Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Sutter and Sven come off at end of next year. Also Spooner buy out . Pearson and Edler contracts also end . Many others come off in two years. Yes it is a problem. Likely will cost team Toffoli and Tanev this year and more serviceable players next year, but it will not cost team Boeser, Hughes, Petterson, Markstrom, Miller, Horvat. Team will transition away from veteran role players and lose depth. The positive side is these players are now trending downwards, so losing them might not be so bad. Probably no cup but playoff competitive for 2 or 3 years before team can really go for it when Hughes and Petterson are 23, 24 and players like Podz, OJ, Lind, etc contributing.

Key to these newer ELCs is to not burn that early year for 5-10 games, that Benning has done for Hughes/Petterson. Now we have a better younger core, it's not necessary to burn that early year for what amounts to nothing games at the end of the year. Best to have a full season of these ELCs.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Key to these newer ELCs is to not burn that early year for 5-10 games, that Benning has done for Hughes/Petterson. Now we have a better younger core, it's not necessary to burn that early year for what amounts to nothing games at the end of the year. Best to have a full season of these ELCs.

Pretty sure Pettersson signed in the summer and we didnt burn a year with him or else his contract wouldnt be coming up same time as Hughes.

At the same time, i think burning a year could actually save money in the long term but building good will. No evidence, but i know if it were me i'd really much rather have that big payday a year faster and be willing to sacrifice, for example, 250 to 500k per year on the long term deal to get there faster.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Pretty sure Pettersson signed in the summer and we didnt burn a year with him or else his contract wouldnt be coming up same time as Hughes.

At the same time, i think burning a year could actually save money in the long term but building good will. No evidence, but i know if it were me i'd really much rather have that big payday a year faster and be willing to sacrifice, for example, 250 to 500k per year on the long term deal to get there faster.

Yeah we're getting 3 years of ELC from EP, I think he misspoke and meant Hughes/Boeser the NCAA players who were able to burn a year playing like 7-9 games during garbage time.

Reactions: Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Yeah we're getting 3 years of ELC from EP, I think he misspoke and meant Hughes/Boeser the NCAA players who were able to burn a year playing like 7-9 games during garbage time.

Yes, sorry i got confused with Petterson/Boeser. Also, they burned a year off Gaudette too. All those years we were not even close to contending or fighting for the playoffs even. But Benning burned a year off really no reason.

Most NHL teams will burn off one year if they think that player will help them in the playoffs (ex. Makar). Benning really did it for no reason at all.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yes, sorry i got confused with Petterson/Boeser. Also, they burned a year off Gaudette too. All those years we were not even close to contending or fighting for the playoffs even. But Benning burned a year off really no reason.

Most NHL teams will burn off one year if they think that player will help them in the playoffs (ex. Makar). Benning really did it for no reason at all.

Most NHL teams are not burning a year off a player's ELC so that that player will help them in the playoffs.

I think if you put the Benning hate aside you can see that it's just the cost of doing business and not without its benefits. With a player like Teves, you can get him signed and actually get a good look at him with little to no commitment. The Canucks ended up signing him for 2 years, but there's no commitment to even qualify the player afterwards.

For your bluechip prospects, you get a better look at the player to prepare your roster for next season - after seeing Hughes, Boeser, and Gaudette in action, it was easy for the Canucks to pencil in Hughes and Boeser into the lineup for next year and Gaudette to the AHL. Those players also benefit from their experience in the NHL to better prepare themselves for the NHL next season. Given Hughes and Boeser were Calder finalists, I'm not going to question the success of this plan. Burning a year off their ELC also results in Boeser and Hughes having the unique status of being a 10.2(c) RFA - meaning they are not eligible for offer sheets. Like Boeser this summer, he couldn't turn around and sign an offer sheet with another team when the Canucks reportedly pulled their long term offer and offered a shorter term one instead. While offer sheets are rare, Sebastian Aho did sign one last summer and that's not typically a deal you want your team to negotiate.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
It’s mostly NCAA prospect that get a year burned off. Rathbone got one as well.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
The thing that sets Hoglander apart from other skilled prospects such as Goldobin and Dahlen is his physical strength and his willingness to go into the rough areas. He can be dirty as well. With the kind of speed and strength he has, it is almost a given he will have some kind of role on the Canucks. Like Podkolzin, Hoglander is another guy who could come in on a elc and make just as good a contribution as a higher paid veteran.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Nobody is certain when the next NHL will actually get underway, but I wouldn't sleep on Hoglander's potential to crack the lineup next season. He's a lot more than a flashy, one way scoring machine. He's also a very good 180-foot player.

I think he could actually be eased into the lineup as a third-fourth liner and would be just fine in that role. Think Tyler Motte with a ton more offensive upside.

Assuming that his SHL contract has 'an out clause' so he can attend Canucks' training camp.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Nobody is certain when the next NHL will actually get underway, but I wouldn't sleep on Hoglander's potential to crack the lineup next season. He's a lot more than a flashy, one way scoring machine. He's also a very good 180-foot player.

I think he could actually be eased into the lineup as a third-fourth liner and would be just fine in that role. Think Tyler Motte with a ton more offensive upside.

Assuming that his SHL contract has 'an out clause' so he can attend Canucks' training camp.

He is just on loan to Rogle I believe. No contract.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

He’s a very confident guy too. He works like a demon off the ice to be in his best form on the ice.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
He is just on loan to Rogle I believe. No contract.

I think Rogle has his rights and can decide where Hogs plays this year if he doesnt make the Canucks whether thats AHL or SHL.

Its already been confirmed tho that Hogs will leave in the middle of the SHL season to join the Canucks for training camp whenever that may be

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
We have 5 really decent "prospects" right now.

Best - Podkolzin - would put him in the "can't miss" might very well be the steal of his draft class, just like Pettersson and Hughes.
DiPietro Högländer and Rathbone could all also be "steals" for their draft positions. Not sure you can count bringing back Tryamkin as a "prospect, I think adding those 5 into the mix could give us a very good team. If we can afford them.

And I think Hoglander might be the best of the bunch for what we get compared to draft position.

Reactions: VancouverJagger

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
The thing that sets Hoglander apart from other skilled prospects such as Goldobin and Dahlen is his physical strength and his willingness to go into the rough areas. He can be dirty as well. With the kind of speed and strength he has, it is almost a given he will have some kind of role on the Canucks. Like Podkolzin, Hoglander is another guy who could come in on a elc and make just as good a contribution as a higher paid veteran.

definitely has bite in his game. I remember when he threw the People's Elbow on a defender and got suspended.

Also got suspended in the WJC. This guy definitely has some sandpaper. Wont take crap from anybody. sounds like a Brad Marchand type.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I have no idea what the successful rate of transition is for players that lead the WJC in scoring...but I imagine it must be very high. For perspective, Bure, Mogilny, Lindros, Naslund and Forsberg all won the WJC scoring championship.

It's entirely possible that if Hoglander hadn't been suspended for the last two games he might have been at the top of the points parade last season. So you'd have to assume that at some juncture in his career, the points will come in the NHL eventually.

Still hard to comprehend that 40 other prospects were picked ahead of him in the draft last season.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Hoglander imo should be getting as much hype as Podz. We may have ourselves our own Brad Marchand. Hogs likes to play around the crease and in front of the net too on the PP despite his size. Hands and skating are excellent.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I think Rogle has his rights and can decide where Hogs plays this year if he doesnt make the Canucks whether thats AHL or SHL.

Its already been confirmed tho that Hogs will leave in the middle of the SHL season to join the Canucks for training camp whenever that may be
He signed a contract with the Canucks. Not 100% sure, but I believe Vancouver is in full control over where he plays.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
He signed a contract with the Canucks. Not 100% sure, but I believe Vancouver is in full control over where he plays.

Contract has a European-out-clause

April 2020 – Höglander has put pen to paper and signed his three-year entry-level contract with the Canucks. From all reports, he’ll need his Swedish club team, Rögle to allow him to stay in North America to play in the AHL if he doesn’t make the Canucks. With this in mind, it seems very likely that another season in the SHL is on the horizon for the creative and aggressive winger.

-Dobber Hockey

Reactions: logan5
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->