GDT: #4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets|Part 2|The Penguins Go Full Rossi

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
it took them 12 minutes to register first shot in third trailing 3 to 2 against Jets? now someone has some splaining to do....

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
player development ... and funny but i just commented to someone we needed to get King, opened up this thread and there you are :laugh:

You knew I would be.

Degen, you watched Geno play for the last four months. First two games, it looked like he brought the defensive lessons of Paul Maurice home with him. Now, he's back to playing Bylsma hockey. ;)

Seriously, Dave King is the type of guy this team needs. A great teacher, someone who will know how to use Sid and Geno to their maximum potential, and a guy who's forgotten more about hockey tactics this week than Dan Bylsma will ever know.

Another thought: I wonder how much of the problem is Bylsma surrounding himself with 'yes' men. When the Pens won the cup, it was a pretty collaborative effort with Fitzie and Yeo. But, then he started putting his stamp on the team and bringing in his stooges as bench cheerleaders instead of guys who were strong where he is weak . . . with the X's and O's and playing bad cop.

Griffin6612

Jun 28, 2007
I just feel like this is the Penguins of the early mid 90s again. DO really well, then the system and coaching gets too relaxed and we just blow it every time in the playoffs.

I don't want DB to be fired per say, but we really really need more discipline.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I just feel like this is the Penguins of the early mid 90s again. DO really well, then the system and coaching gets too relaxed and we just blow it every time in the playoffs.

I actually wrote that earlier today. The country club is back.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Gino is -5 in last two game, that is too deep of a hole....

Forwards are definitely hanging the D and goalies out to dry the past couple games. Not totally exonerating the D but they need a better effort from more of the forwards.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
where's Cole's damn +/- thread? I need to focus my *****ing and moaning on set topics.

game was too brutal to warrant one :sarcasm:

+Tomáš Vokoun
+Matt Niskanen
+Joe Vitale

-everything ****ing thing from Iceburgh's socks and Bylsma's tie to gap-control strech-passes

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Maybe I was right to lose interest during the lockout. This **** is boring and annoying.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
game was too brutal to warrant one :sarcasm:

+Tomáš Vokoun
+Matt Niskanen
+Joe Vitale

-everything ****ing thing from Iceburgh's socks and Bylsma's tie to gap-control strech-passes

No + for Sid?!?!

also + Moving Tangradi to the 4th line. Fixed all of their issues.

And Lovejoy is an exciting player, scoring chances every time he's on the ice.

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game Pens audio

January-25-2013-Penguins-bench-300x200.jpg

Audio from Crosby and coach Bylsma.

To listen click here.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
It is because it's so short a season that you can't **** around. Either you keep him-- and entrust another year of Sid's and Geno's prime to what you believe is his superior coaching ability-- or you make a move unless you see really fast improvement.

And, yes, Claude Noel handed Bylsma's *** to him tonight. Great adjustments after the first and then after the second.

I see what you're saying, but I also have watched the Capitals as a "second" team for years and they're in a much worse spot than we are right now.

There are a lot of reasons for that (cough Ovechkin's skating like he's in a swamp cough), but their #1 problem is none of the players know the coach's system and don't have time to learn it in a compressed schedule.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It won't happen. But it makes me sick to my stomach that we may piss away another year of Sid and Geno's prime.

If we're a disappointment again, he better be gone.

You know, I'm watching this ****, thinking to myself (and I think Degen wrote this before) that I honestly can see a scenario where Geno won't be in a rush to re-sign.

I mean, you've got a coach who uses him unlike any other coach has used him and in a system unlike anything he's ever played. The team keeps getting bounced in the playoffs. Sid and you take less for, outside of Neal, that kind of **** on the wing.

He respects Kovalchuk. Kulemin might be his best friend. Gonchar is his best friend. He views Datsyuk with reverence. You telling me, no matter how much he loves Pittsburgh, that he's going to be in a rush to re-sign if we get another year of Bylsma inspired team underachievement?

I'm not saying that will happen or even that it's likely. But, it's no longer inconceivable to me.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I see what you're saying, but I also have watched the Capitals as a "second" team for years and they're in a much worse spot than we are right now.

There are a lot of reasons for that (cough Ovechkin's skating like he's in a swamp cough), but their #1 problem is none of the players know the coach's system and don't have time to learn it in a compressed schedule.

You go with something simple. It's not like we're talking about a major talent deficiency here. Issues with the quality on wing in the top six, sure, but Washington's issues are as much about the mix of players as knowing Oates' system. The Pens primary problem, IMO, is Bylsma.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
HCDB is not going anywhere. He has at least one more quick exit from the playoffs, maybe two.

Two things really stand out about this team. Outside of Orpik they are butter soft, and they turn the puck over a ton. Outside of Detroit I can't think of a team more averse to that phyisical side of the game.

They don't have the personal to fix the first one. The second one could just be rust.

Crosby had two goals, but also had about four bad passes that were very noticeable. Malkin looks disinterested, but it is early so....... Outside of an odd penalty on a faceoff in the second game have the announcers even mentioned Sutter? Third and fourth lines are invisible.

Vokoun was the best player tonight.

I think this is a good team, just not a GREAT one.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This game wasn't the system's fault. We just turned the puck over so many times. Offensive zone especially- just passing the puck directly to the other team. Either that or shooting right at defensemen. No puck support at all. Overextending shifts was an issue too. Quite a few times I saw guys staying out past a minute and ending up turning the puck over. Didn't lead to goals but totally unnecessary and selfish.

Kunitz and Dupuis have disappeared. Just a black holes of nothingness. Sutter may be snakebitten but he needs to pick his game up and contribute.

I don't like TK with Malkin and Neal. He hustled and had some chances, but Neal and Malkin need the puck on their stick and TK took away from that I thought.

Just brutal from the 2nd on.

Bull****. Noel abused our stretch pass. We couldn't get enough pressure in the offensive zone for much of the latter half of the game b/c of it.

Kunitz is hot garbage. Dupuis is not. His speed and effort has been a large part of our success.

No one likes TK with Malkin and Neal. But it is what it is.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
You know, I'm watching this ****, thinking to myself (and I think Degen wrote this before) that I honestly can see a scenario where Geno won't be in a rush to re-sign.

I mean, you've got a coach who uses him unlike any other coach has used him and in a system unlike anything he's ever played. The team keeps getting bounced in the playoffs. Sid and you take less for, outside of Neal, that kind of **** on the wing.

He respects Kovalchuk. Kulemin might be his best friend. Gonchar is his best friend. He views Datsyuk with reverence. You telling me, no matter how much he loves Pittsburgh, that he's going to be in a rush to re-sign if we get another year of Bylsma inspired team underachievement?

I'm not saying that will happen or even that it's likely. But, it's no longer inconceivable to me.

I've always believed that Bylsma doesn't really like the European player because he had problems with Sykora, Satan and tried to change Michalek's style. Probably goes back to Bylsma's playing days.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Sutter had at least 3 chances so he was noticeable but unfortunately he didn't bury any of those chances. Not sure if he's rusty or what. His defense is stellar though even in the losses I've been impressed by that part of his game. Just need him to start scoring a bit and get 87 and especially 71 to start playing better defense.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Bull****. Noel abused our stretch pass. We couldn't get enough pressure in the offensive zone for much of the latter half of the game b/c of it.

Kunitz is hot garbage. Dupuis is not. His speed and effort has been a large part of our success.

No one likes TK with Malkin and Neal. But it is what it is.

Ding, ding, ding . . . :yo:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I've always believed that Bylsma doesn't really like the European player because he had problems with Sykora, Satan and tried to change Michalek's style. Probably goes back to Bylsma's playing days.

I don't want to go there, but anyone who thinks Malkin hasn't become a duck out of water under Bylsma hasn't been watching.

Bylsma needed him last year, and, even then, he never fully trusted him as a player.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Malkin was junk. I haven't seen Crosby hustle once. Joey V tried everything from mugging Pavelec to throwing the puck in at the end.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Totally disagree with you here.

Sorry, but one of the things I always loved about Sid was that nobody busted his *** like Sid on the backcheck. He wasn't hustling back. Go watch the Jets first goal. You telling me 3-4 years ago that Sid would've backchecked like that?

aSockalypse

Feb 9, 2011
Big + Vokoun, had a great game.
+ Crosby in the first, not so much after
+ Niskanen, didn't neccesarily see any big mistakes from him tonight, any what I did see was pretty decent. I've been surprisingly pleased with him this season thus far.
On that note I've also liked Martin so far.

- Geno, terrible game against the team he normally lights the **** out of. And the silly hook on our only PP
- Kunitz, what the hell
- Cooke, bad outlet leading to the first goal, scuffle with (-) Sutter on the third, who was also invisible tonight.
- Glass' shoulder
- Team forgetting games aren't 20 minutes long
****, - everyone without the initials TV
- Giving out a soup-kitchen amount of pucks

It's just one game and Winnipeg played really well tonight, I thought they played really well in their third of the ice, especially blocking shots. I just hope this all changes and hate to say it I'm expecting another loss Sunday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->