Post-Game Talk: #4| New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | Broctober 11th | 7:00 PM | F/l 5-2

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
With Florida and St Louis coming up there is a legit chance this team could be 1-5 after playing 5 of the first 6 games at home. That would be a disaster.

I believe the only team in the last 30 years to start 1-5 and make the postseason was the 98-99 Colorado Avalanche. I recall seeing that stat last season when they were discussing a team that started 1-5

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I appreciate that they needed a competent center who was defensively responsible on the fourth line, but I think it was a mistake to separate Leo and Beau. Hope Zeke is back for the next game.

I've not been impressed with Brassard.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Isles were trash to start last season as well. Of course they were adjusting to a new system, so can't use that excuse. I'm holding out hope things will start clicking like they did last year, but not digging what I'm seeing at all. The hitting is completely gone. Trotz said in pregame they lost their identity and that's for sure. They are trying to all play like Barzal when none of them are close to the talent Barzal has. They need to go back to grinding and hitting and stop with the behind the back no look flash they keep forcing.

MDC will get there. To say he has a terrible release is just not honest. He's literally 0/1 in chances to get his shot off, it's too small of a sample size. His shot will end up being miles better than Barzal. Brassard is a floater with bad hockey IQ. I don't know how he did well in prior seasons. To me, he's no better than Tanner Fritz honestly.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Greiss is flopping around on the ice like a clubbed seal. I wish we had another goaltender who could show him how to stand his ground and steady his game. Oh, wait... that's right we did!

?? Weirdest comment ever....he flopped around on the ice once on a strange play. It's not like that's a common occurrence for him. In fact, he's simply not that athletic to being do that much hence why you rarely see it happen. You really came out of left field with this one!

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I'm assuming Brassard's looking like the Brassard I watched play in Pittsburgh last season?

The verdict is still out on him. Good preseason. Think he’s trying to do too much to compensate for previous years, going outside his box.

I like his speed and shot better than Filp, he’s not as savvy defensively of course.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Complain about Brassard when the team is playing well and he looks like crap. Hard to pick on him when EVERYONE is playing like garbage.

Pandolfo.....err..I mean...MDC does not belong here. I'd rather Lorito or Fritz in his place. Can we call Keith Aucoin back?

We are at least a half step back...passing is not crisp..too soft and has a hard time reaching the player.

We take too long to release the puck when we shoot.

It seems like the whole team took the summer off...and I say 20 games before we get into game shape...

Have a beer for Lafreniere

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Besides Lee name a worst skater on the roster
Well for starters Clutterbuck doesn't look like the same skater he once was. I would add Martin, Boychuck and Mayfield as well. Yeah I know I included defenseman as well. Look I'm not saying he's Scott Hamilton but he is not as slow as people makes him out to be. He looks awkward in his skating style I'll give you that but he is not that slow. My main point is he is the least of our problems right now. He might not be the sharp shooting sniper we drafted him to be but he has improved his game and is at least winning puck battles and giving decent minutes.

Reactions: MJF

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
The team will be fine . LGI
2018/19 season was way better than anyone expected. I will take that gift and cherish it . We were not even supposed to be a playoff team . A little reset like the stock market. This was always a long term plan to win a cup . Lou and BT are working it out and let's talk in 2022/23 .

Now if we need to vent let's talk about Butch Goring . He has to go go go go like right now .

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
If I were a betting man that plane ride back home must of been crickets. Win tonight and were 2-3. Keep it simple. Not many better coaches in the league to fix this mess. LGI

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Remember:
a) Barry Trotz is still the coach
b) Korn and Greco are still on board
c) If all else fails, the 2020 draft is going to be an absolute WHAMMY! (and we've got all of our picks)

I'm seeing a no-lose situation here.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Someone mentioned 1 win in the last 8 games....8 games of rushing defensemen will do it.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I actually somewhat liked our first line tonight – no result, but at least some effort and some hustle were there.

Nelson was better than in the previous game, Knhl was ok for his role and abilities.

MM and Clutter miss Cizikas, Leo and Beau miss each other.

Bailey was brain-dead for the second straight game, Dal Colle is useless.

Brassard is awful, he is on path to waiver wire.

Boychuk was fine, Dobson too, at least he was not a liability.

Mayfield – below average, Toews – well below.

Pelech-Pulock are awful, they are supposed to be our top pair, if they're going to play like that – we are doomed.

Varly and, it seems Greiss now too, need to pull their heads out of their 5th points.

Overall, in the last game there were no effort and no structure, tonight there was some effort, but still no structure. A lot of work is ahead.
From my vantage point at the arena, there wasn't much effort. Greiss played very well or CAR would have had 10 goals. I didn't like Nelson's game - seemed like physical contact was forbidden. Same for most of the team actually. I thought MDC had a good game from a defensive standpoint. But really, he will never be the scorer we had hoped. His role is best suited as a shutdown guy. Sadly, Clutter looks like he's about done.

If we didn't already know this after last year's playoffs, CAR is a very good team, and even more improved over last year. Dzingel adds even more speed to an extremely fast team, and Gardiner was a nice pick up. The Canes made us look like we were playing in slow motion. They would make 3 passes before the Isles would even react.

And if they don't find someone to play with Barzal, his career will be wasted here. Teams are figuring him out, as when he is out there, other teams just keep him to the outside until they can force a bad pass or take him out of the play against the boards. No one else out there is on his plateau, so no plays are developing as he looks for something to open up.

I just don't see any structure. No one is in position, no one seems to know where they should be or where their teammates will be on the ice. I know Lou was aiming high with Panarin, and I know some may argue there was no imperative to sign other FA's given the team's point total last year. But I feel the Isles had to lay it out on the line every night to accomplish what they did last year. I think that they don't have it in them, without an addition of talent, to do it again. Even additions of players on Dzingel's level, decent scoring and lots of speed, would have helped.

It might sound like I'm saying the sky is falling, but I think this team is going to have a hard time, and will be a fringe playoff team at best. Unless Lou does something. Bring up a kid or two, make a trade for scoring, I don't know....

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I'm assuming Brassard's looking like the Brassard I watched play in Pittsburgh last season?

yes. Looks slow. Not very engaged. He’s going to be a problem. He will not replace what Fil brought. No chance. Not even close to the same player as Fil.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Well for starters Clutterbuck doesn't look like the same skater he once was. I would add Martin, Boychuck and Mayfield as well. Yeah I know I included defenseman as well. Look I'm not saying he's Scott Hamilton but he is not as slow as people makes him out to be. He looks awkward in his skating style I'll give you that but he is not that slow. My main point is he is the least of our problems right now. He might not be the sharp shooting sniper we drafted him to be but he has improved his game and is at least winning puck battles and giving decent minutes.

It’s not just his skating, looks like everything he does is slow.
Don’t want to pick on just MDC, this roster looks like Lou is trying to rebuild the 1996 Devils.
Need a serious upgrade in speed and skill.
Since Lee, Nelson, Eberle and Barzal aren’t going anywhere, and Tito looks like he got into the weight room over the summer that leaves
Bailey, Brassard, MDC, the 4th line and Leo.
Need to swap out some of these parts for upgraded models.
On another note, Lee should be with Nelson not Barzal. Lee’s game is deflections and rebounds, Nelson is a shooter, can create that better for Lee.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Everyone in the minus other than Martin and Leo...yet Leo only went 2-10 in the face-off circle....With Leo having trouble winning face-offs they were still able to keep the puck out of the net due to their defensive abilities...Martin drew the penalty that led to the 1st goal...Not so sure everyone should be pointing the finger at the 4th line when the other lines cannot score nor keep the puck out of their own net.
The activation of the Defence is a real problem its happening way too often ..throwing off forwards who have to cover and defence getting caught..Teams are waiting and watching then stretch passing catching the Isles on odd man rushes.
Theres less and less forecheck/hitting due to the d-men rushing also, the whole process has changed due to this rushing.

13 & 18 need to play together....otherwise the rest of the forwards will continue having scoring problems.

Their play resembles the years 2 minute Johnny was losing 13 games a year for the isles yet everyone loved Johnny.

Last edited:

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Isles' offense has underperformed but what did we expect? It's been their weak area for years.

The bigger problem is that we all expected their D to be a top 5 NHL group. That might happen in 2 years but we're far away from that now.

Look at the Canes and starting with Slavin, let me know how the Isles' D stacks up. And don't forget, the Canes' offense is also better.

Gonna be a long season.

Last edited:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Isles were trash to start last season as well. Of course they were adjusting to a new system, so can't use that excuse. I'm holding out hope things will start clicking like they did last year, but not digging what I'm seeing at all. The hitting is completely gone. Trotz said in pregame they lost their identity and that's for sure. They are trying to all play like Barzal when none of them are close to the talent Barzal has. They need to go back to grinding and hitting and stop with the behind the back no look flash they keep forcing.

MDC will get there. To say he has a terrible release is just not honest. He's literally 0/1 in chances to get his shot off, it's too small of a sample size. His shot will end up being miles better than Barzal. Brassard is a floater with bad hockey IQ. I don't know how he did well in prior seasons. To me, he's no better than Tanner Fritz honestly.
The Isles were 3-3 after 6 last season and that was with 4 of the 6 on the road. They need to win two straight this weekend just to get to that mark with 5 of 6 at home. Quite a difference in the starts to the two seasons.

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
It’s not just his skating, looks like everything he does is slow.
Don’t want to pick on just MDC, this roster looks like Lou is trying to rebuild the 1996 Devils.
Need a serious upgrade in speed and skill.
Since Lee, Nelson, Eberle and Barzal aren’t going anywhere, and Tito looks like he got into the weight room over the summer that leaves
Bailey, Brassard, MDC, the 4th line and Leo.
Need to swap out some of these parts for upgraded models.
On another note, Lee should be with Nelson not Barzal. Lee’s game is deflections and rebounds, Nelson is a shooter, can create that better for Lee.
Totally agree with Lee playing on Nelson's line. Barzal and Lee's game are not made for each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->