Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Hoglander imo should be getting as much hype as Podz. We may have ourselves our own Brad Marchand. Hogs likes to play around the crease and in front of the net too on the PP despite his size. Hands and skating are excellent.

That would be great, he could play with our Bergeron (Sutter), now we just need to sign our Chara (Tryamkin). Too bad we let our 2nd Bergeron (Granlund) go.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
It will drive the Benning haters nuts as they want the draftees to fail to support their narrative but I think this kid will carve out a spot on the team in the near future.

Ughggggggggghggggghh. SO much facepalm.

I hate Benning and his flagrantly bad moves, but I was yelling at the screen to take Hoglander and want every prospect to succeed so the team can be good, regardless.

Your narrative is far worse. (That people actively cheer for the Canucks and the prospects to be bad just because they hate Benning.)

And it's simply false.

People have many justified reasons to dislike Benning's body of work. Don't try to play it like people need to invent other ones. They do not.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
That would be great, he could play with our Bergeron (Sutter), now we just need to sign our Chara (Tryamkin). Too bad we let our 2nd Bergeron (Granlund) go.

Don't forget our Dominik Hasek (Markstrom), our Gretzky (Pettersson), and our Lubimir Vaic is MacEwan.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
He's in a good position. Has SHL to play in while upcoming NHL and AHL seasons very much in doubt. Same with Podkolzin in KHL. Rathbone also has to be thinking about playing overseas.

Maybe Tryamkin signing short term in KHL is also not as big a blow as it's been made out to be.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Those comparing him to Marchand are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Marchands development curve just doesn’t happen. The guy was also a 20 goal scorer from the moment he stepped into the NHL.

If we got a Jannik Hansen type player that would be a steal. An elite third liner who can chip in roughly 15 goals a season, while being able to play in the top 6 from time to time is still a great find in the second round.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Marchands development curve just doesn’t happen. The guy was also a 20 goal scorer from the moment he stepped into the NHL.

If we got a Jannik Hansen type player that would be a steal. An elite third liner who can chip in roughly 15 goals a season, while being able to play in the top 6 from time to time is still a great find in the second round.
Marchand or BUST

Reactions: VancouverJagger

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
Ughggggggggghggggghh. SO much facepalm.

I hate Benning and his flagrantly bad moves, but I was yelling at the screen to take Hoglander and want every prospect to succeed so the team can be good, regardless.

Your narrative is far worse. (That people actively cheer for the Canucks and the prospects to be bad just because they hate Benning.)

And it's simply false.

People have many justified reasons to dislike Benning's body of work. Don't try to play it like people need to invent other ones. They do not.
I've read where y2k absolutely stated he wanted all the prospects and team to fail just so jb would get fired so it has happened but he's the only one who so blatantly called for this complete collapse of the team.
Perhaps theres more who believe this ?

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
You got to be excited about the combo of skill and competitive fire this kid has. It really bodes well for him being able to hack it as a top six player in the NHL. And if not, maybe as a part of an offensive 3rd liner.

How's his defense?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I'm afraid I don't see any comparison between Hoglander and Hansen, other than the fact that Hoglander might initially end up on the third and fourth line as he's eased into the NHL.

Hansen was a winger with good wheels straight ahead; and forechecked hard but had hands of stone. An above average penalty-killer, he basically only had a couple of decent offensive seasons and one of those came when he played briefly with the Sedins.

Hoglander, on the other hand, is a high-end scoring talent who might actually thrive once he gets on the smaller ice. He'll be a staple on one of the two pp units and he'll always play with a serious edge. If bigger forwards or d-men try to take advantage of him, up will come the elbows.

I can actually see some of the comparisons to Marchand, particularly when you review those elbow shots that got Hoglander suspended. Not only do you get the high-end skill, lacrosse-style goals and seeing-eye shots, but he'll be an aggravating player to play against. It's a pretty rare combination.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

Jannik Hansen is a terrible comparison. Hopefully he turns out to be a more skilled Arvidson

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Hansen had no hands, and very limited ability to drive play. Hogs has phenomenal hands, and drives play. These two aren’t even comparable. I think some of us see a Marchand type player in Hogs fir several reasons. First they are both shorter, left shot, fireplug built wingers. Second they both have elite hands, and puck skills. And finally they both have a meanness in their games. Where is see the big difference is Hogs isn’t a dirty rat.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Jannik Hansen is a terrible comparison. Hopefully he turns out to be a more skilled Arvidson
I don't think the comparison was meant to be based on the style of play. Moreso on how unrealistic expectations lead to poor evaluations. It's been a problem of this management group.

The whole Virtanen Tuch thing is hilarious.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Hansen had no hands, and very limited ability to drive play. Hogs has phenomenal hands, and drives play. These two aren’t even comparable. I think some of us see a Marchand type player in Hogs fir several reasons. First they are both shorter, left shot, fireplug built wingers. Second they both have elite hands, and puck skills. And finally they both have a meanness in their games. Where is see the big difference is Hogs isn’t a dirty rat.
Would Jaden Schwartz be a good comparable?

Reactions: Luckylarry

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I've read where y2k absolutely stated he wanted all the prospects and team to fail just so jb would get fired so it has happened but he's the only one who so blatantly called for this complete collapse of the team.
Perhaps theres more who believe this ?
Honestly, I don't even think he really believes that.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I think people needed slow down on the top line player comparisons. Reminds me of all the people penciling Kole Lind as a top 6 forward a few years ago.
True but Kole LInd didn't even make the U20 team for Canada let alone lead it.

Just listened to Craig Button interview and he's convinced Hoglander and Podkolzin are big parts of our future and soon.

I have little doubt the kid can be a Schwartz comparable (he's that talented) but lets see how his skating speed comes along first. and how he deals with bigger athletes in a faster game 2nd. Schwartz can fly and is ultra competitive.

I like the comp. Needless to say if both those guys can score and play with the levels of compete we have seen so far and do it in the NHL we have some extremely valuable commodities. That's exciting

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I think people needed slow down on the top line player comparisons. Reminds me of all the people penciling Kole Lind as a top 6 forward a few years ago.
Yeah, comparables usually are wack because you don't know how a prospect is going to develop and development is rarely linear.
In the future you usually look stupid making comparables. I have for sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
There are exceptions to the rule (think Jordan Schroeder). But generally a player who finishes near the top of the points parade in the WJC is a good bet to be a decent scorer at the NHL level. So I'm not concerned at all about Hoglander's offense translating to the NHL.

The only question is how fast he can pick up the defensive side of the game to earn the trust of Green.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
There are exceptions to the rule (think Jordan Schroeder). But generally a player who finishes near the top of the points parade in the WJC is a good bet to be a decent scorer at the NHL level. So I'm not concerned at all about Hoglander's offense translating to the NHL.

The only question is how fast he can pick up the defensive side of the game to earn the trust of Green.
Hogs is one of those hyper compete guys, who is also super hockey smart. He’s not at Podkolzin level defensively, but he will learn quickly. I can see him on the PK too. With Hogs and Pods we have two really good sure fire NHL guys coming soon.

Reactions: HockeyWooot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad