GDT: #42 Blue Jackets at Tampa chainsaw massacre. |1-8-19 7:30 PM

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
That's what you're doing if you move Panarin for lesser assets.

But if you want to focus on the terminology, fine. Instead replace "sell" with "immediately make the team as assembled worse." Teams in playoff positions don't do that at the TDL. At least not intentionally.

We could flip the panarin assets for another player. Hell if Ottawa gives us permission we could use those assets and trade for duchene or stone, sign them, and boom, there we go. It’s not as good as panarin, but it gives you a piece to move forward with.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

major major

Feb 18, 2013
That would be ideal, yeah. I dont think we’re incredibly far off. Certainly don’t need 1OA to do it (I mean, other than Stamkos they didn’t either.)

Yeah you don't need 1OA, but 1OA isn't enough, and probably nothing is. That's the problem with using the Lightning as a measuring stick. It points us towards mailing it in, and it probably always will.

I want to keep him, but if he doesn’t want to stay why prolong his stay?

He hasn't shown any interest in being traded. Quite the opposite. This is his team this year, he just wants to live elsewhere long run.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Tonite just proved that even with Bread we are a good but not elite team. I wish Jarmo would seriously try to make us an elite team rather than "building from within" a good but not great team.

My view of Bread is ship him out if he does not want to stay.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We could flip the panarin assets for another player. Hell if Ottawa gives us permission we could use those assets and trade for duchene or stone, sign them, and boom, there we go. It’s not as good as panarin, but it gives you a piece to move forward with.

I'm going to have to assume that #25 & Milano-like player is not actually an offer you'd find acceptable and you just misspoke. Because it wouldn't be enough to even rent Duchene or Stone, much less enough for a sign-and-trade.

In my opinion if we want to spend the assets to do a sign-and-trade for Duchene or Stone at the deadline, then we should do that. It's not strongly dependent on the Panarin decision. If anything adding Duchene/Stone makes it more likely that we should keep Panarin and go for it.

Reactions: Palm Tree

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Tonite just proved that even with Bread we are a good but not elite team. I wish Jarmo would seriously try to make us an elite team rather than "building from within" a good but not great team.

And here I was thinking I agreed with you for once.

I don't think the night after playing the Lightning is a good time to make decisions about roster construction.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm going to have to assume that #25 & Milano-like player is not actually an offer you'd find acceptable and you just misspoke. Because it wouldn't be enough to even rent Duchene or Stone, much less enough for a sign-and-trade.

In my opinion if we want to spend the assets to do a sign-and-trade for Duchene or Stone at the deadline, then we should do that. It's not strongly dependent on the Panarin decision. If anything adding Duchene/Stone makes it more likely that we should keep Panarin and go for it.

No. I'd still accept it, depending on the prospect. That's still a first round pick and a top-ish prospect. That's not a bad haul for a soon to be UFA who won't sign with you (theortically).

Doing a sign and trade for Duchene or Stone and keeping Panarin is fine with me, but they have to come signed. No rental Duchene or rental Stone. That way, if/when Panarin walks it eases the burden and you still have something left behind. Letting Panarin leave as your own rental without adding anything long term to shield yourself (No, not Tarasenko for Werenski) is a disaster, and blind trust into your roster.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

My issue here is this Tampa team is probably the best team the NHL has see in a number of years. So lots of teams try to get there (elite) but short of winning the lottery (with an elite talent) it's almost impossible to do.
So if you really think trading Bread for a 20-something draft pick puts us on the road to being elite then do it.

Heck if you watched the game last night one of the first things to do is to dump Jones who played terribly. I'm 100% for building around him, but if based one on game that would be the guy who would bring the most assets.

Reactions: Monk

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Heck if you watched the game last night one of the first things to do is to dump Jones who played terribly. I'm 100% for building around him, but if based one on game that would be the guy who would bring the most assets.
Actually 3 games now. Jones has been bad since year started. Yes, he scored an OT winner, but other than that, it is been turnover machine and bad defence festival.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We could flip the panarin assets for another player.
That never works, because then GMs know you're after something else and have gotten a surplus of things you don't need, and so you'll get underbid. It's basically announcing "I Am Desperate" to the world. It's how you get ripped off.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
What would you consider doable?

Pick #25 in the draft and a prospect similar to Milano?

Depends on the prospect, but yeah basically that’s fine with me.

I see both sides.

1st round pick & a prospect sounds low knowing the player Panarin is..

At the same time, that doesn't make the Jackets better in the immediate future... but down the road could be seen as getting what you could considering the circumstances and not losing an asset for nothing like we more than likely will with Bobrovsky.. :dunno:

I'm just glad I'm not Jarmo because based on what the offers probably are, it seems like a lose-lose situation unless Bread just suddenly decides he's gonna re-sign with us.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I would not be against moving Panarin if they have an agreement in place to immediately (as in that very day) bring in a first line player. But the odds of that occurring are slim.

If all the team gets out of him is a late 1st and prospect come draft day, then I would argue his 30 games and some potential playoff success is more valuable to the team. A late 1st and prospect doesn't sell tickets or lend the team the legitimacy it badly needs. Making the playoffs and hopefully winning a round does.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
That never works, because then GMs know you're after something else and have gotten a surplus of things you don't need, and so you'll get underbid. It's basically announcing "I Am Desperate" to the world. It's how you get ripped off.

“Oh that? That’s just the rustoleum undercoating protection charge. It will help keep your new car beautiful and maintain its resell value. Just sign here. “

Reactions: Viqsi

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'm just glad I'm not Jarmo because based on what the offers probably are, it seems like a lose-lose situation unless Bread just suddenly decides he's gonna re-sign with us.

Agree 100%. Team is playing ok (as folks have mentioned beating up on bad teams, losing to good teams) and likely a playoff team but not showing the ability to get hot. You can see from folks on this board that it's almost 50/50 to hold or fold for 2018-19. I also agree at this point I don't see teams offering much for Panarin. Now that could change as we get closer to deadline if injuries occur or a team gets desperate.

But for Jarmo that will be a tough thing to sell if we trade Bread unless it's multiple picks and prospects. I still wonder status of Rick Nash. Would be a perfect little thing to do for casual hockey fan (hey yes we traded Bread but look who we brought back).

Other hand if he holds them and we get beat in first round other folks will be complaining about losing them for nothing.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Agree 100%. Team is playing ok (as folks have mentioned beating up on bad teams, losing to good teams) and likely a playoff team but not showing the ability to get hot. You can see from folks on this board that it's almost 50/50 to hold or fold for 2018-19. I also agree at this point I don't see teams offering much for Panarin. Now that could change as we get closer to deadline if injuries occur or a team gets desperate.

But for Jarmo that will be a tough thing to sell if we trade Bread unless it's multiple picks and prospects. I still wonder status of Rick Nash. Would be a perfect little thing to do for casual hockey fan (hey yes we traded Bread but look who we brought back).

Other hand if he holds them and we get beat in first round other folks will be complaining about losing them for nothing.

He dumped Brandon Saads salary for next two seasons. If Panarin leaves, it wasn’t for nothing. He will have extra $6 million plus burning a hole in his UFA pocket.

Reactions: Crede777

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He dumped Brandon Saads salary for next two seasons. If Panarin leaves, it wasn’t for nothing. He will have extra $6 million plus burning a hole in his UFA pocket.
Plus the experience of making the playoffs again this season will be extremely valuable for the young guys (PLD, Werenski, Jones, etc.).

Reactions: Monk and Bobcat110

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Plus the experience of making the playoffs again this season will be extremely valuable for the young guys (PLD, Werenski, Jones, etc.).

Regarding Rick Nash, I hope he stays retired. He should be set financially. No amount of money is worth risking his long term well being. Maybe they can get him involved with the organization in some other way.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Why does losing to the team that is well above every other team in the league mean that this team isn't a very good team? I'm confused here. Tampa averages over 4 goals per game....lets get some perspective people.
It has nothing to do with losing to Tampa, it was expected, but they can't beat a good team lately. Even Rags and Cats carried them to OT.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
on a positive note, I thought Kukan played pretty well in the game. Didn't see the goal against with him on the ice but a lot of the time he was moving the puck up ice with speed and did a great job being physical.

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->