Apr 22, 2014
USA
Rest up, Granlund, scratch Raymond.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bennett-Backlund-Jones/Shore
Bouma-Colborne-Shore/Jones
Ferland-Stajan-Jooris

Byron's day to day if I recall.

You wanted FO players, correct? I think Bennett is decent at it. Putting him in a 2nd line role right away is not a good idea. Put him at 3C:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Granlund - Bennett - Colborne
Bollig - Stajan - Ferland/Jooris/Byron

Aug 21, 2014
You wanted FO players, correct? I think Bennett is decent at it. Putting him in a 2nd line role right away is not a good idea. Put him at 3C:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Bouma - Backlund - Jones
Granlund - Bennett - Colborne
Bollig - Stajan - Ferland/Jooris/Byron

That works I guess too. :laugh:
I didn't want to put Bennett as a center yet. Ease him in. But you put 2 other centers on his line so the point is moot.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Bennett isn't good at faceoffs and will be poor at them until he adapts like Monahan had to. Personally I would prefer him to start in the AHL because I don't see him getting the minutes he needs right now on the Flames.

dathockeydoe

@dathockeydoe
Feb 16, 2015
SK
Bennett isn't good at faceoffs and will be poor at them until he adapts like Monahan had to. Personally I would prefer him to start in the AHL because I don't see him getting the minutes he needs right now on the Flames.

Exactly. Nothing wrong with him joining the boys in the AHL.

The team talked a lot about the things they did wrong with Sven. Why would you do this with Sammy? We aren't the Oilers. We hopefully learn from our past.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Exactly. Nothing wrong with him joining the boys in the AHL.

The team talked a lot about the things they did wrong with Sven. Why would you do this with Sammy? We aren't the Oilers. We hopefully learn from our past.

Except this is completely the opposite of what happened to Draisaitl. They just threw him out there to dry, and it took them over 30 games to finally realize that. That's 1/3 of the season.

For Bennett, he looked NHL ready already in the preseason games. It's quite unfortunate that he got injured that took more than half of his season. He was sent to the OHL and lit it up there. There's nothing else to prove. Adirondack looks like they will be missing the playoffs.

StreakingRed

Jan 4, 2007
Calgary, Alberta
John Shannon ✔ @JSportsnet

And just like that plans change. Last night Bennett was going to Edmonton. Now it sounds like he's joining the AHL team to practice.

Aug 3, 2010
John Shannon ✔ @JSportsnet

And just like that plans change. Last night Bennett was going to Edmonton. Now it sounds like he's joining the AHL team to practice.

I am a fan of this move. Let Bennett have his day starting next October, after training camp. I want him to be built up, and hungry for his chance.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Adirondack's season ends on April 19th. NHL playoffs start April 14th or 15th, most likely. If he earns it, and if we make the playoffs, he could still feature in the first round.

Ynnek

Oct 24, 2011
New Brunswick
With the lack of scoring and the fact that Arizona and Edmonton are basically ECHL teams he should at least get 2 games here.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Still prefer him to go to the AHL. If hes not playing 12+ minutes a game and getting some PP time hes not benefiting being on the Flames. And I highly doubt he gets that.

Aug 3, 2010
As I stated before, I still want him to be in the AHL instead. The only benefit I can see here other than big-league development time with NHL-level coaching and training is that Bennett provides fresh energy to the team - his season has been incredibly short and his motor is running on 95% while the NHL players are closer to 70-80% so perhaps he can spark a little mayhem against tired defenders.

In the end, I believe it will be good for him but not as beneficial as if he played for Adirondack. And most importantly, I hope he can stay healthy while playing in the NHL.

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
As I stated before, I still want him to be in the AHL instead. The only benefit I can see here other than big-league development time with NHL-level coaching and training is that Bennett provides fresh energy to the team - his season has been incredibly short and his motor is running on 95% while the NHL players are closer to 70-80% so perhaps he can spark a little mayhem against tired defenders.

In the end, I believe it will be good for him but not as beneficial as if he played for Adirondack. And most importantly, I hope he can stay healthy while playing in the NHL.

Disagree, I think joining the big club is a good thing even if he doesn't play a game with the Flames. Being part of a playoff run and seeing the hard work will be good for him.

The difference between this and Baertschi was that when Baertschi joined, the Flames weren't that good and the culture had deteriorated from missing the playoffs despite being "a playoff team." Flames culture has recovered now and is in a positive place on the push to playoffs and defying expectations. Plus, Bennett is a lot higher talent and pick. He was under much more pressure than Baerstchi in the CHL ("pull-ups") and has recovered well from embarrassment. Finally, Baerstchi was never a Flames type player. He never fit with the mesh of the organization. Bennett has already started to show that he has fitted in, has earned the praise of both Hartley and upper management. Bennett shouldn't be held out because Baerstchi couldn't handle the big league and failed to put effort with the Flames.

Look at Monahan, elite players excel under the pressure. I truly believe Bennett can do well at this level and even with his injury he was sure impressive in training camp.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
So is he playing tonight or not? As an oiler fan I'm pretty pumped to see him.

trv

Nov 4, 2014
Didsbury
I don't know if he would have been better served going to Adirondack or not, I can't make an objective decision because I am so excited and anxious to see him play in the NHL. Hopefully that happens tonight and he plays well. 5-1 Flames prediction!

Aug 3, 2010
Disagree, I think joining the big club is a good thing even if he doesn't play a game with the Flames. Being part of a playoff run and seeing the hard work will be good for him.

The difference between this and Baertschi was that when Baertschi joined, the Flames weren't that good and the culture had deteriorated from missing the playoffs despite being "a playoff team." Flames culture has recovered now and is in a positive place on the push to playoffs and defying expectations.
Plus, Bennett is a lot higher talent and pick. He was under much more pressure than Baerstchi in the CHL ("pull-ups") and has recovered well from embarrassment. Finally, Baerstchi was never a Flames type player. He never fit with the mesh of the organization. Bennett has already started to show that he has fitted in, has earned the praise of both Hartley and upper management. Bennett shouldn't be held out because Baerstchi couldn't handle the big league and failed to put effort with the Flames.

Look at Monahan, elite players excel under the pressure. I truly believe Bennett can do well at this level and even with his injury he was sure impressive in training camp.

He could play 15-20 minutes to Adirondack, or less than 12 minutes in Calgary, and that's your argument? It's a pretty simple equation - development time on the ice is what matters. He spent 4 months already "seeing the hard work" while he was on IR with the Flames. Bennett would likely be playing top-6 minutes and 1st-unit powerplay time in Adirondack, and you think off-ice training is the benefit somehow?

Who cares if Baertschi isn't/wasn't the prototypical Flames-type forward? Regardless of how you think he "meshed with the organization", he's a) no longer with the team and b) Gaudreau could be argued to be the same, but talent is as talent does.

Your post is all over the place. Focus on Bennett. :help:

Last edited:

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Just to be clear, Bennett CAN'T be sent to the AHL. And why would we want to? This guy could be huge for us down the stretch. I'd scratch Granlund and put him in vs the Oilers. It's a huge game and a game he can really get his feet wet in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad