4 of the more infamous 1st round busts.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Players are labelled as busts but they have no control over where they are selected.

Expectations are attached to players based on where they are picked, scouts seem to get a pass more then players here and teams want to show they made a wise choice.

The hype machines take over and bury some kids before they play a pro game. Remember Craig Patrick calling Kris Beech 'the next Ron Francis' after acquiring him for Jaromir Jagr in Pittsburgh.

Alexandre Daigle in Ottawa was another example. Sens were terrible early on, the pressure that was placed on him was too much.

An interesting story with the Habs was Robin Sadler. Very talented dman the Habs picked in the first round. Got to his first camp and realized quickly he didn't have much interest in being a pro hockey player. Apparently, even paid back his signing bonus. Later he did play a handful of games in the AHL but moved on again, this time to Europe for a few years.

Teams with the best information on draft day, don't overhype their prospects and then nurture them well probably are the teams with the most consistently good results.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
1 goal in 57 games for an 18th OA pick is pretty bad. Unless you are thinking of the other Higgins which clearly Chris isn't a bust.
What’s worst is Brendl a 4th overall pick who finishes his career with 11 goals and 22pts

Griffin Reinhart is another major bust, a 4th overall pick with 0 goals and 2 assists for his career.....ouch!!!!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Griffin Reinhart is another major bust, a 4th overall pick with 0 goals and 2 assists for his career.....ouch!!!!

They sure got a heck of a return from the Oilers when they traded him though, getting 16th and 33rd picks. Chiarelli was a disaster there.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Guy from Atlanta is Patrik Stefan.....He and Yakupov and Pavel Brendl or tops when it comes to busts
In Stefan's case, he was concussed twice in his draft year, played in the IHL and had above average numbers, but too much was expected from him. He was considered the most NHL ready draft eligible player because he played with men, on North American ice. He and Brendl were on the same draft year.

side note : Some See Brendl in Arthur Kaliyev. We'll see how this plays out.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Lol, man, that’s like telling a Finn that Swedes are the same lol

:laugh:

why didn’t your parents name you Pavol instead of Pavel?

We are a bit of the same though, look at all the Finns with Swedish names like Rask of the Bruins for example, we were one country for approx 800 years. That is why I am Swedish but my DNA is 49% Swedish, 40% Finnish and the rest neanderthal. :)

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Selecting Bustniemi will be on the list in the near future, right alongside drafting Kostitsyn.
I don't think it would have mattered had he been selected 16th, but 3rd overall, you want a difference maker. He might be in a few seasons, we shall see.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
I wonder about Boom or Bust prospect that actually worked out?
I don't remember the expectations of players came draft time. I mean, a bust candidate who had a great career.
Not a high touted player who had a decent career, but a player who was expected to fail due to some reasons but did make it. Top prospects with potential warts that finally were alright.
Maybe P.K. Subban, there were reasons why he was picked in the 2nd round but he still made a name for himself.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Going back further, picking Wickenheiser over Savard is just incredible....I wonder how many more Cups the Habs could have won with the magical Denis on their side?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'll never forgive Gainey and Timmins for not taking Giroux. I'm no professional scout but steam was literally coming out my ears. And what was shocking was that nobody raised a ruckus when that happened. I felt like someone with a thousand eyes in a sea of blind men. lol Even the Franco channels didn't talk much about it. Had we had done that, we go to the cup in 2010 garantee.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I'll never forgive Gainey and Timmins for not taking Giroux. I'm no professional scout but steam was literally coming out my ears. And what was shocking was that nobody raised a ruckus when that happened. I felt like someone with a thousand eyes in a sea of blind men. lol Even the Franco channels didn't talk much about it. Had we had done that, we go to the cup in 2010 garantee.

Because the Habs wouldn't have traded for Gomez?

If the Habs had drafted Giroux, they might have traded him one or two years later, for Hossa or Lecavalier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->