Post-Game Talk: #4| Tampa Bay Lightning @ New York Islanders | June 19th | 8:00 PM | F/W 3-2

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 4: ISLANDERS VS LIGHTNING
8 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
TAMPA LEADS SERIES 2-1
WATCH: USA, CBC, SN, TVAS, NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

The Lightning have taken a 2-1 series lead after putting on a defensive clinic to win Game 3. Teams that take a 2-1 lead in a best-of-seven series go on to win 78% of the time.

Bolts’ Defense Shines In Game 3

The Lightning have taken a 2-1 lead in the series after shutting down the Islanders’ offense in Game 3. Tampa Bay blocked 21 shots and got 27 saves from Vezina Trophy nominee Andrei Vasilevskiy in a 2-1 victory. Brayden Point scored the eventual game-winning goal late in the second period.

The Lightning were outshot 28-25 by the Islanders, but they put on a defensive clinic in the final three minutes to prevent New York from getting a shot through to Vasilevskiy. Defenseman Victor Hedman played a big part in the shutdown effort, logging 26:30 of ice time and blocking four shots.

The Lightning also had a 2-1 series lead over the Islanders in the 2020 Eastern Conference Final and went on to win Game 4 in convincing fashion. They’ll need a more complete offensive showing if they want to repeat that process. The Bolts were held to just five shots on goal in the third period of Thursday’s Game 3.

Wahlstrom Could Spark Isles’ Offense

The Islanders’ offense could get a spark in Game 4 in the form of Oliver Wahlstrom. The rookie sniper has been a healthy scratch over the past few games despite returning from a lower-body injury. Head coach Barry Trotz has opted to play the veteran Travis Zajac over Wahlstrom against the Lightning.

Trotz has stated that Wahlstrom is an option in Game 4. The 21-year-old scored 12 goals and 21 points in 44 regular-season games before adding a goal and three points in five playoff games against Pittsburgh. Wahlstrom has a lethal wrist shot and would bolster an Islanders’ power play operating at 25%.

The Islanders have scored just five goals in their first three games against the Lightning, so it’s clear things need to change. High-danger chances were 15-5 in favor of New York in Game 3, however, so it’s mainly about finishing chances. Wahlstrom excels in that area and will likely be inserted into the lineup for that reason alone.

Trendspotting

There are some key trends to keep in mind when betting Game 4 between the Lightning and Islanders. Tampa Bay is now 6-1 on the road this postseason and goalie Vasilevskiy has allowed just one goal or fewer in each of his past four road games. On offense, Brayden Points is red-hot and has scored in six straight games.

Islanders’ forwards Anthony Beauvillier, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Kyle Palmieri are among the team’s top scorers, but have been held off the scoresheet in three consecutive games. Both teams won their respective Game 4’s in the two previous rounds of the playoffs.

liVd8Nu.png

Playoff Series History

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
54-65-345.52.72.829-29-150.02.92.725-36-241.32.63.05-1426.31.73.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

GHz3Roa.png

Possible Lineups:

AgXpi1M.png

Team Leaders:

RsZ3h3p.png

Game 1 Highlights

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 13, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Highlights/Recap

Islanders vs. Lightning - Game Recap - June 15, 2021 - ESPN

Game 2 Highlights/Recap

Lightning vs. Islanders - Game Recap - June 17, 2021 - ESPN

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
I'm not confident at all. I think series is all but over. The Lee injury just killed the team against Tampa. You cannot have Leo Komarov playing first line wing and expect to match up with the Lightning. I don't think Wahlstrom coming changes much. Palmieri was a nice add but he doesn't play on the first line.

This sucks. If Lee was in the lineup the series might be 50/50.

I'm so disappointed. Who knows what will happen in the offseason with Seattle and the Isles FAs. I'm wondering if our window is closing quickly.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm not confident at all. I think series is all but over. The Lee injury just killed the team against Tampa. You cannot have Leo Komarov playing first line wing and expect to match up with the Lightning. I don't think Wahlstrom coming changes much. Palmieri was a nice add but he doesn't play on the first line.

I'm so disappointed. Who knows what will happen in the offseason with Seattle and the Isles FAs. I'm wondering if our window is closing quickly.
Fire Trotz.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
Fire Trotz.

I wouldn't go that far. Although I hate Komarov on the wing, I think he's one of the best coaches in the league.

Lou is the boss. He might be able to "motivate" Barry to shake up the lines a bit for game four. What does this team have to lose? A 4-1 loss in Tampa? Sit Komarov, insert Wahlstrom, and just put the top-3 forward lines in a blender.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Wahlstrom could play for Islanders in Game 4 of Semifinals vs. Lightning

"So no question we had a big discussion if he comes in the lineup or not in the lineup, and we haven't made any decisions, so I can't tell you if he'll be in or not....
hat's really what we're going through with our lineup. Where does [Wahlstrom] fit? Who do we have a little banged up that we might need duplicates if you will in certain role? It's easy to go, 'Hey, we're going to mix up all the lines' and then you have everybody going, 'Were we that bad? What's wrong? What's going on?'

What I don't get is who is Trotz referring to that is a duplicate of Wahlstrom? It's apparent his goal scoring ability is unique, he was on a 22 goal pace over 82 playing on the 3rd line as a rookie. He sniped off the rush, blasted one timers, cleaned up garbage in front and re-directed pucks. Who on the Islanders roster today does that?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Yep I’m in the right place.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I wouldn't go that far. Although I hate Komarov on the wing, I think he's one of the best coaches in the league.

Lou is the boss. He might be able to "motivate" Barry to shake up the lines a bit for game four. What does this team have to lose? A 4-1 loss in Tampa? Sit Komarov, insert Wahlstrom, and just put the top-3 forward lines in a blender.
Go that far ? Lol It was a joke.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING AT NEW YORK ISLANDERS

GAME 4: ISLANDERS VS LIGHTNING
8 PM | NASSAU COLISEUM
TAMPA LEADS SERIES 2-1
WATCH: USA, CBC, SN, TVAS, NHL.TV
LISTEN: 88.7FM | 103.9FM | 98.7FM

Preview

The Lightning have taken a 2-1 series lead after putting on a defensive clinic to win Game 3. Teams that take a 2-1 lead in a best-of-seven series go on to win 78% of the time.

Bolts’ Defense Shines In Game 3

The Lightning have taken a 2-1 lead in the series after shutting down the Islanders’ offense in Game 3. Tampa Bay blocked 21 shots and got 27 saves from Vezina Trophy nominee Andrei Vasilevskiy in a 2-1 victory. Brayden Point scored the eventual game-winning goal late in the second period.

The Lightning were outshot 28-25 by the Islanders, but they put on a defensive clinic in the final three minutes to prevent New York from getting a shot through to Vasilevskiy. Defenseman Victor Hedman played a big part in the shutdown effort, logging 26:30 of ice time and blocking four shots.

The Lightning also had a 2-1 series lead over the Islanders in the 2020 Eastern Conference Final and went on to win Game 4 in convincing fashion. They’ll need a more complete offensive showing if they want to repeat that process. The Bolts were held to just five shots on goal in the third period of Thursday’s Game 3.

Wahlstrom Could Spark Isles’ Offense

The Islanders’ offense could get a spark in Game 4 in the form of Oliver Wahlstrom. The rookie sniper has been a healthy scratch over the past few games despite returning from a lower-body injury. Head coach Barry Trotz has opted to play the veteran Travis Zajac over Wahlstrom against the Lightning.

Trotz has stated that Wahlstrom is an option in Game 4. The 21-year-old scored 12 goals and 21 points in 44 regular-season games before adding a goal and three points in five playoff games against Pittsburgh. Wahlstrom has a lethal wrist shot and would bolster an Islanders’ power play operating at 25%.

The Islanders have scored just five goals in their first three games against the Lightning, so it’s clear things need to change. High-danger chances were 15-5 in favor of New York in Game 3, however, so it’s mainly about finishing chances. Wahlstrom excels in that area and will likely be inserted into the lineup for that reason alone.

Trendspotting

There are some key trends to keep in mind when betting Game 4 between the Lightning and Islanders. Tampa Bay is now 6-1 on the road this postseason and goalie Vasilevskiy has allowed just one goal or fewer in each of his past four road games. On offense, Brayden Points is red-hot and has scored in six straight games.

Islanders’ forwards Anthony Beauvillier, Jean-Gabriel Pageau and Kyle Palmieri are among the team’s top scorers, but have been held off the scoresheet in three consecutive games. Both teams won their respective Game 4’s in the two previous rounds of the playoffs.

liVd8Nu.png

Playoff Series History

.....................ALL GAMES......................................................HOME...........................................................AWAY.....................................................PLAYOFFS....................
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
W-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-L-TWIN%GFPGGAPGW-LWIN%GFPGGAPG
54-65-345.52.72.829-29-150.02.92.725-36-241.32.63.05-1426.31.73.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Possible Starting Goalies:

GHz3Roa.png

Possible Lineups:

AgXpi1M.png

Team Leaders:

Thank you for this Game Day Thread, very nice job.

In the discussion of Zajac vs Wahlstrom I would say that Zajac has been there with experience, he is centering a line with his Devils partner Palms who has been scoring and who has put many shots on net they just didn't go in. Zajac is a better defensive player than Wahlstrom. Zajac can be used on the PK much more effective than Wahlstrom. So don't blame Trotz for picking Zajac. All I will say now is " be careful what you wish for". I would give Walhstrom a chance. If the Islander lose then they will lose the series. The Odds say they are losing anyway after giving TB an edge of 2-1 in the first of 2 in their barn. TB is the better team on paper. Paper doesn't always win but they did in game 3. Giving TB all the odds of winning this series.

Go get then Isles. You can do this but you must step up your hitting while still controlling your "trap" yet still pushing your offense. You need, a must, WIN, to stay with a chance to win 2-1 with 2 games of the three remaining games on their ice.

Go Islanders

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Trotz hinted at making a change tonight. Wally in or not. We will see, we need to play our best game of the playoffs tonight. Saturday night crowd, there will probably be good energy. We've been here the first 2 series, let's do it again with a statement game.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
Trotz hinted at making a change tonight. Wally in or not. We will see, we need to play our best game of the playoffs tonight. Saturday night crowd, there will probably be good energy. We've been here the first 2 series, let's do it again with a statement game.

Yeah, I am on the same page! We need to play tough and get more pucks through to the net and be direct in the face of Vasilevskiy on the doorstep!
I am still confident, that we can get the series tied today.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Move Palmieri to the 1st line and slot in Wahlstrom for his spot. Komarov is a 5 goal scorer and Palmieri is a 25 goal scorer. This is a no-brainer.

Reactions: BillD

CBG

Jan 7, 2018
Time for the greatest coach on the planet to coach and put these guys in the best situation to succeed. Win the game I do not care if it's ugly or pretty just win and everyones attitude will change. Tie this thing at 2 and make it a best of 3 series. A loss tonight would be devastating. Win it pretty or win it ugly BUT WIN THIS GAME = Lets Go Islanders

Reactions: JoeM

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Move Palmieri to the 1st line and slot in Wahlstrom for his spot. Komarov is a 5 goal scorer and Palmieri is a 25 goal scorer. This is a no-brainer.

If by "5 goal scorer" you mean how many goals he has tabulated over the last two seasons, including the playoffs and in the last 113 games combined....

You are wrong, he has 6

Reactions: Lek and Kevin27NYI

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ

Agree you have done it before against Pittsburgh and Boston but this is Tampa Bay a better team than those teams. This is it. A TRUE MUST WIN. I would not change Zajac for Wally but then I am old school, defense wins, and experience is needed in a Must Win game. Trotz knows this if he makes a change then he knows something we as fans don't.

Go Isles Time is moving slowly today I can't seem to wait for 8 PM.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad