Boston Bruins 40 down - 42 to go - Bruins are in good shape

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Fair to say that none of us predicted that at the halfway point the Bruins have a stranglehold on a playoff spot simply because nobody thought the teams below them in the Atlantc would be so far behind.

Bruins fans the past 3 seasons have cursed the loser point but right now the Bruins are being helped by it.

The second half of the season is more compressed but in theory that should help a younger team like the Bruins. Obviously there will be injuries but looking at the schedule I can't foresee a long regulation losing streak. Montreal's only hope is to get 6-7 points against the Bruins and I can not see that happening.

The Bruins will play many games against desperate teams looking for points - we saw that last night in Pittsburgh. In March we have a back to back with Chicago that right now looks like they will not qualify.

The annual Disney Death March in February is easier than past years and right now there is no reason this team couldn't hit 110 points for the season. Even the dreaded President's Trophy is possible ( B's still have 3 with Tampa )

A lot of hockey left and we have no idea what Sweeney will do before February 26th. I also think it is imperative that the Bruins beat Toronto once this season and hopefully twice to plant a seed of doubt in the Leafs.

Enjoy your vacation guys and get ready for Poutineville on Saturday night. That is a game that Julien and the Habs HAVE to win and in regulation. There will be no media pressure on the Bruins as the focus during the 3 Montreal games will be on the Foxbrough 11. By comparison the pressure on Montreal by their media will be enormous.

Right now to quote Jack Edwards 'Who has more fun than us?

upload_2018-1-8_12-34-47.png

upload_2018-1-8_12-36-30.png

upload_2018-1-8_12-17-52.png

upload_2018-1-8_12-20-9.png

Last edited:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
March 11th on is BRUTAL. Could see them dropping to 3rd, but certainly not to 4th unless injuries happen.

edit: 15 games in 27 days with 11 of those games on the road.

Thats a lot of play, travel, play, travel, play, travel, play over and over again

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
I'll say this, there's no really obvious way to improve the team to me. Chemistry isn't worth disrupting, cap flex is so-so. People are going to haaaaate this, but Sweeney might very well be best off doing very little at the deadline.

In terms of all those prospects we may or may not be able to fit into the roster next year, I like rolling them up into a higher draft pick. If you've got too many prospects, trade up on draft day...

Reactions: HOLDEN44FAN and DKH

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
Fair to say that none of us predicted that at the halfway point the Bruins have a stranglehold on a playoff spot simply because nobody thought the teams below them in the Atlantc would be so far behind.

Bruins fans the past 3 seasons have cursed the loser point but right now the Bruins are being helped by it.

The second half of the season is more compressed but in theory that should help a younger team like the Bruins. Obviously there will be injuries but looking at the schedule I can't foresee a long regulation losing streak. Montreal's only hope is to get 6-7 points against the Bruins and I can not see that happening.

The Bruins will play many games against desperate teams looking for points - we saw that last night in Pittsburgh. In March we have a back to back with Chicago that right now looks like they will not qualify.

The annual Disney Death March in February is easier than past years and right now there is no reason this team could hit 110 points for the season. Even the dreaded President's Trophy is possible ( B's still have 3 with Tampa )

A lot of hockey left and we have no idea what Sweeney will do before February 26th. I also think it is imperative that the Bruins beat Toronto once this season and hopefully twice to plant a seed of doubt in the Leafs.

Enjoy your vacation guys and get ready for Poutineville on Saturday night. That is a game that Julien and the Habs HAVE to win and in regulation. There will be no media pressure on the Bruins as the focus during the 3 Montreal games will be on the Foxbrough 11. By comparison the pressure on Montreal by their media will be enormous.

Right now to quote Jack Edwards 'Who has more fun than us?

View attachment 91891
View attachment 91893

View attachment 91887

View attachment 91889
Great post.

Nice to see the games against the Habs NOT the second of back to backs. A few years ago all the games against them were the back half of back to backs.

Any reason they have the week off, is this a league thing? every team gets 5 days off between games?

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
March 11th on is BRUTAL. Could see them dropping to 3rd, but certainly not to 4th unless injuries happen.

edit: 15 games in 27 days with 11 of those games on the road.

Thats a lot of play, travel, play, travel, play, travel, play over and over again

Brutal road stretch to end the season will be happy if they can maintain about .500 record in the last 15 games. Hopefully they will still have a big lead over the 4th place team in the division.

Not only is there a lot of road games but many of them are against tough competition.

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
I feel like the B's are improving and will be an even better team as they get closer to playoffs

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
My father still says they suck but he is an old Bruins fan and remembers all the old teams. I am excited about the present and future of this team. I think they can make it to the second round of the playoffs.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Great post.

Nice to see the games against the Habs NOT the second of back to backs. A few years ago all the games against them were the back half of back to backs.

Any reason they have the week off, is this a league thing? every team gets 5 days off between games?
Yes, over a 14-day period, every team will get a 5-day break.

Tuukka is practicing for the Disney death march over vacation.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
After an impressive first half, Bruins get a well-deserved break - The Boston Globe

“We’ve been very good,” Marchand said of the 23-10-7 run through 40 games. “We really came together the last month and a half and showed the type of team we can be.

“We had a lot of growing pains early on with some injuries. I think we kind of expected that to be the case — not so much the injury bug, but a lot of young guys and new guys on the team.

“You need time to come together. We’ve really done that now. We showed we can compete every night and we can be a good team. We’re consistent. We need to continue to do it after the break.”

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins overcome injuries, inexperience to soar into break

"Guys seem pretty dedicated to really just taking it day by day and not looking too far ahead," said forward Brad Marchand, the Bruins' leading scorer, with 40 points (17 goals, 23 assists). "Obviously it's not going to go as well as it is right now all year, but we know that. We want to make sure that each and every game we give ourselves an opportunity to win and that seems to be what we're doing right now."

"Right now it looks good, we're winning games. And I don't think we're winning by accident, that's the good news," Cassidy said. "It's not like we're relying our goaltenders standing on their head or one line is scoring all the goals. It's balanced scoring, it's good team defense, we're getting key saves when we need it. So as a coach you like that because it's not one way to win every night."

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
One thing that was encouraging early on in the season when the Bs were not winning as much as now is that they were not getting blown out much at all. Most of their losses were close. The increased skill on the roster with guys getting healthy combined with better chemistry has done wonders. It's too early to start calling the team a serious Cup contender since so many things can happen before the playoffs start, but as of now things are looking really good.

Reactions: Chief Nine

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
One thing that was encouraging early on in the season when the Bs were not winning as much as now is that they were not getting blown out much at all. Most of their losses were close. The increased skill on the roster with guys getting healthy combined with better chemistry has done wonders. It's too early to start calling the team a serious Cup contender since so many things can happen before the playoffs start, but as of now things are looking really good.
Well said and true

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Grrrrr, next Monday's game is midday when I have to work.

Wonder when they'll announce the Florida makeup game.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

good post, what I see with this club is even when behind, they don`t stop playing and just coast to the final whistle. Lot`s to like with the club, still one who, IMO, is growing and learning with so much youth. First time in a few years where I`ve actually been entertained by a Bruins team.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
We are in great shape.
Ideal spot for me is 2nd place. Right where we are.
Hopefully the wildcard team takes out Tampa ( possibly Pittsburgh)
I admit, I wouldnt want the Leafs in round 1 though, so Im hoping for Florida to make their way up to #3 and bounce out the Leafs.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
What a year (so far) for our beloved Bruins! So much doom and gloom on these boards earlier this year. So many quick to rip on the GM or President or Coach... Nitpicking every draft selection, every signing (or lack thereof) and every roster move. What a spoiled group we are. We've had a 10 year stretch that most fan bases would kill for and our future still appears as promising as any team in the leaque! As a diehard, long suffering Bruins fan, I can only watch this group of young men and smile! What a great time to be a Bruins fan!

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It's a great example of people shouldn't panic. Many people were ready to jump off the cliff at the beginning instead of waiting till things settled down. there were injuries and rookies trying to get up to speed. Glad it's going good. I guess Sweeney can recover after getting roasted.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I still am holding back until this bulk of games vs Montreal.

They scoop 6 points from us and it's the shot in the arm they need.

Yes I know it's a bad view of it.

The flip side is we have 3 vs Tampa and if we got those 6 who knows where we end up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->