Post-Game Talk: #4| New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | Broctober 11th | 7:00 PM | F/l 5-2

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The team will be fine . LGI
2018/19 season was way better than anyone expected. I will take that gift and cherish it . We were not even supposed to be a playoff team . A little reset like the stock market. This was always a long term plan to win a cup . Lou and BT are working it out and let's talk in 2022/23 .

Now if we need to vent let's talk about Butch Goring . He has to go go go go like right now .
I am glad you are willing to wait another 4 years for a team worthy of contention. You must be the most patient person on the planet.

Reactions: SteveH124

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
From my vantage point at the arena, there wasn't much effort. Greiss played very well or CAR would have had 10 goals. I didn't like Nelson's game - seemed like physical contact was forbidden. Same for most of the team actually. I thought MDC had a good game from a defensive standpoint. But really, he will never be the scorer we had hoped. His role is best suited as a shutdown guy. Sadly, Clutter looks like he's about done.

If we didn't already know this after last year's playoffs, CAR is a very good team, and even more improved over last year. Dzingel adds even more speed to an extremely fast team, and Gardiner was a nice pick up. The Canes made us look like we were playing in slow motion. They would make 3 passes before the Isles would even react.

And if they don't find someone to play with Barzal, his career will be wasted here. Teams are figuring him out, as when he is out there, other teams just keep him to the outside until they can force a bad pass or take him out of the play against the boards. No one else out there is on his plateau, so no plays are developing as he looks for something to open up.

I just don't see any structure. No one is in position, no one seems to know where they should be or where their teammates will be on the ice. I know Lou was aiming high with Panarin, and I know some may argue there was no imperative to sign other FA's given the team's point total last year. But I feel the Isles had to lay it out on the line every night to accomplish what they did last year. I think that they don't have it in them, without an addition of talent, to do it again. Even additions of players on Dzingel's level, decent scoring and lots of speed, would have helped.

It might sound like I'm saying the sky is falling, but I think this team is going to have a hard time, and will be a fringe playoff team at best. Unless Lou does something. Bring up a kid or two, make a trade for scoring, I don't know....
What is funny about all that, is I remember everyone on here criticizing anyone who dared to mention that the Isles should be in on players like Dzingel and Gardiner, saying they were no better than what we already had. Hmmmmmmmm

Reactions: beach

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The Isles' offense has underperformed but what did we expect? It's been their weak area for years.

The bigger problem is that we all expected their D to be a top 5 NHL group. That might happen in 2 years but we're far away from that now.

Look at the Canes and starting with Slavvin, let me know how the Isles' D stacks up. And don't forget, the Canes' offense is also better.

Gonna be a long season.
That is because Isles fans severely overrate guys like Pelech and Mayfield. Even Pulock would be a #4 dman on teams like Carolina. Our defense is a product of the system, it is nothing special as individual parts.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I really liked the Canes offseason acquisitions. A lot of speed, some tenacious players, and skill. They’re fast and well coached. They looked a step ahead of the isles last night.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I really liked the Canes offseason acquisitions. A lot of speed, some tenacious players, and skill. They’re fast and well coached. They looked a step ahead of the isles last night.

I honestly hated their moves. It reminded me a bit of the 2016 panthers off season. I thought they depleted pieces of the D and ended up with a lousy defensive Dman in Gardiner who Leafs fans couldn’t wait to run out of town and the offensive pieces they got in Dzingel and Haula are honestly not that great either. Haula is past his peak and coming off a severe injury and Dzingel is basically a rich man’s Cizikas without the hitting. I expect Carolina will be more mid to lower tier 6-8 in the playoff rankings than like top 3 in the league like many project

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I honestly hated their moves. It reminded me a bit of the 2016 panthers off season. I thought they depleted pieces of the D and ended up with a lousy defensive Dman in Gardiner who Leafs fans couldn’t wait to run out of town and the offensive pieces they got in Dzingel and Haula are honestly not that great either. Haula is past his peak and coming off a severe injury and Dzingel is basically a rich man’s Cizikas without the hitting. I expect Carolina will be more mid to lower tier 6-8 in the playoff rankings than like top 3 in the league like many project
They are 5-0. You might want to wait until they lose even a single game before posting this kind of prediction.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Carolina is elite team. Look at the top point-getters in 2019 calendar year: it's Carolina, St Louis, Tampa, Boston, and then huge drop-off to everybody else.

BTW, in terms of PPG, we are No 7, after Big-4, Calgary and Nashville, Washington is right behind us at No 8. Meanwhile, the Great Contender up north is ... No 20, well behind the likes of Arizona and Chicago.

Reactions: dood

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Totally agree with Lee playing on Nelson's line. Barzal and Lee's game are not made for each other.

I have to agree here - move Lee with Nelson and bring Beau back up with Maty.

MDC with Brassard and Komarov-

see if there is a trade for F - Hickey for ?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am glad you are willing to wait another 4 years for a team worthy of contention. You must be the most patient person on the planet.
Compared to where this franchise was in the 1990s, this is a picnic. I can wait for them to straighten things out with one hand tied behind my back.

Maybe you should try yoga.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

That's an odd comparison. Their play styles and strengths as players are nothing alike. Dzingel's closer to a Jordan Eberle type than a Cizikas. Faster skater, but not as slick hands.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think the Canes win the division.

Reactions: Flair19Woo

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006

I see where you are coming from. I think swapping Dehaan and Faulk for Gardiner and Edmundson is risky but honestly they save a bit of cash and still have that puck moving skill and defensive dman presence. It’s also smart given Cal’s chronic shoulder issues. Plus they still have pesce and hamilton, and Slavin on the left. I think brindamours system is great for guys like haula and dzingel. I think the moves made a quick, tenacious team even more so. But we shall see.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
4 years to be a contender is a bit much for me too but hoisting the cup in 4 years sounds about right on schedule .

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The Isles were 3-3 after 6 last season and that was with 4 of the 6 on the road. They need to win two straight this weekend just to get to that mark with 5 of 6 at home. Quite a difference in the starts to the two seasons.

Really? Islanders are 2-3 and you say they went 3-3, and you are telling me that is quite a difference? Sometimes I wonder if you are just trolling or honestly think the way you do. This is not "quite a difference" at all, even when they were 1-3, lol.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The team was 9-1 with him in last year and advanced stats showed the team played better offensively and defensively with him in the lineup, but yeah...idiots

And yet.... he was still sent back down.

Meaning despite whatever his contribution to that success might have been, there were other aspects to him, his game, his level of professionalism - whatever - that made the team want to move on without his services. That says a friggin' lot, especially looking at our utter void of offensive capability.

For my taste, and I saw all 10 of those games, his play got worse and worse and worse. And when the errors you're making are due to overhandling the puck, taking too many risks along the bluelines, going too deep into the corners in his own zone just to throw the puck to the opposition Dman (like, the one he should have been covering) and trying to do too much by yourself, you're out of an NHL job mighty quickly. We saw the same crap in his preseason game against the Rangers where he had a top 6 role. The fumbling around that he is regularly guilty of leads to an incredible amount of work for his teammates.

And don't think for one second that that kind of thing doesn't play a HUGE role off the ice and in that locker room.

Players hate that shit!

And all that plays a much bigger part in decision making than the fans' desire to see the few moves he can make along the way. Damn shame he hasn't done whatever has been necessary to make this work out, because he does bring things that no-one other than Barzal can do.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
And yet.... he was still sent back down.

Meaning despite whatever his contribution to that success might have been, there were other aspects to him, his game, his level of professionalism - whatever - that made the team want to move on without his services. That says a friggin' lot, especially looking at our utter void of offensive capability.

For my taste, and I saw all 10 of those games, his play got worse and worse and worse. And when the errors you're making are due to overhandling the puck, taking too many risks along the bluelines, going too deep into the corners in his own zone just to throw the puck to the opposition Dman (like, the one he should have been covering) and trying to do too much by yourself, you're out of an NHL job mighty quickly. We saw the same crap in his preseason game against the Rangers where he had a top 6 role. The fumbling around that he is regularly guilty of leads to an incredible amount of work for his teammates.

And don't think for one second that that kind of thing doesn't play a HUGE role off the ice and in that locker room.

Players hate that ****!

And all that plays a much bigger part in decision making than the fans' desire to see the few moves he can make along the way. Damn shame he hasn't done whatever has been necessary to make this work out, because he does bring things that no-one other than Barzal can do.
JHS seems to be gifted with all the tools needed to be effective at the NHL level, but lacks... something.

Lots of kids make the jump, and struggle with the team game, tending to focus on their stats, more. And we often see these kids start having greater success, as they evolve away from this line of thinking.

Whatever it is, I hope the kid figures it out, and takes a big leap forward, soon. For us, of course, but sadly, it seems like that boat has sailed.

There were time's in which he played a very good team game, and coupled with his slick skill-set, was dominant, and a treat to watch. Shame that he hasn't been able to 'progress' significantly, but he still has plenty of potential. Confidence, arrogance, Mike Pence, crap in pants... I have no idea what is truly causing him to currently under-perform, but it is truly a shame.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad