42nd Overall - Francesco Pinelli

likid

Mar 27, 2011
Maribor
Did Kopitar’s dad scout him? Reading his profile on the prospects board, seems like he’s a steal at 42. Once again, the Kings move up to get who they want, but petulant children will continue to claim that Blake is asleep at the wheel.
He played part of last season for Kopitar dad club, where he started playing hockey and where he played almost all his profesional hockey career and where also Anze played before he moved to Sweden.

it is quite possible that Matjaz Kopitar actually arranged Pinneli to join Jesenice.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I didn’t say anything about punching people. He doesn’t engage physically. That doesn’t have anything to do with fighting. Are you his mom or something?

Yeah, I'm his mom. Witty retort. I'm just not out saying the kid is soft from my keyboard. Not every player is going to have that style. The kid pots goals and has great vision. Last time I checked, we don't have too many guys who have that type of skill. The league is full of pylons who engage all the time but have nothing else to add. We need more players like this since we keep coming back to Kaliyev as the one guy who fits the bill and there isn't much behind him.

This is what I'm looking at and realize that we need: "Pinelli is a creative and dynamic offensive player. His use of deceptive maneuvers and his vision allow him to constantly apply pressure to the opponent."

Last edited:

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
They said the same thing on sportnet about him

Well, then it must be a fact considering not too many draft prospectuses out there mentioned the word soft. I definitely use Sportsnet as my bible. Just because he doesn't do the dirty work, doesn't mean he is soft. Not every guy is going to go grinding in the corners. We can get that shit in the later rounds.

I just keep reading, highly skilled, great shot, creative, good vision, mobile, stealthy etc. How many of those do we have in our system at Forward?

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
Well, then it must be a fact considering not too many draft prospectuses out there mentioned the word soft. I definitely use Sportsnet as my bible. Just because he doesn't do the dirty work, doesn't mean he is soft. Not every guy is going to go grinding in the corners. We can get that shit in the later rounds.

I just keep reading, highly skilled, great shot, creative, good vision, mobile, stealthy etc. How many of those do we have in our system at Forward?
Agreed i am very high on him The scouts had him rated as high as 16 and low 36 so to get him at 42 it was a hell of a pick Just cause he's called soft doesn't mean a lot to me Only its something he can work on I wouldnt take to much offense to it

Reactions: AzKing

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
We can get that shit in the later rounds.

You really can't. I like this pick, Pinelli is a tantalizing prospect, but the idea of acquiring grit/toughness for little/no value is not really true. Tampa traded a 1st for Goodrow, the Leafs traded a 1st for Foligno, Tom Wilson was drafted 16th overall, both Tkachuks were lottery picks, etc. If you want toughness with a bit of talent it is really difficult to find it for cheap. We've also continuously seen how valuable that attribute is with these last few playoff runs, so it does need to be a consideration.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
these nepotistic picks with ties to org guys always make me a bit nervous but it sounds like he belongs up here in the draft regardless so i can't look too hard into it, not like he's some off the board pick to get matjaz's guy

i'm good with a bit of a gamble on an offensively gifted, good skating type guy

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Like the player and the value is right, but dammit, I do have to concur here. I don't care about fighting nearly as much as I am very concerned about the total lack of board play in the kids they have been drafting on the wing under this management group.

Don't want to distract from Pinelli's obvious quality, and I am excited to have him, but as a philosophy I just don't get it. They are weak along the wall in the NHL, AHL, and asset list. Can't be expected to contend if you can't consistently win battles to get pucks out of your zone.

Reactions: Vino and Reaper45

KingTech

Sep 20, 2020
One scout said soft skill [whatever the F that means], thats the quote. Bet he saw him play one game.
The way I took it was the announcers were just say what in genral he has to work on I wouldnt and won't get all worked up about it althou in a few years if it dont work for the kid im sure we will here all about it from my fellow fans

bland

Jul 1, 2004

But no, you don't get that in the later rounds. You need impact players who can win battles and make smart decisions once they get the puck, not just a big guy who can fill a spot on.the 4th line.

And man, last year it was Simontaival and Chromiak, then the new Russian kid, before that Kaliyev and Fagemo, then Kupari and Thomas the year before. The Kings are loadrd with skill and offense from the wing.

Reactions: Vino

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
these nepotistic picks with ties to org guys always make me a bit nervous but it sounds like he belongs up here in the draft regardless so i can't look too hard into it, not like he's some off the board pick to get matjaz's guy

I mean, the Kings drafted a kid they had plenty of time and opportunity to scout. We should hope every pick has some kind of tie to the organization, because that's how we get to know the most about these kids. But nepotism? We're not Arizona, who picked Shane Doan's son in the second round. I mean, yikes. Consensus third round pick going at 37. I'm of the mind that if we're making "nepotistic" picks because a guy is falling, I'm all for it. We know something other teams don't.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
You really can't. I like this pick, Pinelli is a tantalizing prospect, but the idea of acquiring grit/toughness for little/no value is not really true. Tampa traded a 1st for Goodrow, the Leafs traded a 1st for Foligno, Tom Wilson was drafted 16th overall, both Tkachuks were lottery picks, etc. If you want toughness with a bit of talent it is really difficult to find it for cheap. We've also continuously seen how valuable that attribute is with these last few playoff runs, so it does need to be a consideration.

They just addressed it though with Helenius. It seems like they had a plan and have executed it. I really can't complain on this draft. The Kings really have hit it out of the yard so far in my opinion and I'm not a Blake homer at all. I just think that they have nailed it this year.

Helenius was #28 on this list:

2021 Draft Rankings: Final Top-32 (May)

This description seems to fit what we needed: "Big, mean two-way centers with a nasty shot don’t grow on trees, and they’re even hard to find in Europe. But Helenius is exactly the type of hard-nosed pivot teams always seem obsessed with developing. He spent his entire draft year in the adult-age SM-Liiga and was a strong penalty killer in both league and international play."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

The Kings are going to take the overager Jesse Robitaille in the 5th or 6th round today.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
They just addressed it though with Helenius. It seems like they had a plan and have executed it. I really can't complain on this draft. The Kings really have hit it out of the yard so far in my opinion and I'm not a Blake homer at all. I just think that they have nailed it this year.

Helenius was #28 on this list:

2021 Draft Rankings: Final Top-32 (May)

This description seems to fit what we needed: "Big, mean two-way centers with a nasty shot don’t grow on trees, and they’re even hard to find in Europe. But Helenius is exactly the type of hard-nosed pivot teams always seem obsessed with developing. He spent his entire draft year in the adult-age SM-Liiga and was a strong penalty killer in both league and international play."

Oh, I like the draft so far, every guy we picked is exciting. My comment was more about the philosophy of trying to acquire heavier players for no value, I just don't think it is that easy. It's probably why Blake traded up for Helenius here.

Reactions: AzKing

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I’m late to the party here as I was working but love this pick. Kid has plenty of skill. Cosentino had him going late in the first in his last mock draft. Solid add to the prospect pool.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
Oh, I like the draft so far, every guy we picked is exciting. My comment was more about the philosophy of trying to acquire heavier players for no value, I just don't think it is that easy. It's probably why Blake traded up for Helenius here.

I'd say it's a complete draft if they can get a goalie who needs to put it altogether and has tools/high ceiling or another Defenseman with the same type of projection. I think you gamble here in the 3rd.

Reactions: crassbonanza

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The way I took it was the announcers were just say what in genral he has to work on I wouldnt and won't get all worked up about it althou in a few years if it dont work for the kid im sure we will here all about it from my fellow fans

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about whatever soft means when it comes to an 18 year old draft pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad