# 4 player in the Cap era (2005 onwards).

# 4 player in the Cap era (2005 onwards).

• Total voters

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Needs to be way more options. Including some defensemen and maybe a couple goalies. I don’t see what Datsyuk or Kane have done to separate themselves from other forwards in this time period

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
How/why is Kane a shoe-in to this discussion? He only had two really good years, and right now it certainly seems that he rode Panarin’s dominant two-way coattails more than the other way around. There are a considerable number of players (i.e. Lidstrom, Karlsson, Sedin) that I see as clearly ahead of him, and a very long list of guys that are at least on his level (i.e. Stamkos, Doughty, Chara, Perry, St-Louis). Same applies to Datsyuk, to a lesser extent.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
How/why is Kane a shoe-in to this discussion? He only had two really good years, and right now it certainly seems that he rode Panarin’s dominant two-way coattails more than the other way around. There are a considerable number of players (i.e. Lidstrom, Karlsson, Sedin) that I see as clearly ahead of him, and a very long list of guys that are at least on his level (i.e. Stamkos, Doughty, Chara, Perry, St-Louis). Same applies to Datsyuk, to a lesser extent.

Kane is argubly the best playoff performer of the era other than Crosby and Malkin for one, and was an elite offensive player in other years without Panarin (who is clearly Kane's inferior, BTW). He also carried a line while Toews got the best linemates.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
In Datsyuk's best season, Malkin still got more Hart votes. Playoff resumes aren't close.

And what's the case for Joe T. over Malkin?

In Lidstrom's last Norris season, Shea Weber was undoubtedly a better defender. People often vote based on name recognition better than quality of player. Datsyuk was slightly under Malkin offensively for several years, and was defensively on another planet than him and just about every other player in the world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->