GDT: #40 Blue Jackets @ Carolina | 1-4-18 *crap... scribble scribble* 19

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Your identity is way too tied up in the fortunes of CBJ GMs. It's really an odd way for one to feel "part of the team". Go to a game. It's a much better (and sane) form of identification.

You might try purchasing a mirror the next time you're out.

Every long-tenured GM will have their share of good moves and bad moves (yes even Chiarelli, and even Yzerman). If you've already decided whether a move is good or not by looking at who is making the move, then you're just well.. prejudiced.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Jarmo saw it as a "gift horse" it would be to his credit, the rest of the league was busy debating which player was better. Try and get the history right, please.

Really. The whole rest of the league. Yeah. Right. Maybe you might want to get your history straight. LOL

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
If Jarmo saw it as a "gift horse" it would be to his credit, the rest of the league was busy debating which player was better. Try and get the history right, please.

Both of you don't have it right.

Actually that should read, "all 3 of you"

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Really. The whole rest of the league. Yeah. Right. Maybe you might want to get your history straight. LOL
Enh. There was a debate; it just wasn't as extreme as major major is suggesting. Pretty much everybody thought Panarin was the better player overall; the debate was over 1) whether or not he'd continue to score as well as he would without a legend like Patrick Kane next to him (as we well know, he did even better), and 2) his ostensible one-dimensional nature and whether or not it'd drive Torts up a wall (in hindsight, he's been fantastic on the backcheck). Saad, meanwhile, wasn't seen as a big scorer, but was very effective 5-on-5, and seen as a model of consistency, always scoring just over 50 points (until after the trade, of course).

Basically, the way it went was that Panarin was acknowledged as better, but folks thought it was close because Panarin was ostensibly a "one-way" guy being magnified by Kane, while Saad was a consistent two-way guy. Then, of course, Panarin took off on his own and displayed excellent defensive skills and Saad's consistency went straight to hell, and the debate ended up looking really absurd in hindsight.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I said Anisimov > Saad from "day 1".

Anisimov > Saad > Wennberg

Now and at their hypothetical "prime" or "best".

Only a true Saad fanboy would ever think otherwise and compare him to Panarin.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In reality?

What changed?

And why?

Same goes for anybody who ever thought Saad was half the player Panarin is or was.

He got traded by Chicago and couldn’t get comfortable in one spot. They got a solid piece in anisimov, who they wanted, but they also wanted the potential of dano and insisted on him over Rychel IIRC

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Huh? You don't believe me? I have always loved Anisimov and hated Saad.

You can use the search function. I wish I had comments from my "old" name.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Enh. There was a debate; it just wasn't as extreme as major major is suggesting. Pretty much everybody thought Panarin was the better player overall; the debate was over 1) whether or not he'd continue to score as well as he would without a legend like Patrick Kane next to him (as we well know, he did even better), and 2) his ostensible one-dimensional nature and whether or not it'd drive Torts up a wall (in hindsight, he's been fantastic on the backcheck). Saad, meanwhile, wasn't seen as a big scorer, but was very effective 5-on-5, and seen as a model of consistency, always scoring just over 50 points (until after the trade, of course).

Basically, the way it went was that Panarin was acknowledged as better, but folks thought it was close because Panarin was ostensibly a "one-way" guy being magnified by Kane, while Saad was a consistent two-way guy. Then, of course, Panarin took off on his own and displayed excellent defensive skills and Saad's consistency went straight to hell, and the debate ended up looking really absurd in hindsight.

What "pretty much everybody thought" was that Panarin was definitely more talented. I heard it said many times to the effect that Saad was the guy who was going to help you win more when it matters. It wasn't just that Bowman went insane, Blackhawks fans, who knew both players best, were saying it.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What "pretty much everybody thought" was that Panarin was definitely more talented. I heard it said many times to the effect that Saad was the guy who was going to help you win more when it matters. It wasn't just that Bowman went insane, Blackhawks fans, who knew both players best, were saying it.
They were, but that was based on the "two-way versus one-way" difference I already made reference to. They were responding as though Panarin was a skilled passenger.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
My recollection of the league-wide consensus was Chicago gained a longer term contract that fit their future salary cap situation but the Jackets got the better, more talented player. Saad was considered top six solid, Panarin a difference-maker.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They were, but that was based on the "two-way versus one-way" difference I already made reference to. They were responding as though Panarin was a skilled passenger.

Right, you said though that "pretty much everybody thought that Panarin was the better overall player", and that's not true.

My recollection of the league-wide consensus was Chicago gained a longer term contract that fit their future salary cap situation but the Jackets got the better, more talented player. Saad was considered top six solid, Panarin a difference-maker.

No, there wasn't a consensus. As far as "top-six" "difference maker" etc... many pointed out that both players had the same good 5v5 scoring rates and that the offensive edge was on the PP. Some doubted that Panarin would be a difference-maker - Kane got all the credit.

Here's a thread from October 2017 "Panarin vs Saad". I don't remember the thread, but the contours of the debate are similar to what I was recalling.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Right, you said though that "pretty much everybody thought that Panarin was the better overall player", and that's not true.

No, there wasn't a consensus. As far as "top-six" "difference maker" etc... many pointed out that both players had the same good 5v5 scoring rates and that the offensive edge was on the PP. Some doubted that Panarin would be a difference-maker - Kane got all the credit.

Here's a thread from October 2017 "Panarin vs Saad". I don't remember the thread, but the contours of the debate are similar to what I was recalling.
Oh, you mean the thread that included a poll that revealed 83% of votes claiming Panarin was the better player?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Oh, you mean the thread that included a poll that revealed 83% of votes claiming Panarin was the better player?

Yes, that one. A lot of those votes came in December 2017 (the poll is still open now actually), but either way that kind of vote is indicative of two players who are kind of close. I saw a Panarin vs Kane thread yesterday that is similarly lopsided (in Patrick Kane's favor). That doesn't mean that Kane is seen as vastly better than Panarin, it means that most people have at least a small preference for Kane. It's debatable which player is better, I happen to prefer Panarin for his all-around game.

When we have a near-consensus on which player is better, the poll result is more like 99-1.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Don't you know that it takes 99%-1% to form a consensus. Get with it.

Chicago knew that they wouldn't be able to afford Panarin due to cap considerations. They knew they were getting the lesser player, but Saad could be kept in line with their cap and they were granting the wishes of Toews to have him back.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Chicago knew that they wouldn't be able to afford Panarin due to cap considerations. They knew they were getting the lesser player, but Saad could be kept in line with their cap and they were granting the wishes of Toews to have him back.
This does explain why they were willing to do the deal, but it doesn't support the "and therefore Kekalainen gets no credit whatsoever for it" followup conclusion that prompted this debate.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I had to look it up - the consensus processes that I've been a part of define consensus as agreement by all. There is consensus, consensus minus one, etc.., kind of silly. But I'm seeing now that "consensus of opinion" usually just means a majority of opinion. In that sense you could say there was a consensus that Panarin was the better player. It was nonetheless hotly debated.

They knew they were getting the lesser player

I'd love to see a source on this other than your own certainty. A large minority thought Saad was better and it's possible the team that acquired him also had that view.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
All I'll say is that I'm glad the CBJ aren't moving forward with a 1-2 punch of Wennberg-Saad on their 2nd, or god forbid, their 1st line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->