forwards . The team is filled with veteran forwards. What they need is to inject youth already in the AHL on ELC's when a veteran is out with something. If the team needs anything its another puck mover because thats kind of lacking on the lower pairs and its more obvious now with Klingberg out of the lineup. Maybe Johns can be an impact player again but if he can't be the team should look for some rental puckmover who can handle top 4 minutes.

Agreed. We need more speed up front too.

I think we’ll have answers on Johns in 2-3 weeks. If he isn’t ready to go, I’d like to see us target Vatanen. Standing pat is fine too, and I suspect the cap will make that a necessity.

Reactions: JeffP

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Nill doesn’t seem like the kind of GM that trades away depth for picks when heading into the playoffs. He loves that depth.

I think he either packages a player like Janmark for an upgrade or he keeps everyone. And what value are you going to get for Janmark and a mid round pick?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If the Stars haven't slumped by the TDL, I expect Nill to tell us that "this group has earned the right to battle in the playoffs as it is," or some such.

Yes, he wants to replenish draft picks, but not at the expense of changing chemistry and affecting PO chances this year. And, for that matter, I think most of fans on boards like this are too quick to trade off everyone who isn't a star player. Janmark is playing his best ever, let's trade him away now! Say, huh? Don't you need players playing their best to win games, etc.? And to give that up for a third round pick that has a less than 50% chance of every developing into an NHL player? How is that any kind of short term or even long term value?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
The only thing in my eyes the Stars need is one more puckmover on the backend . With Klingberg on the shelf right now its very obvious that there is a problem there on the depth pairings . Oleksiak , Polak and Sekera aren't good at it and Fedun has some major warts . Esa isn't the greatest puckmover either .

The forward core is absolutely fine the way it is. Not to mention the Stars are pretty much capped out and have limited assets thanks to previous trades . The type of forward the Stars would need is not available with what the Stars have unless they want to trade good prospects and that shouldn't be done.

Stars made their big splash in the offseason. With the Hanzal LTIR space and the limited amount of picks at their disposal i wouldn't be suprised Stars couldn't add anything at the TDL .

I personally would not trade the 2020 first for example since we also don't have the 2nd and 3rd . Can't have a year completely without early round picks imho.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Yeah, the LA goal looked real bad, but in a way, its a good thing knowing they really had a communication mix up that allowed it. When they play their system, it's pretty stout.

As to Janmark, if we are going to not resign him, and lose him for nothing, if the FW corp has enough depth with Kiviranta and others providing that bottom 6 role just as well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to move Janny, as long as it was for a second, at least. Have to see what things look like at the TDL. Still think trading him is a long shot in a win it all year.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Yeah, the LA goal looked real bad, but in a way, its a good thing knowing they really had a communication mix up that allowed it. When they play their system, it's pretty stout.

As to Janmark, if we are going to not resign him, and lose him for nothing, if the FW corp has enough depth with Kiviranta and others providing that bottom 6 role just as well, I guess it wouldn't hurt to move Janny, as long as it was for a second, at least. Have to see what things look like at the TDL. Still think trading him is a long shot in a win it all year.

Janmark is one of the teams primary penalty killers. He's not getting traded just to get some kind of value before he presumeably signs somewhere else in UFA this summer. Thats not a smart thing to do . If he leaves and we don't get some magical mid round pick for him so be it.

By the way how come Janmark is already UFA this summer while Faksa is still RFA despite Faksa drafted a year earlier and both coming into the league the same year ( 15-16 ) ? Age ?

Reactions: Kipper 17

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Not sure about the contract statuses. Will check when I have time.

Yes, we agree it would take Janny falling off the PK, maybe converting a few of those breakaways, and thus becoming a coveted scoring fw addition at the TDL, enticing someone to overpay, if it turns out to be one of those "everyone is overpaying" type years. The last few have certainly not fetched as much as the old days for rentals.

But, even then, if Janny is scoring more, we need him for scoring depth, too. Probably no trades if we are anywhere close to the PO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad