Prospect Info: #4 Sam Bennett

Aug 3, 2010
Just to be clear, Bennett CAN'T be sent to the AHL. And why would we want to? This guy could be huge for us down the stretch. I'd scratch Granlund and put him in vs the Oilers. It's a huge game and a game he can really get his feet wet in.
He can. Where is the evidence he cannot?

He was reported as being sent out to Adirondack as early as two days ago. The Flames brass decided to bring him to Calgary instead.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

He was reported as being sent out to Adirondack as early as two days ago. The Flames brass decided to bring him to Calgary instead.

He could have, but at this point now he can't. Treliving made that explicitly clear in his interview on Fan960.

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary
Excited to see Sam light it up tonight (hopefully). This kid has a bright future and I'm ready for it to start today.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
Just to be clear, Bennett CAN'T be sent to the AHL. And why would we want to? This guy could be huge for us down the stretch. I'd scratch Granlund and put him in vs the Oilers. It's a huge game and a game he can really get his feet wet in.
He can't anymore, but he could have before.

He cannot be sent down now, that is why this was a tough decision for the Flames.

If they sent him to ADK he could only be recalled to Calgary as an emergency recall, meaning like 3 or 4 other forwards would need to get hurt. But if he came to Calgary hew ould be ineligible for the AHL for the rest of the season.

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I wouldn't want to be Sam Bennett's trainer this off season, because he will be working some extra long hours. This experience is absolutely great for Sam. You could see the fire in his eyes playing on the 4th line yesterday and you know he wants to be that impact player on a top line. Now he knows exactly what to expect and more. I predict he will come out very early next season wanting to make a big difference.

Last edited:

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I wouldn't want to be Sam Bennet's trainer this off season, because he will be working some extra long hours. This experience is absolutely great for Sam. You could see the fire in his eyes playing on the 4th line yesterday and you know he wants to be that impact player on a top line. Now he knows exactly what to expect and more. I predict he will come out very early next season wanting to make a big difference.

He had probably one of the best shifts of the playoffs for any of our players yesterday. Him and Gaudreau looked great together and I can't wait for these two to play more... not that Johnny and Money won't be together, but I feel like Johnny's the kind of kid who Hartley will like to double shift a lot!

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
He had probably one of the best shifts of the playoffs for any of our players yesterday. Him and Gaudreau looked great together and I can't wait for these two to play more... not that Johnny and Money won't be together, but I feel like Johnny's the kind of kid who Hartley will like to double shift a lot!

Just wait till they are clicking on a top power play. I can see them complementing each other very well. Three kids with such good attitude.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Bennett is a stud. At 18, he was one of the best players on the team during the playoffs. Can't wait for him to get even better. Monahan-Bennett is going to be a hell of a 1-2 punch down the middle.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Bennett is a stud. At 18, he was one of the best players on the team during the playoffs. Can't wait for him to get even better. Monahan-Bennett is going to be a hell of a 1-2 punch down the middle.

He's only 18?!?!?! :amazed: Wish someone would have told me that!

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
He's only 18?!?!?! :amazed: Wish someone would have told me that!

:laugh: You know I had to throw that into the post somewhere.

Seriously though. Youngest guy on the team but you wouldn't know it otherwise. No one would have blamed him for being in over his head and playing as such, but the kid has no quit in him. He got steadily better each and every game.

Maybe he can beat out McDavid for the Calder next year. :sarcasm:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wouldn't want to be Sam Bennett's trainer this off season, because he will be working some extra long hours. This experience is absolutely great for Sam. You could see the fire in his eyes playing on the 4th line yesterday and you know he wants to be that impact player on a top line. Now he knows exactly what to expect and more. I predict he will come out very early next season wanting to make a big difference.

I think Hartley wanted Sam to start playing center so he had him start taking draws on the 4th line. He's just thinking long-term.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think Hartley wanted Sam to start playing center so he had him start taking draws on the 4th line. He's just thinking long-term.

Absolutely.
I think it also has to do with Ferland and Bouma being healthy; and considering that the Stajan and Backlund lines were getting some really tough competition. He got to get one of his most skilled guys away from the heavy defensive pairings and forward matchups, as well as play some center.

I think he'll get a 1/2 center with someone next year (he will take one side of the draws, the other Center will take one side), to slowly transition to being a true center.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I'm hoping he can be put on the Sean Monahan summer time workout regiment this year. Money bulked up real nice last summer and Bennett could use a good deal of strengthening on that shoulder... and everything else. Kid's only going to get better and I'm thrilled by that.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
His game is definitely more suited to play centre. He is just so good in the middle of the ice. I think my game was a lot like Bennetts to be honest. And I played way better at centre than anywhere else, because the extra ice really allowed me get into open space and create chances.

I think we saw the same from Sam last night and in the pre-season. He dips into the d zone and has the puck in his stick more. The kid is an absolute steal at #4 and it's crazy to think he's almost eligible to be picked in this draft. Thank You Edmonton.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->