GDT: #4| New York Islanders @ Chicago Blawkhawks| October 11 | 8PM | F/L 2-3

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
80-1-1 isn't bad..

Seriously though.. I thought we looked out of sorts the whole game.. It just seemed when Chicago had the puck in our zone we literally had no idea what to do about it..

We have to give PMB a few more games before he gets the whippingboy treatment from the fans, but he's been bad so far..

I know Nelson's been good but I'd rather stick with PMB for another 5 games before we give up on him.. I wouldn't lose any sleep sending Nelson to BPT either.. yeah he's earned a longer look in the NHL but I'd rather him get top 6 minutes in the AHL than sit up in the press box for more than 1 game at a time..

Oh, and Grabner missing that wide open net was obviously huge..

We'll see how we respond against the Predators and go from there..

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
Poulin played well against a very good team. Its only one game, but its a nice start to the year.

This team has not played well yet this season. Yes they have had spurts and the Phoenix game was a pretty good one, but it wasnt great. In spite of this, they are 2-1-1. They need to get their act together. Last night they were running around in their zone far too often and its happened in most of the other games as well.

Also, in the BJ game, they came out with a 2-0 lead and sat back...tried to play defense all third and it bit them in the rear. This teams success is predicated on speed, pressure and forcing mistakes. They better remember that...and soon

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
This was the first game I actually had a chance to watch. I was wondering what everyone was talking about with PMB being invisible, but by the second period I still hadn't seen him, lol. This for Strome?

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Passengers: Moulson, Bouchard

I'm so sick of this sort of player. Bailey needs to be on the top line.

Donovan has a lot to learn.

I have said all offseason that Bailey needs to be on the top line, but i realize now that this move would make the second line stink. People continue to underestimate how valuable Bailey is to this team. He makes players around him better. That said, one way or another, Strome needs to be on this team, because he is that other playmaker our top two lines needs.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My takeaways from this game:

1. the Isles played the defending Cup champs on the road, were generally outplayed by a very, very good team, but still hung in there and almost tied the game in the closing seconds. Which is all a big improvement over past years.

2. Poulin played well overall, but he looked very shaky/tense for the first half of the game. Then he really seemed to settle down and looked much better later in the game. I've been very iffy about him, but the latter part of last night's game upped him in my estimation.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Kevin Poulin really surprised me. IF he had played this way in his first game against Carolina last year half of you would be saying he is the future of this team. Poulin should have kept the rebound on that third goal BUT Grabner should have scored on his chance too. Really impressed with Poulin last night and we need a HUGE bounce back game tonight.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
There was a sequence of tic tac toe passes that ended with Grabner missing the net. There are a few posters in here beating him up, and he shouldn't have missed the net. But lost in the discussion is the fact Nielsen made one pass too many on that as well and should have shot. He's been doing this a lot again and it is a problem. As teams begin to gel past the first month back from the summer break the ability to string cutey passing plays together goes down. I realize his line is productive at the moment - probably the best line for the Isles, but that won't last if they intend on pretending to be Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley. Frans needs to shoot more, and it was a problem last year as well.

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
There was a sequence of tic tac toe passes that ended with Grabner missing the net. There are a few posters in here beating him up, and he shouldn't have missed the net. But lost in the discussion is the fact Nielsen made one pass too many on that as well and should have shot. He's been doing this a lot again and it is a problem. As teams begin to gel past the first month back from the summer break the ability to string cutey passing plays together goes down. I realize his line is productive at the moment - probably the best line for the Isles, but that won't last if they intend on pretending to be Alfredsson-Spezza-Heatley. Frans needs to shoot more, and it was a problem last year as well.

made one too many passes? you mean the pass that left grabner alone on the side of the net with a gaping net and plenty of time? That pass?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Isles need to watch some tape of last night's game.....time to work on diffusing a strong puck possession team so you're not standing around watching them bank pucks off of the boards as they almost start a snowcone stand just inside the NYI blueline.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
They better address the issue of one of the wingers consistently floating to the low slot area in the defensive zone. It must be something they were told to do because it was happening over and over again, and with different lines/players.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
made one too many passes? you mean the pass that left grabner alone on the side of the net with a gaping net and plenty of time? That pass?

Yes, one too many. Frans had an ideal shot on his stick. Yes he gave Grabner a layup goal which he flubbed, but it wasn't a pure daylight pass. There was a defenseman in easy reach of that pass. It wasn't "low risk." Frans needs to shoot more/get more selfish. It has been a problem since day 1. Bailey had the same problem in the beginning but is slowly getting more selfish and his game is getting better because of it. Two passes around a crowded crease is almost one too many. Three is just asking to lose possession. Save the Harlem Globetrotter **** for the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->