Proposal: 4-WAY Draft Day Trade

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
:edmonton

In: Jakob Silfverberg, Justin Faulk, Philip Grubauer

Out: 10th Overall Pick, Cam Talbot, Milan Lucic (1.5 Million Retained)

:canes

In: Cam Talbot, Milan Lucic (1.5 Million Retained)

Out: Justin Faulk

:ducks

In: 10th Overall Pick (EDM)

Out: Jakob Silfverberg, 23rd Overall Pick

:caps

In: 23rd Overall Pick (ANA)

Out: Philip Grubauer

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Silfverberg - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Faulk

... looks pretty damn good, and a huge improvement over last year.

The Hurricanes also solve two issues, especially their need for a starting goaltender. They have also been rumoured to be looking for toughness, and Lucic provides exactly that.

The Ducks get great value for a winger with one year until free agency. With the 10th Overall pick they can add another high-end center prospect to go with Sam Steel. Centers in that range are Barret Hayton, Joe Veleno, and potentially even Jesperi Kotkaniemi.

The Capitals have openly said that they want to give Grubauer a chance on another team, since he won't get the chance there and Ilya Samsonov is ready to make the jump. They get great value for him with the 23rd overall pick in the draft.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Oilers make out like bandits,while the Canes get bent over and abused.

Ducks giving up a very good,young forward to move up 13 spots seems an overpayment.

Caps make out well.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
You are missing Lucic in the out column for the Oilers.

I think the Oilers come out the best in this trade, Washington comes out pretty close to even, Anaheim I think could do a bit better (not wildly off), Carolina is coming out the worst. I'm sure most would think Lucic still has major negative value even at $4.5M, but I think if he was a UFA right now he could probably fetch $4M- $4.25M on the open market, but ultimately I can't see Carolina biting on 2 players who had down years, too much risk and salary.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
You are missing Lucic in the out column for the Oilers.

I think the Oilers come out the best in this trade, Washington comes out pretty close to even, Anaheim I think could do a bit better (not wildly off), Carolina is coming out the worst. I'm sure most would think Lucic still has major negative value even at $4.5M, but I think if he was a UFA right now he could probably fetch $4M- $4.25M on the open market, but ultimately I can't see Carolina biting on 2 players who had down years, too much risk and salary.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :thumbu:

I don't believe Lucic has negative value at 4.5 million. Last year we saw Reaves get traded (who's career high in points was 13) to move up ~20 spots into the 1st round. GMs overvalue toughness. And with the cap going up and 40 point players getting paid 7 mil I think he could at the very least return a mid round pick.

BerlinBlueShirt

Feb 25, 2016
Berlin, Germany
I think it is not that bad of a proposal.
To me Silfverberg and 23rd is a little much for 10th. Maybe EDM could add something like a 3rd rounder or some prospect
Probably EDM would also have to retain more on Lucic (like 2M) to make him interesting for other teams (like the Hurricanes in this proposal)
As everyone before said EDM is favoured this should make an overall fair trade

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
No way ANA gives you Silfverberg just to move up 13 spots in the draft. You might get some takers if it was Silfvy for 10, but even then...

Makes little sense for a team that's not rebuilding to trade a top 6 forward for picks.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's not the worst 4 way trade (which are banned, i thought) but it still doesn't make sense for Anaheim.
Carolina is probably still eating too much salary.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes aren’t trading Faulk for Lucic + Talbot.

Lucic + Talbot is still in negative value territory for me. I’m not sold on Talbot as a starter and he only has 1 year left.

Reactions: MinJaBen

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it :thumbu:

I don't believe Lucic has negative value at 4.5 million. Last year we saw Reaves get traded (who's career high in points was 13) to move up ~20 spots into the 1st round. GMs overvalue toughness. And with the cap going up and 40 point players getting paid 7 mil I think he could at the very least return a mid round pick.

lucic has negative value at 2 million. he is just to slow skating wise and to stupid hockey wise.

Edmonton does better in this trade that other 3 teams combined.

canes get much worse.

caps get ok little more than grubauer is worth but close.

silfverberg is worth the 10th alone if extention worked out

Last edited:

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
this is absolutely atrocious for Carolina. Why would they move Faulk for Talbot, who holds little value after last season, and Lucic who holds next to negative value after last season. Yes Faulk had a down year by his standards, but this is utter garbage for Carolina

Reactions: go4hockey

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
I feel like CAR gets bent over pretty hard. EDM makes out really well. ANA is meh, maybe in a different draft this would look alot better. I don't think the Capitals trade is that far off base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad