4 of the more infamous 1st round busts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
how is Terry Ryan not on the list?

I also wouldn't have Fischer on the list over say Brent Bilodeau who in his last 2 years in the dub had 125 pts from the blueline in 115 games.

Lindsay Vallis is a good pick though.

Not sure about Higgins, I was just getting into the draft a year or two after his draft but I guess I don't recall much hype on him. That said it was clearly a bust at 18th OA.

Now I don't know what the writer was looking at but 2 names that popped in my head despite playing in the NHL were Eric Chouinard and Doug Wickenheiser. I know Wickenheiser played 550 NHL games but at 1st OA just one season over 43 pts. But I can understand leaving him off as he wasn't a bust per say but just a huge miss on what could have been. Still that one haunts us so badly for what might have been had they just gone with the local kid in Savard or say Paul Coffey or Jari Kurri. Wow does that ever sting.

I know Chouinard played 90 NHL games but his last 2 seasons in the Q he had over 200 points. There are so many players from that draft that had we gone with instead, oh well. But I do seem to recall a lot of hype on him and Riberio that draft.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Scherback cuz we didnt trade down a single or so spots to draft the ultra superstar who fell onto the laps of a bitter rival. Our scouting sucks

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Selecting David Fischer over Claude Giroux is unforgivable.
I remember that draft so much.

Timmins claiming he wanted to draft Giroux but he expected him to drop to the 2nd round is simply pure lie. Giroux was a big time riser and it was obvious he would not slip out of the 1st round. If Timmins believed that much in Giroux he would have overruled all his scouts and drafted his guy. He did not and everytime he says he really wanted Giroux well he is lying to himself.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Scherback cuz we didnt trade down a single or so spots to draft the ultra superstar who fell onto the laps of a bitter rival. Our scouting sucks

Nevermind just that, quite a few NHLers period came out of that draft who were drafted after Scherbak.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Selecting Bustniemi will be on the list in the near future, right alongside drafting Kostitsyn.

Reactions: Tyson

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Selecting Bustniemi will be on the list in the near future, right alongside drafting Kostitsyn.
koko.jpg

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Easy to look back and say that, however David Pastrnak would have been long gone before the 25th pick had anyone expected to him become this good.

Reactions: Astormynight

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Drafting is always a crystal ball game. Doubt boston knew they were getting a superstar when drafting pasta.

The problem isn't really all our busts and failures, it's that we never hit. Draft 16 busts over two years if you want and all is good as long as one of them hits.

Our last successes must of been Gallagher, patch, subban. And our recent one wasn't drafted by us.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Drafting is always a crystal ball game. Doubt boston knew they were getting a superstar when drafting pasta.

The problem isn't really all our busts and failures, it's that we never hit. Draft 16 busts over two years if you want and all is good as long as one of them hits.

Our last successes must of been Gallagher, patch, subban. And our recent one wasn't drafted by us.

Sergachev is looking like a good pick.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Nobody traded up to nab him.....it’s not like it was Anthony Mantha dropping 7 spots......the guy just turned out to be great

Reactions: DAChampion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad