40% of the season in - Which teams do you consider to be Top Stanley Cup Contenders?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
When Tampa got bounced in 4, did they change the core or pieces around it?

This is Keefe's first season. If you aren't aware of his coaching resume, do yourself a favor and look it up. They also added Malhotra and Maclean. Defense features 3 new bodies. Forwards include Thornton, Simmonds etc. Sure, sure...exact same team.
Lol again, stop flattering yourself as a Leafs fan. The Bolts had made the ECF and the Cup final with that core, get Tampa's name out of your mouth because the Leafs wish they had a tenth of their success with this core.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Now that the Caps have had a chance to settle in with the new coach and are leading their division, they are solid on the short list

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lol again, stop flattering yourself as a Leafs fan. The Bolts had made the ECF and the Cup final with that core, get Tampa's name out of your mouth because the Leafs wish they had a tenth of their success with this core.
Anyone ever tell you to pound sand? I'll talk about whatever I like. You aren't an internet cop. I notice you conveniently failed to address basically anything, which says a lot about the strength of your argument.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island
The Islanders are in 1st place in the toughest division and took Tampa to 6 games in the ECF last year. tThey're 3-0 against Boston this year who seems to be the consensus to come out of the east

Reactions: bigtim1988

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I mean basically no one is saying the team that's currently tied for first in its division, made the final four last season, and gave the champion Lightning the toughest series they played in the playoffs.

But yeah, total pretenders here lol
Actually I thought the Jackets played us hardest.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Islanders swept the Penguins in 2019
Islanders beat the Panthers in 2020
Islanders beat the Capitals in 2020
Islanders beat the Flyers in 2020
Islanders are 3-0 against the Bruins this season

Just some reminders for everyone

None of this matters. Todays standings dont matter. Theyre the Islanders silly!

Every team on that list is a "contender" as per this thread.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I mean basically no one is saying the team that's currently tied for first in its division, made the final four last season, and gave the champion Lightning the toughest series they played in the playoffs.

But yeah, total pretenders here lol

Columbus was harder than NY, the only 2 games the Islanders won were the 2 Point sat out. The Islanders will give teams a hard time, I don't know if they can win with that kind of offense but they are kind of slept on in this thread though.

Last edited:

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
The Blues are hanging in there despite having an entire potential first line injured in Schwartz/Thomas/Tarasenko along with their top D-man Parayko. Also missing key depth players in Bozak/Barbashev.

Should look much better if they can get even half those guys back.

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
Now that the Caps have had a chance to settle in with the new coach and are leading their division, they are solid on the short list

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Please don't drag the Caps into this.
No one...will convince anyone...of anything...in this ridiculous circle jerk of a thread.
Besides, with their two "playoff virgin" goaltenders in net they'll be lucky to get out of the first round without an epic collapse anyway.
Just let the fans of all these crazy fast, youthful organizations argue amongst themselves and ignore the old guys at the top of the East standings...they know the Caps are bound to need a nap, or run out of Centrum silver vitamins, eventually.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Please don't drag the Caps into this.
No one...will convince anyone...of anything...in this ridiculous circle jerk of a thread.
Besides, with their two "playoff virgin" goaltenders in net they'll be lucky to get out of the first round without an epic collapse anyway.
Just let the fans of all these crazy fast, youthful organizations argue amongst themselves and ignore the old guys at the top of the East standings...they know the Caps are bound to need a nap, or run out of Centrum silver vitamins, eventually.

Well they've only been knocked out in the first round in back to back years since winning....

Reactions: AllAlphas

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
There are so many good teams. Tampa is a clear favourite at the moment with Carolina and Vegas right behind them. That third tier is filled with solid teams too like the Caps, Panthers, Avs, Blues, Leafs, Boston, Isles, and Flyers. Way too early right now but I bet teams with a lot of injuries like the blues and avs start to separate themselves in the second half while teams like Toronto and the Islanders drop off a bit.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Columbus was harder than NY, the only 2 games the Islanders won were the 2 Point sat out. The Islanders will give teams a hard time, I don't know if they can win with that kind of offense but they are kind of slept on in this thread though.
Isles have a much improved 3rd line and PP this year.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Anyone ever tell you to pound sand? I'll talk about whatever I like. You aren't an internet cop. I notice you conveniently failed to address basically anything, which says a lot about the strength of your argument.
I absolutely addressed your garbage comparison and called it what it was, garbage. You can keep talking but you're wrong.

Reactions: Garthinater

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
I’m just happy with the progress and work ethic of the young Hawks that are in a playoff position, just played two fantastic games against Tampa and all without our top 2 centres.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Islanders swept the Penguins in 2019
Islanders beat the Panthers in 2020
Islanders beat the Capitals in 2020
Islanders beat the Flyers in 2020
Islanders are 3-0 against the Bruins this season

Just some reminders for everyone

I’m fine with everyone sleeping on us (and used to it, too).

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
A lot of piteous complaints from NYI fans waving their hands in the air that they are *finally* in 1st place. Too bad that they are tied for 3rd in P%, which is all that matters. Do you really think that the NHL is going to decide playoff positions based on anything else, should the full schedule not be played?

Vegas is a Cup contender. CO is too, though I think they need to make a trade for a strong middle sixer or defender. They have the brilliance, but not the grit needed as is.

Tor is a cup contender. They should have an easy run getting out of their division, if there is such a thing as an easy run in the playoffs. I think they will match up better against CO than Vegas. I think WPG is flawed, especially on the back end. I thought MTL would be a really good team, but they are not, even with Petry playing out of his mind

Bruins, always, though I don't know how they are any better than last year.

CAR sure as hell better be a Contender, or they will have questions to answer.

WAS, PIT, NYI all have to beat each other up in their division, making it tough to get out. WAS and PIT are aged. some great players, but they don't have enough to win three series, IMO. I would probably pick NYI to survive there, but wouldn't bet big on it.

I have no idea about STL. They have so many pieces missing it's hard to tell, and I don't know what to make of Binnington. They will probably have to beat CO and Vegas just to get out of their division- not easy. I don't think they are fast enough.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
May be the best team in the last 25 years

This is where I EXPECT Leafs fans to police your own. Fans like this is why you get what you get. Police your own.
If he is referring only to the Leafs, he may be right. Remember that in the last 25 years they have won two rounds twice, and one round three other times. They are in a good position to match that, just getting out of the North.

If he had said 15 years, no problem, as they haven't won a round in that time.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
If he is referring only to the Leafs, he may be right. Remember that in the last 25 years they have won two rounds twice, and one round three other times. They are in a good position to match that, just getting out of the North.

If he had said 15 years, no problem, as they haven't won a round in that time.
May want to keep your eyes closed from here on out. Pain is coming

Reactions: SheldonJPlankton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad