GDT: #40 Blue Jackets @ Carolina | 1-4-18 *crap... scribble scribble* 19

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
When are the CBJ going to admit that they erred with Riley Nash? He adds nothing to the team. Zip. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

If Letestu is sub current Nash, then why did they sign him?

to make matters worse, we’re stuck with Ri. Nash for another two years after this year. smh.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Nash: another classic Jarmo signing. We now have over $7 million tied up in 2 centers who have combined for 2 goals total in half a season. Great work Jarmo !!!! While people dump on Torts quite a bit no one seems to focus on the fact that it is Jarmo who put together this monstrosity of a lineup with wasted money everywhere.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I feel like I've heard this before.

What about tomorrow's game? Still sticking with that "prediction"?

Yes

What?

Its almost as if some of you go completely out of your way to look to complain about or blame somebody/the coaches for something that doesnt make any sense.

This isnt EA Sports where Torts can press the 'line change' button or Disney's Mighty Ducks, where he can yell, "change it up", and they all come to the bench. And no, they dont even bang the bench door handle up and down to let the guy know their minute is up like i'm sure some of you need in your 'E league' games.
Yes

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Nash: another classic Jarmo signing. We now have over $7 million tied up in 2 centers who have combined for 2 goals total in half a season. Great work Jarmo !!!! While people dump on Torts quite a bit no one seems to focus on the fact that it is Jarmo who put together this monstrosity of a lineup with wasted money everywhere.
Just wait till the cam deal kicks in. Years 4+ gonna be bad

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don’t agree with that. Cam has continued to improve and is committed to a sound conditioning program. He may slow
Ow down to 20 goals later in his career. But will hardly b in Pooh territory where we r paying $2 million per goal.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I don’t agree with that. Cam has continued to improve and is committed to a sound conditioning program. He may slow
Ow down to 20 goals later in his career. But will hardly b in Pooh territory where we r paying $2 million per goal.
You don’t know that. AnD how much of his success is because of Panarin? He could he hurt and never be the same player. Too much risk, I don’t get why CBJ continues to give large contracts into player’s late 30’s.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Just wait till the cam deal kicks in. Years 4+ gonna be bad

Cam should have had his 6 or 7 year deal when he signed his last 3 year deal. Jarmo-just like he did with Bob, Johansen, and Anderson-doesn't (or didn't hopefully) grasp the concept of signing quality players to long deals during their primes and not putting the screws to them because they were RFAs. He was very fortunate that Jones and his agent were softened up by his Nashville experience and Poile's masterful cap management/contract philosophy. Side note on this: The Jones deal puts a solid cap on Murray's next deal. No way is Jarmo going to pay him more than $4.5m per year. Zerenski's payday won't be altered by the Jones fleecing.

That said, Cam will be 35 in the last year of his deal. He's a small guy who isn't a grinder, so he could very well be effective during the last few years of his deal. He's peaking now and playing with Panarin certainly doesn't hurt his numbers.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When are the CBJ going to admit that they erred with Riley Nash? He adds nothing to the team. Zip. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

How is this supposed to work? A press conference? What do we get out of it?

If Letestu is sub current Nash, then why did they sign him?

He's AHL depth on a two-way deal, not making NHL money. They signed him to be a leader in the org.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How is this supposed to work? A press conference? What do we get out of it?

He's AHL depth on a two-way deal, not making NHL money. They signed him to be a leader in the org.

Neat. You're not even very good at sarcasm:laugh:

Then who are the organizational (NHL) depth players in Cleveland? Letestu is the most experienced NHLer and he fills that role. And why in the world sign him to a 2 way deal if he's just an AHLer? You make no sense.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Crazy that they're 3rd or 4th in the league in wins in the last three years. They'd be first surely if it were not for that moron of a GM! :sarcasm:

I'd love to see some perspective around here. Even the best GMs will have their overpaid guys. Steve Yzerman was godlike for Tampa, and they're still paying for the Matt Carle buyout, not to mention their own Dubinsky contract (Callahan). "monstrosity of a lineup".

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Crazy that they're 3rd or 4th in the league in wins in the last three years. They'd be first surely if it were not for that moron of a GM! :sarcasm:

I'd love to see some perspective around here. Even the best GMs will have their overpaid guys. Steve Yzerman was godlike for Tampa, and they're still paying for the Matt Carle buyout, not to mention their own Dubinsky contract (Callahan). "monstrosity of a lineup".

Top 10 scorers of CBJ and GM under whom acquired.

1) Panarin-a gift from Bowman. Any GM in the league would have done that swap. Jarmo a huge beneficiary of the"getting the band back together" foolishness of Hawks.

2) Atkinson (Howson)

3) PLD-Jarmo

4) Jones-acquired with Howson pick Johansen. Without Johansen there is no Jones.

5) Werenski-Jarmo

6) Folgino-Howson

7) Murray-Howson

8) Anderson-Howson

9) Wennberg-Jarmo

10) Jenner-Howson.

No, I am not a Howson fan. He deserved to be shown the gate. But look at the team that "Jarmo built". Panarin was raw luck. Jones was swapped for Howson's second best asset. Wennberg blows.

Only PLD and Werenski are of Jarmo's contributions. And he's misfired on a whole bunch on lower first rounders.

Oh, and if weren't for Bob (Howson) who you always cite stats about his value, this team is nowhere near 3rd or 4th in wins. And no playoff berth last year.

Helluva team that "Jarmo built":laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Cowumbus

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you're going to be fair, you can't say "gift from Bowman" in regards to Panarin. You used the Jones rational as trading a Howson asset to get him, well Jarmo used a Jarmo asset (Dano) to get Saad, in which he used to get Panarin. Jarmo deserves marks, although I do agree with your overall point.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

1) Panarin-a gift from Bowman. Any GM in the league would have done that swap. Jarmo a huge beneficiary of the"getting the band back together" foolishness of Hawks.

2) Atkinson (Howson)

3) PLD-Jarmo

4) Jones-acquired with Howson pick Johansen. Without Johansen there is no Jones.

5) Werenski-Jarmo

6) Folgino-Howson

7) Murray-Howson

8) Anderson-Howson

9) Wennberg-Jarmo

10) Jenner-Howson.

No, I am not a Howson fan. He deserved to be shown the gate. But look at the team that "Jarmo built". Panarin was raw luck. Jones was swapped for Howson's second best asset. Wennberg blows.

Only PLD and Werenski are of Jarmo's contributions. And he's misfired on a whole bunch on lower first rounders.

Oh, and if weren't for Bob (Howson) who you always cite stats about his value, this team is nowhere near 3rd or 4th in wins. And no playoff berth last year.

I think Howson is very underrated here, I've made that point for like 6 years straight now. Do you think you're surprising me by listing the players Howson acquired?

Is Jarmo supposed to build a team without using any assets at all that he inherits? It seems like you're constructing a game that no GM can win.

Let me get this straight, you think Howson and Jarmo are incompetent fools, so the team being 3rd or 4th in wins over the last 3 years is just dumb luck? I don't think that's the theory, I think you just stack the deck against whoever you are whining about, only mentioning anyone's successes if it helps the case against someone else. I'd like to see you explain how the heck the Jackets have ended up with so many wins in recent years. Something must have gone right somewhere.

And for the record, no not every GM would have traded Saad for Panarin in 2017. Go back and look at what hockey people said at the time. Jarmo pulled off a straight up fleece job, clear as can be, and you can't admit it.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

1) Panarin-a gift from Bowman.

2) Atkinson (Howson)

3) PLD-Jarmo

5) Werenski-Jarmo

SOOOOO.....4 outta 5??

How do you NOT give him credit for those trades and ALSO downplay the drafting of Dubois??

Why didn't Jarmo give up ANYTHING ELSE of real value in the Saad/Panarin trade? "A gift", as the explanation or excuse is pretty laughable.

NOT TO MENTION THE JONES/BABY JOJO TRADE. I still find it interesting that the trade gets downplayed quite a bit by a lot of people.

CLEAR WIN CBJ.... Jones > Johansen. Dude's literally 1 of the best defenseman in the league. Johansen is NOT 1 of the best centers in the league. f*** the "win-win" BS, f*** Jojo, his basketball court and his "heart", and f*** Poille.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
SOOOOO.....4 outta 5??

How do you NOT give him credit for those trades and ALSO downplay the drafting of Dubois??

Why didn't Jarmo give up ANYTHING ELSE of real value in the Saad/Panarin trade? "A gift", as the explanation or excuse is pretty laughable.

NOT TO MENTION THE JONES/BABY JOJO TRADE. I still find it interesting that the trade gets downplayed quite a bit by a lot of people.

CLEAR WIN CBJ.... Jones > Johansen. Dude's literally 1 of the best defenseman in the league. Johansen is NOT 1 of the best centers in the league. **** the "win-win" BS, **** Jojo, his basketball court and his "heart", and **** Poille.

I'm not even going to touch your irrational Johansen nonsense. He's averaged a PPG in the playoffs and Nashville would probably have won it all if he hadn't been injured late in the semis vs. Anaheim. Yeah, Jones is good. But the CBJ center corps is a joke PLD excepted. When the CBJ get bounced again in round 1, will the trade still be "worth it"???

Why anyone can't just admit that Bowman: a) initiated the Panarin deal and b) was foolishly getting the band back together is beyond me. Jarmo was the beneficiary. Bowman fleeced himself.

In the absence of Bobrovski, Jarmo would be barely hanging on to his job or would have already been sent walking.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why anyone can't just admit that Bowman: a) initiated the Panarin deal and b) was foolishly getting the band back together is beyond me.
Two reasons:

1) This argument presumes a whole hell of a lot based on very little. For example, (b) is the established reason given for Bowman making the deal, but (a) does not follow from same and there's no indications out there that it's true; for all we know, Kekalainen recognized Bowman's mental state and approached him, and Bowman's statements are rationalization of his desperation. You're filling in uncertainty gaps with fabricated and overwhelmingly pessimistic "evidence" and incorrectly claiming it to be axiomatic.

2) Your presentation of the situation is deliberately designed to make the front office - one that you've repeatedly demonstrated even well before the trade happened that you can't stand and have a very definite agenda against - look as hopeless as possible. Or, in other words, nobody trusts your evaluation because when it comes to JD/JK you've got a track record of being, frankly, biased as ****, and this argument seems more likely to follow from that bias rather than any established evidence.

Reactions: major major

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
If you're going to be fair, you can't say "gift from Bowman" in regards to Panarin. You used the Jones rational as trading a Howson asset to get him, well Jarmo used a Jarmo asset (Dano) to get Saad, in which he used to get Panarin. Jarmo deserves marks, although I do agree with your overall point.
Dano? Main piece for Saad was Arty, who was acquired for Nash.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Dano? Main piece for Saad was Arty, who was acquired for Nash.

I'm not sure about the main piece part. That spring Dano was hot property, an immediate scoring replacement with upside.

Two reasons:

1) This argument presumes a whole hell of a lot based on very little. For example, (b) is the established reason given for Bowman making the deal, but (a) does not follow from same and there's no indications out there that it's true; for all we know, Kekalainen recognized Bowman's mental state and approached him.

If I remember the story correctly, the two were already talking about a minor deal involving Tyler Motte when Saad's name was brought up, and then Panarin's.

At the time it was not so obvious that Panarin was the better overall player, his stock took a beating in the playoffs. He was that smallish beneficiary of Kane, not the guy who was going to help you win when it mattered. Panarin improved with Columbus, and it's to his credit (and Saad's discredit) that weak-memoried folks like Cyclones cannot imagine that there was a time when it was widely (very widely) debated which player was better.

My personal theory is that Jarmo was thrilled to make the trade, but that was driven largely by the fact that Saad had to be moved regardless, after feuding with the team. Jarmo knew Panarin was a skill-upgrade, which he had been seeking for the workmanlike lineup since he took over in 2013 (recall the ill-fated Gaborik gambit). But Panarin was a mystery. It was as yet unknown if he could lead a line on his own. When Jarmo discussed Panarin in 2017 he mentioned his new acquisition's shot more than any other skill, similar to the way he was talked about in Chicago.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Two reasons:

1) This argument presumes a whole hell of a lot based on very little. For example, (b) is the established reason given for Bowman making the deal, but (a) does not follow from same and there's no indications out there that it's true; for all we know, Kekalainen recognized Bowman's mental state and approached him, and Bowman's statements are rationalization of his desperation. You're filling in uncertainty gaps with fabricated and overwhelmingly pessimistic "evidence" and incorrectly claiming it to be axiomatic.

2) Your presentation of the situation is deliberately designed to make the front office - one that you've repeatedly demonstrated even well before the trade happened that you can't stand and have a very definite agenda against - look as hopeless as possible. Or, in other words, nobody trusts your evaluation because when it comes to JD/JK you've got a track record of being, frankly, biased as ****, and this argument seems more likely to follow from that bias rather than any established evidence.

You are the eternal broken record. And your over-the-top language really is contrived as can be.

It was a well reported fact that Toews wanted Saad back. Bowman signed virtually every piece of the Championship Hawks teams to really, really bad contracts-Kane excluded. It was classic "getting the band back together/keeping the band together forever" syndrome applied to a hockey team. Clear as day to an unbiased observer.

To anyone but the most obtuse front office cheerleader, it is pretty clear as to why Panarin ended up a Jacket. Jarmo was a beneficiary of the gift. He would have been a fool to turn it down. That shouldn't be too hard for anyone but the most absurd, irrational Jarmo "pumper" who wants to credit him with a stroke of genius when it was clearly luck. He was rational. He didn't look the gift horse in the mouth.

Nice of you to know that "nobody trusts my evalutation". Talk about fabrications:laugh:

Your identity is way too tied up in the fortunes of CBJ GMs. It's really an odd way for one to feel "part of the team". Go to a game. It's a much better (and sane) form of identification.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad