GDT: [#41] Nashville Predators at Dallas Stars - Cotton Bowl Winter Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Preds looked dangerous for, maybe, 5 minutes, and most of that was on a 5-on-3.

Stars played their game tonight and it payed off.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Incredible day

Surprised you're still standing after that game.

giphy.gif

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Wow that was amazing

What a great way to kick off 2020 too let's f***ing go. The crowd after that Radulov goal was music to my ears

Sucks about Perry though. Probably at least a 5 game suspension

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Where is Heiskanen's production? Haven't seen his name on the board for quite some time now.

Just a bad luck stretch for him offensively. He makes plays every night and generates tons of chances consistently, but like I said things just aren't bouncing/going his way right now offensively.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
What a game.

Everything inside the stadium was phenomenal. Incredible atmosphere, crowd was loving it (especially once the scoring began), lots of other entertainment.

Everything outside sucked mostly because no one could f***ing move. They should’ve had way more of Fair Park open than they did, and there’s no excuse for that. Stanley Cup picture lines were pushing 3-4 hours, the activities were fine but not amazing, and the organization of the fair was total chaos. Honestly, for me and my group, it would’ve been better without the Fair fluff.

Still an awesome game and experience. I loved it.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
It was great to be there. The lines for everything inside and out sucked. When we left had to go out on complete opposite side of fair. As said more should have been opened up. Inside they were so concerned with making money. They had beer carts right in the entrance to get in the cotton bowl. Made just getting in suck. Once game started it was great except that band that had to have been brought by the Purds. They sucked. The other entertainment was played off the fair with the pig races and mutton busting. Nothing seemed too over the top cheesy.

Blindsummit

Jun 3, 2017
Alberta
What an amazing day! Agree entirely about the experience outside the arena and the lines. But once inside the Cotton Bowl we had an awesome time. Met up with all our Stars fam and after the game headed to Deep Ellum for drinks and revelry. The boys did us proud. A day to remember!

Reactions: LatvianTwist

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Would have posted sooner, but just got home on the train. Not really, but I was a bit too tired when I finally did get home last night.

As a bucket list item, I was worried I would be disappointed. I was not!

Worried about rain, didn't happen. Worried about the view from the upper deck, but it was great. No worse than my first row upper deck days at AAC. Picked seats of the sunny side for warmth, risking looking into the sun, didn't happen. Etc. Great job by the Stars and NHL, even if the Texas theme was a little over the top. I did appreciate the punny pig race names, like "Porka" Rinne, Ryan Jo Ham son, etc. Thought they might, too at least while they were ahead.

I had some friends from NSH coming in to see the game, and I spend enough time there to know they fans aren't "Trashville" as some here think. Have to say, fans of both sides were mixed all over the stadium and got along well, despite their teams fortunes seeming down at different times of the game. Hope that was the same for everyone. My standard line on exit was, "Well, I hoped you enjoyed the other parts of your stay in Dallas." A mix of snark and respect, LOL.

The funny think was, I can be as negative as anyone on the Stars fan base when things aren't going well. Maybe it was the PA announcement warning bad behavior would result in removal, or whatever. Or maybe it was all the recent comebacks, but I didn't feel the Stars were out of it at 0-2. Seguin's sanguine attitude that they would play better in the second period helped, as did the 5x5 stats, which meant the Stars had some bad luck, but weren't playing badly. Neither team was giving up on the national broadcast.

My wife and I were interviewed by some media upon entering the Cotton Bowl. Didn't recognize them, but seemed like national contingent (although wearing an ABC jacket) with a focus on the "Whoda Thunk this many fans would come to a hockey game in Texas." Told the old joke about the 17,000 fans at AAC being the only 17,000 hockey fans in Texas, but this proved them wrong. Don't know if it ever aired anywhere, but he said I gave him just the kind of quote he was looking for. LOL. I have been called "quotable" a few times when I deal with media.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
No hostility intended with this question - yesterday's game was great.

Do you guys know what percentage of the sell out was legitimate vs. being given away? I know when we had it six or so years ago, it wasn't a fully legitimate sell out.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Would have posted sooner, but just got home on the train. Not really, but I was a bit too tired when I finally did get home last night.

As a bucket list item, I was worried I would be disappointed. I was not!

Worried about rain, didn't happen. Worried about the view from the upper deck, but it was great. No worse than my first row upper deck days at AAC. Picked seats of the sunny side for warmth, risking looking into the sun, didn't happen. Etc. Great job by the Stars and NHL, even if the Texas theme was a little over the top. I did appreciate the punny pig race names, like "Porka" Rinne, Ryan Jo Ham son, etc. Thought they might, too at least while they were ahead.

I had some friends from NSH coming in to see the game, and I spend enough time there to know they fans aren't "Trashville" as some here think. Have to say, fans of both sides were mixed all over the stadium and got along well, despite their teams fortunes seeming down at different times of the game. Hope that was the same for everyone. My standard line on exit was, "Well, I hoped you enjoyed the other parts of your stay in Dallas." A mix of snark and respect, LOL.

The funny think was, I can be as negative as anyone on the Stars fan base when things aren't going well. Maybe it was the PA announcement warning bad behavior would result in removal, or whatever. Or maybe it was all the recent comebacks, but I didn't feel the Stars were out of it at 0-2. Seguin's sanguine attitude that they would play better in the second period helped, as did the 5x5 stats, which meant the Stars had some bad luck, but weren't playing badly. Neither team was giving up on the national broadcast.

My wife and I were interviewed by some media upon entering the Cotton Bowl. Didn't recognize them, but seemed like national contingent (although wearing an ABC jacket) with a focus on the "Whoda Thunk this many fans would come to a hockey game in Texas." Told the old joke about the 17,000 fans at AAC being the only 17,000 hockey fans in Texas, but this proved them wrong. Don't know if it ever aired anywhere, but he said I gave him just the kind of quote he was looking for. LOL. I have been called "quotable" a few times when I deal with media.
Concessions and souvenier shopping was an absolute disaster

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Do you guys know what percentage of the sell out was legitimate vs. being given away? I know when we had it six or so years ago, it wasn't a fully legitimate sell out.

They sold 65,000 in pre-sales, and the other 20,000 as soon as they became available to the public. So I don't think "give aways" were a factor.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX

Unlike many regular home games, announced as sell outs, but without a full stadium, a quick look around showed nearly every seat filled.

The Stars did an interesting thing this year with at least the half season ticket plans - The Winter Classic and opening night were not in the package and had to be bought separately. Each half season plan had 20 games and the optoin to buy opening night, and some priority ranking to get Classic tickets. And, I don't think the full season tickets got it included either, probably because they had to choose different seats anyway. Alas, no corporate tickets were unused as in most regular season games.

If you bought a ticket, you wanted a ticket and were probably more likely to use it. At least, IMHO. I don't really know how many comps the league gave away, but I do know many tickets were reserved for out of towners.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
nothing much new to add, merely confirm.. the game was an absolute blast, the side entertainment kitschy but fun, the view even from the upper bowl was still great (better than high in the lower bowl with the upper deck crowding you), and the outside of the stadium events a disaster.
Absolutely mind boggling how they couldn't plan for the crowd. i've never been in such a dense, impossible to move crowd like that. literally took 45 minutes to "walk" from the exit of the ferris wheel to the nearest entrance of the stadium (seemingly the only one open) because you couldn't move. (should have been a 5 min jaunt) in a happy side effect, i think that drove a lot of folks into the stadium early, so the energy was high well before puck drop.
never even considered buying a souvenir or food bc the lines were absurd. no way they do that poor of a job during tx/ou weekend.. someone(s) should/could have lost a job over this. i was embarrassed for our community on that level.. DART had a bad look, too with the light rail. we gave the stadium 30/40 min to clear out before even going to the station and waited almost 2 more hours in a mob/makeshift line to get on a train. it's almost as if the quantity of tickets sold was classified info..

oh, and whoever picked the set list for dan and shay was smoking crack. such a buzzkill.. slow dance tunes were not ideal to get energy up in the venue.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
The crowds made me worry a bit about a human crush occurring. Those have killed dozens in the past and occur in scenarios just like what happened yesterday.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
They sold 65,000 in pre-sales, and the other 20,000 as soon as they became available to the public. So I don't think "give aways" were a factor.

500 were given away to that school.

add another 500 in for staff, family, friends, etc.

Who knows how many corporate giveaways..

So I wouldn't say it is none, but the amount isn't anything crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->