GDT: #4| New York Islanders @ Chicago Blawkhawks| October 11 | 8PM | F/L 2-3

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I think its pretty clear that Cappy thinks that PMB is one of those guys. But, I think he needs to see what he's got with PMB and give him a little more time to gel. Brock is still 21 and would probably benefit for a game off here and there. He's here long term, there's no question about it.

But, I think Cappy needs to see what he has with PMB and if he benches him now, after 3 games, there is the chance that he never gets out of the doghouse, especially if the rest of the lineup does well. If PMB picks it up, the team is in a great position of having too many quality players. If PMB continues to disappoint, he sits in the press box but its with the knowledge that the team gave him enough of a chance.

At the end of the day, I'm sure we all want Brock to be playing. But its a long season.

I think you're right on, as to what the staff is thinking. I'd think that Cappy has had a talk with PMB already and hope to see a little more from him tonight and in the near future.

If it's the same thing from him over the next 4 or 5 games, take a seat.

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights
That's a shame that it takes so long to get over it mentally. But then you look at Adrian Peterson, and it's like he's better than before the injury. I guess an athlete's psyche is very fragile. But really, before the injury, Poulin looked insanley good, a 20 year old playing in the NHL, in front of a TERRIBLE defense, with a 2.44 ga and a .924 save percentage. People don't realize how damned good that is for a goalie a few months removed from juniors, look at the OTHER goalie's stats that year.

Dwayne Roloson 20 1206 53 2.64 6 13 1 576 0.916 4 0
Rick DiPietro 26 1533 88 3.44 8 14 4 685 0.886 5 1
Nathan Lawson 10 384 26 4.06 1 4 2 217 0.893 0 0
Mikko Koskinen 4 208 15 4.33 2 1 0 103 0.873 0 0

Granted Montoya's stats were great too, better than Poulin's, but Poulin hadn't even turned 21 before that gruesome injury. I never thought it would take forever for him to regain that form, if indeed he ever does.

Adrien Peterson, if unaided by chemical help, is a freak of nature. It's tough getting back mentally from any long injury but the way his injury happened is different from rose and poulin. Peterson's knee blew out from a hit he sustained when he was caught in a bad position. His body didn't necessarily or seemingly randomly break down. In some sort of way it made sense or it could make sense.

I think Poulin was stretching or warming up before the game and he just fell down. His knee fell out of place and it wasn't seemingly caused by anything. It was just a freak occurrence. Same for Rose, he drove the lane jumped and then his leg popped. Wasn't really caused by anything it just happened. I think that's where building the trust with your body gets more difficult, when you can't pinpoint a cause to your injury. Somewhere floating in back of your head is whether your body is just going to fail you again. That's true for all athletes who go through injury but even more so for these freak occurrences.

I thought Poulin was on a great track before that happened. I hope he gets back on it. I believe Patrick Roy when he said that Poulin was the best goaltender in juniors at that time. Hopefully we'll get to see it.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Page 1 is $&@$&@$& done!!!!!!! Anymore changes I will shoot someone!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Looking much better then what I started the day off with!!!!!!!!!!!!

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

Great job!

Nice touch with the mini-jerseys. Stop making multiple updates on game day... you are setting the bar too high. :/

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
maybe capuano is testing out if PMB will play better with Clutterbuck on his line? i don't know why he'd be experimenting against the cup winner.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Looks pretty cool with the jerseys!

Unlike our Islanders, let's not set the bar that high.

Like our Islanders, I like the roster flexibility we'll have with the GDTs this year. Good idea to rotate it, like the captaincy :)

Nice job MattyMarts! now go out there, score a goal and fight someone tonight!

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
I dunno, the way JT does everything else for Moulson, I wouldn't be surprised if this baby has a cowlick.

Given Moulson's propensity for capitalizing on the chances that JT gives him, it's probably safe to assume the kid is Moulson's.

Tavares probably just took his wife out for dinner and dancing, got her drunk, and put her in the bedroom for him. :naughty:

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
PMB is coming back from a pretty big injury. Only way he's going to get back to speed is by playing. We've played all of THREE games so far. People need to get a grip on calling for the guys head.

Yes it's disappointing to see Nelson sitting, but then again you dont know what goes on with the team when we're not around. Maybe he's sick, or there's other things he's not doing in practice, etc. It's not like Capuano has a wheel of fortune in his office that he spins to decide who to sit when Clutterback comes back. There's obviously a reason.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Given Moulson's propensity for capitalizing on the chances that JT gives him, it's probably safe to assume the kid is Moulson's.

Tavares probably just took his wife out for dinner and dancing, got her drunk, and put her in the bedroom for him. :naughty:

:)

ku-medium.gif

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Hey guys! Just stopping by to say good luck!

This will be a fun game to watch, but I'm definitely pulling for an Islanders win!

Also hoping JT can light it up a few times tonight for the fantasy team! :yo:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
They must be concerned how sitting a guy they may want to trade would look. Any other view on keeping PMB in over Nelson I don't get.

Chicago isn't a physical club, more puck possession, so it is safe to stick Mary Bouchard in is also a likely part of this.

I take it then that Moulson is in?

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
If poulin somehow plays very well tonight and gets the win, it would be huge for his confidience going forward. I want to see this kid succeed, it could go badly though lol.

member 151739

I always enjoy watching your team, Isles fans. It should be a good one, but go Hawks. :)

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
PMB is coming back from a pretty big injury. Only way he's going to get back to speed is by playing. We've played all of THREE games so far. People need to get a grip on calling for the guys head.

Yes it's disappointing to see Nelson sitting, but then again you dont know what goes on with the team when we're not around. Maybe he's sick, or there's other things he's not doing in practice, etc. It's not like Capuano has a wheel of fortune in his office that he spins to decide who to sit when Clutterback comes back. There's obviously a reason.

There may be a reason, but that doesn't mean it is a good reason.

This is the freakin' Andy Hilbert effect, signing some marginal bubble guy and giving him the icetime instead of developing our own kids.

We're supposed to be a building team, and all those nice first round picks will be either on other teams, in the AHL, or the juniors.

So, instead of watching Strome and Nelson tonight, I get to watch PMB and Regin.

Ugh.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I'm really excited for this one! I hate the fact that Cappy is sitting Nelson over Bouchard. Bouchard hasn't impressed me one bit through the first 3 games, he seems out of place and non existent most of that time. Nelson has been really good at times, and has shown he's hard to knock off the puck. Dumb move in my opinion, but it is what it is.

Let's go Isles!

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
First three game and people calling for PMB is a little insane. The guy 1) Needs to get used to this system
2) Is coming off a bad injury
3) Needs time to get adjusted to whom he is playing with

OMB may not be the same player who can make magic happen with slick hands and quick feet due to a laundry list of injuries.

However, to be writing the guy off in the first three games of the year is absurd.

I like Brock Nelson, but in the same regard the Islanders are finally taking the correct route with their prospects. I see no issue with this. Although, at this point if you have a feeling that Nelson might be the guy you want to sit then return him.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
There may be a reason, but that doesn't mean it is a good reason.

This is the freakin' Andy Hilbert effect, signing some marginal bubble guy and giving him the icetime instead of developing our own kids.

We're supposed to be a building team, and all those nice first round picks will be either on other teams, in the AHL, or the juniors.

So, instead of watching Strome and Nelson tonight, I get to watch PMB and Regin.

Ugh.

Bouchard isn't a bubble guy. If he's on his game, he's a quality playmaker. It's worth it to get him going.

I would also rather see Nelson play over Regin. But Regin's playing well. Let's give it time. Obviously the organization has a vested interest in seeing Strome and Nelson succeed.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Bouchard isn't a bubble guy. If he's on his game, he's a quality playmaker. It's worth it to get him going.

I would also rather see Nelson play over Regin. But Regin's playing well. Let's give it time. Obviously the organization has a vested interest in seeing Strome and Nelson succeed.

Yeah, and Hilbert, Kozlov, and all the other reclamation projects that we gave one-year contracts all had something to offer too.

I agree with you that the organization has a vested interest in seeing Nelson and Strome succeed. Kind of hard to do that when you are a healthy scratch though.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Yeah, and Hilbert, Kozlov, and all the other reclamation projects that we gave one-year contracts all had something to offer too.

I agree with you that the organization has a vested interest in seeing Nelson and Strome succeed. Kind of hard to do that when you are a healthy scratch though.

Viktor Kozlov scored 25 goals and put up 51 points for us. If Bouchard could contribute anywhere close to that then bringing along Nelson and Strome slowly, as veteran struggles and injuries allow, wouldn't be a problem.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
I really don't understand how so many of you are so quick to run PMB out of town after such a minute sample size. It's laughable how so many of you think he deserves to be benched after 4 games.

someone has to sit. i think it's common sense to sit the weakest player. What is your opinion on who should sit?

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Viktor Kozlov scored 25 goals and put up 51 points for us. If Bouchard could contribute anywhere close to that then bringing along Nelson and Strome slowly, as veteran struggles and injuries allow, wouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that we keep patching the team with guys like Kozlov and Bouchard and we never get around to actually developing our kids. How many first round picks have we had in the last six or seven years and how many are in the lineup? de Haan, Nelson, Nino, Strome, Reinhart. Instead of actually developing those kids, it is an endless string of reclamation contracts on one year deals.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
PMB was one of Minnesota's better offensive players until he suffered a major concussion. I think that part of the problem may very well be psychological - he is afraid of getting injured like that again so he instinctively goes out of his way to avoid similar situations. Unfortunately you CANNOT be an effective player in the NHL if you shy away from physical play.

Nelson's a rookie, and basically knows his place is pretty much at the bottom of the totem pole. Being scratched for a game because we have more forwards than we know what to do with isn't going to destroy his psyche. He's not a baby (unlike Nino, and that's why Nino isn't here anymore).

Ryan Strome really should be up by now, but if there is no room for him on one of the top two lines it's probably better that he be getting significant playing time in Bridgeport than playing only 10 minutes a night on the third or fourth line which would only serve to stunt his development. (Though I would like to know why they didn't apparently consider what their top 6 was ultimately going to look like before they went out and signed PM Bouchard. Maybe they didn't count on Peter Regin actually earning a spot as a regular.)

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
They must be concerned how sitting a guy they may want to trade would look. Any other view on keeping PMB in over Nelson I don't get.

Chicago isn't a physical club, more puck possession, so it is safe to stick Mary Bouchard in is also a likely part of this.

I take it then that Moulson is in?

Nelson is a rookie. Its par for the course. Vets get alot more leniency and seniority. Sounds dumb, but it is the way it works at all levels...esp in cappys books.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->