Prospect Info: 2019 40th overall: Vancouver selects Nils Höglander (LW, Rögle BK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Actually Arvidsson was in his 20/21 yr old season when he broke out. Hoglander is 18 turning 19, but will only be entering his 19/20 yr old season next year. He would be almost 2 years (1yr, 8 months) behind when Arvidsson broke out.

Another way to look at it is if Arvidsson was drafted the 1st year he was eligible, Arvidsson wouldn't break out until his D+3 year. Hoglander is only in his D+1 year right now. Hoglander is old for his draft year, born in late 2000 vs 2001 like most of his draft class.

Ohhh.. thanks for diving into that. In short, that's even better news as I'm still using Arvidsson as his measuring stick. In my (limited) views of Hoglander, he reminds me of him, while also being the same size and in the SHL.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
you are correct. I was mistaken.

arvidsson is my comparison for Hoglander though

If Hogs can turn out anything like Arvidsson, that would be absolutely fantastic.

I think a production of 0.5 ppg would be progress for Hogs this year, anything more and its gravy

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
They dont really play the same type of game. Hoglander is a waterbug player that is shifty with great stickhandling, while Arvidsson is much faster with a better shot. Both goes to the hard areas to score though. Then again Dahlen was never scared of going to the net to score in Sweden either, but looked soft in Utica.

Hoglander has looked great when I have watched him, but he could use some upgrades to his quickness to be an impact player in the NHL. If he does that he could be better than Podzolkin

I agree he's not as quick, but Arvidsson's stick handling in the SHL was a strength. I think Hoglander just tries a bit more.. maybe i'm just remembering Arvidsson differently but he came to mind.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
If Hogs can turn out anything like Arvidsson, that would be absolutely fantastic.

I think a production of 0.5 ppg would be progress for Hogs this year, anything more and its gravy

Agreed. I had him ranked 7 spots better than where we took him but anytime a 2nd rd pick turns into any NHLer it's a win. I think with Hoglander's size and skill it's top 6 or bust though.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Hoglander (40th overall 2019)
(D -1) SuperElit 1.00 points per game (ppg)/ Allsvenskan 0.21 ppg
(Draft) SHL 0.28ppg
(D +1) SHL 0.36ppg (so far)

We should be looking for a ppg average somewhere in the ballpark of 0.35-0.55 for Hoglander this year, as NHL players below that bar are rare.

Last edited:

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
I agree he's not as quick, but Arvidsson's stick handling in the SHL was a strength. I think Hoglander just tries a bit more.. maybe i'm just remembering Arvidsson differently but he came to mind.
I think Arvidsson had fine stickhandling but Höglanders is elite. Arvidsson is extremly fast, Höglander needs to work on that . To me Höglander plays more like Patric Kane ,not as good just stylewise.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
I think Arvidsson had fine stickhandling but Höglanders is elite. Arvidsson is extremly fast, Höglander needs to work on that . To me Höglander plays more like Patric Kane ,not as good just stylewise.

Stick handling skills are pretty useless if you don't have other NHL qualities to your game (not saying that Hoglander necessarily doesn't).

Does anyone recall Rob Schremp? His pucks skills put Hoglander's to shame, and he absolutely lit up the OHL too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Stick handling skills are pretty useless if you don't have other NHL qualities to your game (not saying that Hoglander necessarily doesn't).

Does anyone recall Rob Schremp? His pucks skills put Hoglander's to shame, and he absolutely lit up the OHL too.
Yep I remember Rob Schremp....still playing in Switzerland at 33. Firstly, he was a center not a winger, and 'no', his puck skills would never have put Hoglander's to shame, based on what I've seen of his work at Prospects Development Camp and so far in the SHL.

Schremp reminds me more of Josh Ho-Sang. Stickhandling wizards who play in traffic like skittish cat confronting a barking dog. So no, there's absolutely 'zero comparisons' in the way Schremp and Hoglander play the game.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
Yep I remember Rob Schremp....still playing in Switzerland at 33. Firstly, he was a center not a winger, and 'no', his puck skills would never have put Hoglander's to shame, based on what I've seen of his work at Prospects Development Camp and so far in the SHL.

Schremp reminds me more of Josh Ho-Sang. Stickhandling wizards who play in traffic like skittish cat confronting a barking dog. So no, there's absolutely 'zero comparisons' in the way Schremp and Hoglander play the game.

I never compared the two players. The point is that elite puck skills are useless if you don't have other NHL qualities. Are you taking issue with this point? Or are you just sad that I am pointing out that Hoglander's puck skills do not mean he is a sure fire NHL player?

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Well Shremp couldn't skate and was soft, he was also allergic to playing defense. And no Shremp isn't a much better stickhandler than Hoglander. Also I dont get your point, really all skills in a vacuum are pretty useless, if you only can skate really fast and not turn that's also a problem.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
It wasn’t a great attempt to score, the puck slide quietly wide

could have maybe tried to get it to his line mates for a one timer but decided to try to make the play that makes people go “ooooo”. I bet his teammates were less than impressed by his decision. The behind the net one was fine. That one was unnecessary.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Well Shremp couldn't skate and was soft, he was also allergic to playing defense. And no Shremp isn't a much better stickhandler than Hoglander. Also I dont get your point, really all skills in a vacuum are pretty useless, if you only can skate really fast and not turn that's also a problem.
I think Schremp was like a Kyle Wellwood with a much better shot but far less intensity (as compared to Wellwood). Both weren't that big; didn't skate particularly well but had more than solid puck handling skills & "hockey IQ". Obviously Schremp had the more lethal shot but Kyle actually tried to improve his game without the puck. No, he wasn't going to win any Selke's but you saw at least the effort (remember AV laughing at the suggestion that Wellwood was like a man possessed lol!).

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
could have maybe tried to get it to his line mates for a one timer but decided to try to make the play that makes people go “ooooo”. I bet his teammates were less than impressed by his decision. The behind the net one was fine. That one was unnecessary.

I think it was Gretzky who said "You miss 100% of the 360 Spinorama lacrosse shots you don't take".

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Schremp was like a Kyle Wellwood with a much better shot but far less intensity (as compared to Wellwood). Both weren't that big; didn't skate particularly well but had more than solid puck handling skills & "hockey IQ". Obviously Schremp had the more lethal shot but Kyle actually tried to improve his game without the puck. No, he wasn't going to win any Selke's but you saw at least the effort (remember AV laughing at the suggestion that Wellwood was like a man possessed lol!).

Schremp was nothing like Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood didn't go around thinking he was better than everyone else. He just didn't work hard enough off the ice to be in good shape and seemingly shied away from physical contact in the earlier parts of his career. But he turned his career around and Wellwood became a very solid 3rd line C in his last season here and for a couple of years after that. Besides being one of the best at faceoffs he was great at transitioning the puck up ice.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
was that maybe a between the legs pass with a fake lacrosse shot follow through to distract the goalie?

kid has attitude to spare. needs to actually score more.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Schremp was nothing like Kyle Wellwood. Wellwood didn't go around thinking he was better than everyone else. He just didn't work hard enough off the ice to be in good shape and seemingly shied away from physical contact in the earlier parts of his career. But he turned his career around and Wellwood became a very solid 3rd line C in his last season here and for a couple of years after that. Besides being one of the best at faceoffs he was great at transitioning the puck up ice.

Wellwood was a highly skilled, high IQ player who managed to round out his game to become effective at both ends of the ice. I think Schremp had insane puck skill, but lacked either the intelligence or the desire to become a complete player.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Honestly don't know a ton about him but would really liked to have seen more than donut in the 13 games he played for Sweden at the U17 and U18 tournaments.

I think that there were better options available at 40 last year but time will tell.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The kid's got some jam, I'll say that about him. A 360 degree spin-o-rama, lacrosse-style goal would be ridiculous. If he pulls that off, it's the goal of the year.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
was that maybe a between the legs pass with a fake lacrosse shot follow through to distract the goalie?

kid has attitude to spare. needs to actually score more.
No, of course it wasn't. Jesus, talk about rose tinted glasses.

It was flashy move that failed when he could have just dished to a wide open one timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad