Post-Game Talk: #41 | FLYERS at Sabres | Saturday, Jan. 22, 2022 | 1:00 pm ET |

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
My contention has never been that Fletcher is perfect.

My contention is that Ron Hextall bears the vast amount of responsibility for the hole the Flyers are in.

In shades of gray, Hextall’s blame is a very dark gray. Too many here want to shift the blame to Fletcher for being unable to quick-fix what turned out to be a very deep mess created by the prior regime.

It's been three years. That's not quick-fix territory.

So you must also give full credit for the Montreal series win to Hextall, right? Since Fletcher doesn't deserve credit for that based on what youre saying now to pretend Fletcher isn't at fault for his roster.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
The hilarious aspect of the past few pages regarding the depth veterans is that it was made clear a change in the dressing room was necessary, with added leadership. And now many -- especially those who approved of this influx of veteran voices -- are complaining that there is still no leadership, no compete level, etc.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The hilarious aspect of the past few pages regarding the depth veterans is that it was made clear a change in the dressing room was necessary, with added leadership. And now many -- especially those who approved of this influx of veteran voices -- are complaining that there is still no leadership, no compete level, etc.
People actually think that leadership can make bad players suddenly play better.

I saw someone on Twitter literally state “well what’s the point of wearing the C then?” when told that a captain can’t control the play of his teammates and force them to stop sucking.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I think the moves were dictated by AV, he wanted veteran RHDs, he wanted veteran depth, he wanted to get rid of Ghost and Voracek.
Risto was the only player with a major role.
Yandle was projected as the #6 D-man, sheltered by Braun. Like in Florida the year before.
Thompson was the 13th forward before forwards started their Spinal Tap drummer imitations.
Jones is the backup goalie, he's better than Elliott. Ain't saying much, but better alternatives cost money and multiple years.

The rest were added due to injuries, Brassard when Laczynski went down, Brown, MacEwen when Allison et al pulled up lame.
At that point, no one was left, most of the veteran FAs were signed in July, and the majority to multi-year contracts.
Just be thankful we didn't get someone like Bonino (40g 4-1 4 at ES) on a 2yr/$4M contract.
Signing veterans on these deals is always a gamble. Some work, Heinen at $1.1M/1 yr, some don't.

If you want to blame Fletcher for something, blame him for overestimating how good the young players he inherited really were.
But I don't think he was given the option of reloading last summer.
Fletcher said he wanted FISTO FOR YEARS!!! STOP WITH THE LIES!!!!

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

So basically winning = success?

Getting rid of Claude Giroux will change this organization. He's the last of the losers! /sarcasm

Couturier and Giroux are the only two players from 2011 left right? Maybe at some point it'll be obvious that organizational management is to blame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad