40% Rollback (5 yrs analyze)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Hey check this out guys , I made some math and just realized that some players with 5 yrs remainings to their contract will not loose 24% but, in facts , they will loose up to 40%! ( some players like Belfour or Joseph wont even play 5 more years )

Player salary ( 5M / 5yrs ) with no lockout and the 24% rollback :
Rollback salary = 3.8 X 5yrs = 19M ( 76% of the original contract , so a 24% rollback )

Player Salary ( 5M / 5yrs ) with 1 yr lost to the lock out
Rollback salary = 3.8 X 4yrs = 15.2M ( 60% of the original contract, so a 40% rollback )

I cant beleive players still trust Bob Goodenow, His stupidy and "determination" agaisnt Gary Bettman will cost alot of money to all the players .. he they still trust him .. go figure.

rwilson99

Zaitsev said:
Hey check this out guys , I made some math and just realized that some players with 5 yrs remainings to their contract will not loose 24% but, in facts , they will loose up to 40%! ( some players like Belfour or Joseph wont even play 5 more years )

Player salary ( 5M / 5yrs ) with no lockout and the 24% rollback :
Rollback salary = 3.8 X 5yrs = 19M ( 76% of the original contract , so a 24% rollback )

Player Salary ( 5M / 5yrs ) with 1 yr lost to the lock out
Rollback salary = 3.8 X 4yrs = 15.2M ( 60% of the original contract, so a 40% rollback )

I cant beleive players still trust Bob Goodenow, His stupidy and "determination" agaisnt Gary Bettman will cost alot of money to all the players .. he they still trust him .. go figure.

How many players have 5 year contracts?

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Not alot I agree , But the rollback % just go higher for 3 yrs contracts.. thats important for players near the retirement , like Belfour or Joseph.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Zaitsev said:
Not alot I agree , But the rollback % just go higher for 3 yrs contracts.. thats important for players near the retirement , like Belfour or Joseph.

No it isn't important to Joseph and Belfour. Joseph and Belfour do not have 3 years contracts.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
Zaitsev said:

to be fair, the reason those players signed such ridiculous deals in the first place was because they trusted goodenow in '94 and he got them a very advantageous agreement.

the players look foolish for not taking an earlier offer, but the plain fact is: goodenow was the one who made every 3rd line forward and backup goalies millionares in the first place. while that doesn't atone for the way he conducted this labor dispute, it deserves pointed out.

GSC2k2*

sirkraut_82 said:
the players look foolish for not taking an earlier offer, but the plain fact is: goodenow was the one who made every 3rd line forward and backup goalies millionares in the first place. while that doesn't atone for the way he conducted this labor dispute, it deserves pointed out.
It seserves being rebutted as well. Goodenow did not get those guys their millions. The agents did.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
gscarpenter2002 said:
It seserves being rebutted as well. Goodenow did not get those guys their millions. The agents did.

certainly. but the agents had the ability to exploit teams do to the terms goodenow lobbied for in the previous CBA. like the arbitration system (rumored to change), the seven figure rookie bonuses (rumored to be capped off) and of course, not having any upper limit financial constraints in the previous CBA. give the agents credit for actually squeezing every penny out of the teams, but it was goodenow who gave them the environment to do it.

Sens4Cup

Mar 25, 2005
Well you could take a guy like Leclair, who lost a year he was to be paid 9 million, or 6.84 million post-rollback.

Now he has 2 years left on his contract at which he'll be bought out since the deal won't be grandfathered in.

So he'll get 2/3 of the remaining 13.68 million, which amounts to 9.06 million plus whatever salary he's able to get in the new NHL.

So to summarize he was to get 27 million dollars over three years. Instead he'll likely get a buyout of 9.06 million and maybe 1.5-2million a year to play the next few years.

So he's actually lost out on 2/3 of his salary. I'm sure he'll have harsh words for Goodenow.

Zaitsev

Nov 25, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Sens4Cup said:
Well you could take a guy like Leclair, who lost a year he was to be paid 9 million, or 6.84 million post-rollback.

Now he has 2 years left on his contract at which he'll be bought out since the deal won't be grandfathered in.

So he'll get 2/3 of the remaining 13.68 million, which amounts to 9.06 million plus whatever salary he's able to get in the new NHL.

So to summarize he was to get 27 million dollars over three years. Instead he'll likely get a buyout of 9.06 million and maybe 1.5-2million a year to play the next few years.

So he's actually lost out on 2/3 of his salary. I'm sure he'll have harsh words for Goodenow.

Good point, And im surprised that players like him ( hes not the only one in this situation ) dont speak against Goodenow in the medias .. I cant beleive A guy like him accepts the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad