GDT: #4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets|Part 2|The Penguins Go Full Rossi

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bull****. Noel abused our stretch pass. We couldn't get enough pressure in the offensive zone for much of the latter half of the game b/c of it.

Kunitz is hot garbage. Dupuis is not. His speed and effort has been a large part of our success.

No one likes TK with Malkin and Neal. But it is what it is.

I will agree that the stretch passes were bad but I didn't have as much a problem with that as I did with the turnovers. Once we actually got into their zone, we couldn't put a decent shift together because we couldn't hold onto the puck. It was really pathetic actually. They weren't even making the Jets work to get the puck back, it was so easy for them in their own zone.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
You knew I would be.

Degen, you watched Geno play for the last four months. First two games, it looked like he brought the defensive lessons of Paul Maurice home with him. Now, he's back to playing Bylsma hockey. ;)

Seriously, Dave King is the type of guy this team needs. A great teacher, someone who will know how to use Sid and Geno to their maximum potential, and a guy who's forgotten more about hockey tactics this week than Dan Bylsma will ever know.

Another thought: I wonder how much of the problem is Bylsma surrounding himself with 'yes' men. When the Pens won the cup, it was a pretty collaborative effort with Fitzie and Yeo. But, then he started putting his stamp on the team and bringing in his stooges as bench cheerleaders instead of guys who were strong where he is weak . . . with the X's and O's and playing bad cop.

I agree with you about King ... but then again, we've been on the same page about that since last season.

As for Geno's game here as opposed to MMg, it's hard to make comparisons because the game is played differently. I don't think he's gone to hell defensively. But, he was playing a more physical game there. Not at first, but as the season progressed. PP's were money because Malkin was in his spot, and Mozyakin is a righty. Struggled a bit on the PK at first, but was doing really well before long. Biggest difference is in ice time. He was a work horse for Maurice, his ice time was usually around 20 minutes. Sometimes it would be more than the top D pairings.

I don't know. I think maybe not having as much ice time and responsibility is hindering him a bit. The guys are shaking off the rust, which helps, too. When one guy is in mid-season form and the other's aren't, it's easy to make mistakes because you're expecting a certain level of play that isn't just there yet ... but I think that's getting better.

Guess we'll see what happens ...

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
What was up with our guys blasting shots into the shin pads of Winnipeg from the point all night?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sid's definitely coasting at this point. Is what it is. Pretty ridiculous he can do that and still put up our only 2 goals of the night.

I'm not worried about him.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Sid's definitely coasting at this point. Is what it is. Pretty ridiculous he can do that and still put up our only 2 goals of the night.

I'm not worried about him.

I honestly feel like Sid isn't playing good (for him) at all. I know he got 2 goals tonight, but they were both kind of flukey.

His timing seems off on making plays, at least.

And no, I am not blaming this loss on Sidney Crosby.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Jets fan here. I have to agree with previous posters it was a coaches battle. It's clear Noel put together a radically different game plan than usual. I was at the game and noticed this right away. The Jets just kept plugging up the neutral zone, making a big X and waiting for the stretch pass. They almost never do this. The Jets usual play is pretty forecheck heavy. I've followed them closely since the beginning of last season and this was a drastically different game for them.

The Pens needed to move the puck more, and play more of a dump and chase game.

How are you guys liking Glass?

PS Sid was gassed in the third.

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
Jets fan here. I have to agree with previous posters it was a coaches battle. It's clear Noel put together a radically different game plan than usual. I was at the game and noticed this right away. The Jets just kept plugging up the neutral zone, making a big X and waiting for the stretch pass. They almost never do this. The Jets usual play is pretty forecheck heavy. I've followed them closely since the beginning of last season and this was a drastically different game for them.

Personally love Glass and his bottom 6 energy. I think he's going to do wonders on our fourth and occasionally third. Did he leave after his injury? I can't remember seeing him come back.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly feel like Sid isn't playing good (for him) at all. I know he got 2 goals tonight, but they were both kind of flukey.

I wasn't either.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I like Glass a lot.

And thanks for the rest of that. Kinda tough to see the Jets NZ formation on the TV, let alone not knowing how it differs from their normal setup.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009

Interesting...

I thought even despite the goals, 87 created a lot. Considering neither one of his line mates can even handle a pass.

As far as the defensive stuff, he's been lax but its not his line that's a minus 5 the last two games. I don't get how he's getting blamed for not back checking hard on the Cooke giveaway goal. He was at the other blue line when the play happened and made a real nice read. If Cooke makes a simple board pass that could've been an odd man break.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

So that's what a coaching adjustment looks like.

Straight up trade: Bylsma for Noel . . . fine, fine, not enough, we'll throw in the two 'yes' stooges who pass for assistant coaches . . . fine, you want more, we'll add Lovejoy . . . four for one deal. Good?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Interesting...

I thought even despite the goals, 87 created a lot. Considering neither one of his line mates can even handle a pass.

As far as the defensive stuff, he's been lax but its not his line that's a minus 5 the last two games. I don't get how he's getting blamed for not back checking hard on the Cooke giveaway goal. He was at the other blue line when the play happened and made a real nice read. If Cooke makes a simple board pass that could've been an odd man break.

Blame isn't the word Andy. The observation is that he's been a lot more lax backchecking. Go watch tape on him from 3-4 years ago.

Honestly, I think the consensus among the vast majority of people here is that the real issue with the Pens is behind the bench at this point. Either he's overmatched and puts the players into ****** positions, or they're not trying hard enough to execute. I'm not sure it matters which one it is.

hctopcheds11

Oct 6, 2009
Blame isn't the word Andy. The observation is that he's been a lot more lax backchecking. Go watch tape on him from 3-4 years ago.

Honestly, I think the consensus among the vast majority of people here is that the real issue with the Pens is behind the bench at this point. Either he's overmatched and puts the players into ****** positions, or they're not trying hard enough to execute. I'm not sure it matters which one it is.

I just think overall that's a poor example. Even if he is going back 100 percent on that play it's not going to be the difference. Wasted energy at that point...

I've seen my share of Sid... So don't feel the need to go watch tape. As I said above he's been lax but his line/his D shouldn't be the concern right now. After all, he's been a plus player and has scored our last three goals.

The concern as you noted, is Bylsma coupled with two or three personnel issues.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
And thanks for the rest of that. Kinda tough to see the Jets NZ formation on the TV, let alone not knowing how it differs from their normal setup.

I know, I wish they'd just have the camera from the top of the 100s on all the time. I have no use for the cameras by the boards.

Bylsma is a smart coach, probably the smartest in the league IMO. He exploited our weaknesses relentlessly last season, including back door play (Pavelec comes out too far and isn't good side to side), run and gun with lots of odd man rushes, smothering the puck carrier as soon as they cross the blue line (they never wait for reinforcements or do the pass across the blue line) etc..

I'm really looking forward to playing you guys again, to see what the coaches come up with.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Straight up trade: Bylsma for Noel . . . fine, fine, not enough, we'll throw in the two 'yes' stooges who pass for assistant coaches . . . fine, you want more, we'll add Lovejoy . . . four for one deal. Good?

I'd take Bylsma for Noel in a heartbeat. Call us back in a month to see how we feel then. I know Noel is a smart coach, but the team has a hard time listening to him.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The observation is that he's been a lot more lax backchecking. Go watch tape on him from 3-4 years ago.

My observation is he's out of shape. He looked noticeably tired in the third. I don't know if he was just trying too hard, but I've never seen him look tired like this. But then again this is the first time I've seen him live.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Just got home from the game....unless you get to watch him live you don't get an appreciation of the vision Sid has over then entire ice surface.....I was looking forward to watching him play and the things he does you don't get to see on TV were very impressive...Happy we won but was really happy to get to watch Sid live :D

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
My observation is he's out of shape. He looked noticeably tired in the third. I don't know if he was just trying too hard, but I've never seen him look tired like this. But then again this is the first time I've seen him live.

Maybe that's part of it, but all anyone was talking about in Pittsburgh before the season was Sid's marvelous conditioning.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It seemed like WPG always had 3 players collapsing around their own net, nothing ever got through.

I have no idea what happened to Kunitz, but he's been noticeably terrible...

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
It seemed like WPG always had 3 players collapsing around their own net, nothing ever got through.

I have no idea what happened to Kunitz, but he's been noticeably terrible...

There has to be some strategic move to respond to that, if you have three guys always collapsing and blocking shots, step back, lure them out, play trap do something I have no idea what but don't force it..

I have an idea about Kunitz.....he's been bad for a long time but now he's out of shape,... and him playing on PP is pure stupidity....I'd rather play 4 on 4, not to be critical

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
what bar is he at???

im in philly and as far as i know there is no penguins bar here.

I saw the teaser for it where they said he was going to visit Pens locations all over including a Pens' bar in Philly. They showed a bar when they were saying it, which ironically had a 'Flyer's Country' banner prominently hung up so no clue what the deal was. I did not see the piece though, just the teaser.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad