GDT: #42 Blue Jackets@Wild 4/13 8 p.m. EDT

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
He didn't target the head yet Arty was hit in the head and suffered a concussion. The league really has it out for the Jackets.

Wiz does that he gets a month long suspension.

True that.

Plus, the league completely looks disingenuous in it's claim to want to eliminate head shots. Whether intentional or not, the only way to stop them is to punish all of these hits. If you want to eliminate them it must be ingrained in the players heads to make them purposely avoid doing it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He didn't target the head yet Arty was hit in the head and suffered a concussion. The league really has it out for the Jackets.

Wiz does that he gets a month long suspension.

The difference I see is that Wiz made it obvious enough that he was targeting the head (he jumped his shoulder into the jaw), whereas Coyle is tall enough all he has to do is go in hard into a hit and he might get the head, and it's not easy to tell what he was trying to do.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Not even going to try and figure out what is a penalty anymore. Just going to ignore it. All I know is I saw a shoulder to the head as he was leveled. We have a player out for what will probably be the rest of this regular season, but it must have been justifiable homicide.

We seem to be drawing a fine line with the who principle point of contact thing. What I saw was head hunting, what others saw a good hit. Each there own I guess.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
144_21ccb2_1d494a1_oP.png.thumb

GhostofBoomer

Dec 15, 2007
Columbus, OH
Charlie Coyle faces no discipline. #NHL Dept of Player Safety determined that there was no targeting of Ansimov's head. #mnwild #cbj

That's an interesting decision to say the least. Anisimov put himself in somewhat of a vulnerable position, but there were ways for Coyle to play the puck without directly contacting Arty's head. It was a stupid play and an even dumber conclusion from Shanny's office.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
:dunno: I didn't see deliberate headhunting, but I did see a reckless and dangerous play of the type that the NHL is ostensibly trying to get rid of. I figured getting tossed was a tad extreme but it equated to karmic justice so I didn't mind at all. :D

So, yeah, the decision makes some sense to me. Not what I want, but what I think of as fair and what I want anyways don't always match.

foobar

Apr 13, 2013
Don't mean to be a wet blanket but with exception of BOB, I thought we were pretty terrible all night. The Wild had their way in our zone and we couldn't stop them. On offense, the two times we managed to shoot from inside we scored, but the rest of the time it seemed the Wild pushed us to the outside. I hope it's just a situation with Minnesota that we don't match up well and play like we did against SJ and St.L.

This.
The whole team absolutely struggled in the neutral zone - haven't seen so many inaccurate passes in a while.
If it wasn't for Bobrovsky, the outcome would be similar to the last game you played with Minnesota.
Hope you get better - this last game was really bad, but lucky for you, the "better" team did not win this time ;)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
:dunno: I didn't see deliberate headhunting, but I did see a reckless and dangerous play of the type that the NHL is ostensibly trying to get rid of.

Don't know, went straight for the head. You can try and draw distinction if you like, but I don't see much difference in all the adjectives you used other than intent. Do I think he intended to finish he check no matter what position the opposing player was? Sure seemed that way to me.

At any rate, it's not worth talking about anymore. Results aren't going to change and I'm never going to get an answer that I agree with, nor will I never understand the league's decision making processes. I'm already bored with this whole affair.

We are without our impact player and some noob player that hardly anyone knows much about that is already building a reputation for recklessness is out there skating today. Seems about right to me. I think the league does a great job of keeping the world guessing.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
This.
The whole team absolutely struggled in the neutral zone - haven't seen so many inaccurate passes in a while.
If it wasn't for Bobrovsky, the outcome would be similar to the last game you played with Minnesota.
Hope you get better - this last game was really bad, but lucky for you, the "better" team did not win this time ;)

I'm not too worried about their performance last night. It was the 2nd night of a back to back and the Wild were relatively rested going into the game. The Jackets looked a bit gassed in the third. Hopefully they get rested today and come out firing tomorrow night.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not too worried about their performance last night. It was the 2nd night of a back to back and the Wild were relatively rested going into the game. The Jackets looked a bit gassed in the third. Hopefully they get rested today and come out firing tomorrow night.

Unfortunately after Colorado we have one day off and then another back to back, in LA and Anaheim. That's 5 games in 7 nights. Fortunately the team won't have to fly over night as it did into Minnesota.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't know, went straight for the head. You can try and draw distinction if you like, but I don't see much difference in all the adjectives you used other than intent. Do I think he intended to finish he check no matter what position the opposing player was? Sure seemed that way to me.

That's pretty much what I meant when I referred to it as being reckless and dangerous. Wasn't out to target the head, but he didn't exactly pull up when it was clear the head was going to end up being the target.

And I draw a distinction only because I care about that sort of thing when it comes to punishment; it shows in what fashion the player has to be educated so that crap doesn't happen again. If it's just "I can just go finish my check, there won't be problems", then it's just naivete of the young and can be easily fixed. If it's "I can take him out hard 'cause he's in a vulnerable spot," **** him and everything he stands for. :)

Either way I am none too pleased with the present result. But the distinction is important to me w/r/t the future.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
That's pretty much what I meant when I referred to it as being reckless and dangerous.

I suppose he can claim it was a happy accident. If he didn't intend a head shot, he would have attempted to avoid the target. Razor thin distinction you have going on there. I got on Dorse and Boll when they were crossing the line, this guy needs to be held accountable. You are told that you are responsible for your stick, it is about time you are told you are responsible for your shoulder.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Certainly hold Coyle accountable, but..

I suppose he can claim it was a happy accident. If he didn't intend a head shot, he would have attempted to avoid the target. Razor thin distinction you have going on there. I got on Dorse and Boll when they were crossing the line, this guy needs to be held accountable. You are told that you are responsible for your stick, it is about time you are told you are responsible for your shoulder.

Even with Bob playing out of his mind I can't help but thinking having Artie out indefinitely due to a concussion makes it extremely hard for us to keep pace. This point alone makes me sick..

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Funny how something happens and we think "well THIS has to be the time our run ends," yet it never does. This club has some serious perseverance.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Do we call up Boone Jenner now? Seems like we've boxed ourselves in by saying he needs to earn his way to the big club. How in the world are we going to find more offense?

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Noooooooooooooooooooo no no no.

A full year of him on his ELC is far more important than forcing him into our lineups as a 4th liner in our improbable playoff push.

He gets 5 games without burning a year of his contract. That said, I'm just provoking discussion. Not actually advocating his call-up.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
He can play 5 regular season games without it counting toward his ELC

He can but who's to say he's ready, particularly with the pressure cooker this season turned out to be. Better for him to play in Sprinfield and get AHL playoff experience. He'l be better for it next year and someone we can hope for.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
He gets 5 games without burning a year of his contract. That said, I'm just provoking discussion. Not actually advocating his call-up.

I knew that, I think I said at one time I'd like to see him up with the big club before the season ended but I was more interested in seeing him play than hoping he would impact our playoff attempt..

I'd keep him down; we will get to see him next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad