GDT: #4: Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets @ MTS Centre|Jan.25.2013|8:00PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
200px-Pittsburgh_Penguins_logo.svg.png
200px-Winnipeg_Jets_Logo_2011.svg.png

[size=+5][glow=black]Pittsburgh Penguins VS Winnipeg Jets[/glow][/size]

Pittsburgh-Penguins.png
new-york-jets-playoff-tickets.png

[size=+2][glow=black]January 25th 2013: 8:00 PM EST @ MTS Centre[/size][/glow]

mts-centre.jpg

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Leaders[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

Neal 3|GOALS|Byfuglien, Kane, Ladd, Wheeler, Slater, Thorburn 1
Malkin 4|ASSISTS|Enstrom 4
Malkin 5|POINTS|Enstrom 4
Crosby, Orpik, Cooke, Tangradi +1|PLUS MINUS|Slater +1
Malkin 12|PIM|Slater 7​

[size=+2][glow=black]Team Stats[/size][/glow]
large.png
||
large.png

2-1-0|Record|1-1-1
3.67|G/G|2.00
3.00|GA/G|2.33
38.5%%|PP %|20%
88.2%|PK %|75%
32|Shots/G|31.3
28.3|Shots Ag./G|32.7
50%|FaceOff %|51.9%​

[size=+2][glow=black]FZ's Pens Combination To Watch[/size][/glow]
61841.png
9497.png

This pairing will be what to watch, maybe not in flash or highlights. But if we the team is going to recover from it's recent loss, Letang will be logging high minutes and tough minutes at that. With that, Niskanen has become a true diamond in the rough since he came over from Dallas. He was a toss in, and now has climbed to our top pair, and is handling the role greatly and impressively. This game will be won or lost on the back of this defensive pairing. Goals will or will not be score from any player in the line up, but the current base foundation of this team is this pairing.

[size=+2][glow=black]Official Team Report On Jets[/size][/glow]
After a fourth place finish in the Southeast Division in their first season since relocating from Atlanta, the Winnipeg Jets return the same core pieces who are one year wiser.

The Jets were led by left winger Evander Kane’s 30 goals and right winger Blake Wheeler’s 64 points in 2011-2012, leading to Winnipeg finishing a respectable 12th among NHL teams in both goals per game (2.7) and power play percentage (17.9).

In four games against the Penguins last season, Kane, Wheeler and the rest of Winnipeg’s power play struggled to carve through Pittsburgh’s third-ranked penalty killing unit. In those contests, Kane was held to just one assist while Wheeler earned three. The Jets took the first game of the season series, 2-1, but dropped each of the remaining three by at least three goals. But Winnipeg’s offense was anything but inefficient during those contests, as it scored a combined 10 goals.

With the addition of veteran center Olli Jokinen, who has played for seven franchises in his 15-year career, the Jets should have more size and firepower down the middle than they had during their last campaign. Jokinen had a resurgent year with the Calgary Flames in 2011-2012, as he earned 23 goals, 38 assists and 61 points during his most productive season since his final stanza with the Florida Panthers in 2006-07, when he earned 71 points. Winnipeg also added former Penguin Alexei Ponikarovsky, who racked up 15 points for the Carolina Hurricanes last season. In his short stint with Pittsburgh during the 2009-2010 season, Ponikarovsky earned nine points in 16 games.

The Jets were haunted by one of the league’s lowest-ranked defenses last season, which allowed Pittsburgh to score 22 combined goals in the teams’ last three meetings. Winnipeg’s 2.95 goals-allowed per game ranked 26th last year while its 80.1 penalty killing percentage was 24th overall.

Winnipeg did not alter its defense during the offseason, as it returns the exact same defensive unit led by offensive blueliners Dustin Byfuglien and Tobias Enstrom. Though Byfuglien’s offseason conditioning was questioned by some, he’s logged big minutes on the back end for Winnipeg in their first three games – including a game-high 30:27 of ice time against Boston on Monday. Byfuglien, who finished second in scoring among NHL defenseman last season with 53 points (12G-41A) in 66 games, already has a goal and two assists while Enstrom has four assists.

Byfuglien and Enstrom are instrumental on Winnipeg’s power play, and both players will need to spearhead a tighter defensive effort from the Jets blue line. They let a high volume of shots through to goalie Ondrej Pavelec last season, who ranked fifth in the NHL in shots against (2,036) and saves (1,845).

Pavelec signed a five-year contract extension in the offseason and is the Jets’ No. 1 goalie. Al Montoya, who spent last season with the Islanders, will back him up. Pavelec has already seen 98 shots through three games for Winnipeg. He and his team got off to a poor start this season, as he allowed four goals in a 4-1 opening day loss to Ottawa on Jan. 19. After coming out on the wrong end of a shootout against the Bruins Monday, the Jets responded well with an impressive 4-2 win over Washington Tuesday.

Kane and Wheeler both netted their first goals of the season against the Capitals while flanking Jokinen, leading Winnipeg to a 1-1-1 record coming into Pittsburgh.

---

* Pittsburgh enters Friday's game having gone 15-2 in its last 17 meetings against the Jets. During that stretch the Penguins have scored a total of 71 goals for an average of 4.18 per game.

* Pittsburgh won the final three games of the season series between the teams last year by a combined score of 20-10. The Penguins tallied a season-high eight goals against the Jets twice last season (8-5 on Feb. 11 and 8-4 on Mar. 20).

* The Penguins haven’t lost a season series to the Jets since going 1-3 against them in 2005-06.

* Pittsburgh is looking to win three straight road games to begin a season for the second time in three years. The Penguins began the 2010-11 campaign by winning their first three road contests and by posting a four-game road unbeaten streak (3-0-1).

* Since the beginning of the 2010-11 season, the Penguins have scored a NHL-best 24 shorthanded goals. The New York Rangers are the next-closest team with 20. -Pittsburgh’s home opener against Toronto on Wednesday night attracted a CONSOL Energy Center record crowd of 18,641.

* Friday is Penguins captain Sidney Crosby’s first visit to Winnipeg.

* Penguins F Tanner Glass is playing his first game against his former team. Glass spent last season with the Jets, notching career highs across the board in goals (5), assists (11), points (16) and games played (78).

[size=+2][glow=black]Penguins Projected Lineup[/size][/glow]
large.png

[glow=black]Left Wing [/glow]| [glow=black]Center [/glow]| [glow=black]Right Wing [/glow]
Kunitz|Crosby|Dupuis
Kennedy|Malkin|Neal
Cooke|Sutter|Glass
Tangradi|Vitale|Adams
[glow=black]Defense [/glow]| [glow=black]Defense [/glow]
Niskanen|Letang
Orpik|Martin
Despres|Engelland

[size=+2][glow=black]Jets Projected Lineup[/size][/glow]
large.png

[glow=red]Left Wing [/glow]| [glow=gold]Center [/glow]| [glow=gold]Right Wing [/glow]
Kane|Jokinen|Wheeler
Ladd|Antropov|Little
Ponikarovsky|Burmistrov|Scheifele
Wright|Slater|Thorburn
[glow=gold]Defense [/glow]| [glow=gold]Defense [/glow]
Enstrom|Byfuglien
Stuart|Hainsey
Clitsome|Postma

[size=+2][glow=black]Goalie Match-Up[/size][/glow][size=+1]Thomas Vokoun[/size]
penguins-rangers-tomas-vokoun_original.jpg

[size=+1]1-0-0, 0 ; 3.00 GAA, .912 SV%[/size]

[size=+1]Ondrej Pavelec[/size]
15F14E55DB7C6ABE847E25BF6D361_h242_w430_m2_q80_chJEXSMNc.jpg

[size=+1]1-1-1, 2 ; 2.27 GAA, .929 SV%[/size]

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Hope for a good win tomorrow.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I am a bit rusty, and I was rushed. Forgot about the GDT till late, and I have a 12 hour work day on base, after back to back 12 hour days... So... Ya you get it.

If there are any mistakes I will try and get the corrections in before puck drop, but if not, please give some latitude.

Thanks...

GO PENS!!!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Frightening defense last year's game.

Games like these, even when we won, were precursors to the ass kicking we got in Philly in the playoffs. Win or lose, I hope we see nothing like this in this game.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I remember our first game there last year. We win the opening draw, Michalek literally falls on his ass trying to handle it and the Jets zip ahead and score a goal 8 seconds into the game. I'm hoping for a better effort this time around.

PensFan6687

Mar 15, 2009
Guys this is my first time ever getting to see Sidney Crosby in person. This Jets season ticket holder is ecstatic! Hmmm, do I risk getting booed and jeered for wearing my Francis #10 circa 92/93 Pens jersey like last time? hehe

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Guys this is my first time ever getting to see Sidney Crosby in person. This Jets season ticket holder is ecstatic! Hmmm, do I risk getting booed and jeered for wearing my Francis #10 circa 92/93 Pens jersey like last time? hehe

Hopefully they show up and give you something to see and cheer about.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hope for a good win tomorrow.

Sorry if there are any mistakes, I am a bit rusty, and I was rushed. Forgot about the GDT till late, and I have a 12 hour work day on base, after back to back 12 hour days... So... Ya you get it.

If there are any mistakes I will try and get the corrections in before puck drop, but if not, please give some latitude.

Thanks...

GO PENS!!!

NP, Fiction, and thank you for your service.:yo:

LGP!

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
I really hope Deryk Engelland and Simon Despres play more tonight. I love the Letang - Niskanen and Orpik-Martin combinations. But, their minutes have to be cut back to maintain any hope of going far down the road.

Eric Tangradi has always looked solid with Joe Vitale on the 4th line. If his ceiling is that of a 4th liner, then that's fine. He's a bonus at this point and it's time for Tangradi fans to just let it go and be happy he's even on the roster.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I really hope Deryk Engelland and Simon Despres play more tonight. I love the Letang - Niskanen and Orpik-Martin combinations. But, their minutes have to be cut back to maintain any hope of going far down the road.

Eric Tangradi has always looked solid with Joe Vitale on the 4th line. If his ceiling is that of a 4th liner, then that's fine. He's a bonus at this point and it's time for Tangradi fans to just let it go and be happy he's even on the roster.

Not a huge body of evidence there, but that's the place for him at this point.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I remember our first game there last year. We win the opening draw, Michalek literally falls on his ass trying to handle it and the Jets zip ahead and score a goal 8 seconds into the game. I'm hoping for a better effort this time around.

Pretty sure neither Crosby nor Malkin played in that game so it should be better just based on that alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad