U20: 4-Nations Tournament, Hodonin, CZE, 9-11 November

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Russia beats Sweden 5-1, this Sweden team was... Oof... Holmberg with the sole goal assisted by Bemström, & Elvenes.

E: Just realized Sweden had 2 goals total this tournament; the other one was a solo rush by Fagemo against the Czechs.

Last edited:

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I really hope this generation of players has some game breakers for us, who are they though? Because all the best moved to CHL and are no longer on the radar (practically) for Bragin.

I would really hate, if he starts nagging, that he doesn't have enough offensive talent, while taking VHL bangers and KHL benchers on the team. Special plays are what wins and loses you games, and if your team is full of players who are no way near special teams in their current roles you are in trouble.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Russia beats Sweden 5-1, this Sweden team was... Oof... Holmberg with the sole goal assisted by Bemström, & Elvenes.

E: Just realized Sweden had 2 goals total this tournament; the other one was a solo rush by Fagemo against the Czechs.

Kinda worried about WJC now after this showing..but we'll see.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Tough to win when you can't score on a 5 minute PP that includes a 6-on-3 :facepalm:
(I mean Finland was better but we didn't have to make it quite that easy on them... Ah well.)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Finland 3 wins.

Heponiemi 2g+3a=5pts (1.66 ppg)
Nyman 3g+1a=4pts (1.33 ppg)
Kakko 1g+3a=4pts (1.33 ppg)
Virtanen 3g+0a=3pts (1.00 ppg)
Engberg 1g+2a=3pts (1.00 ppg)
Moilanen 1g+2a=3pts (1.00 ppg)
Nordgren 1g+2a=3pts (1.00 ppg)
Ylönen 0g+3a=3pts (1.00 ppg)
Klementti 2g+0a=2pts (0.66 ppg)
Puustinen 1g+1a=2pts (0.66 ppg)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I really hope this generation of players has some game breakers for us, who are they though? Because all the best moved to CHL and are no longer on the radar (practically) for Bragin.

I would really hate, if he starts nagging, that he doesn't have enough offensive talent, while taking VHL bangers and KHL benchers on the team. Special plays are what wins and loses you games, and if your team is full of players who are no way near special teams in their current roles you are in trouble.
Again, who are those special superstars of the future from the CHL? Guys from the VHL and KHL are head and shouldets above them for this age group. Your dismissive comment about them is really misplaced.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Yesterday, I drove to Hodonin, in the Czech Republic. Day 3 of the U20 Four Nations had the Sweden-Russia game at 3 PM and that was the game I wanted to see. Kravtsov and Lundkvist in the same game. Well, it was a great experience. It started when I walked up to the arena and the Russian team was warming up outside. Kravtsov recognized me (From the game in Helsinki 2 months ago) and walked up to shake my hand. My day was already off to a great start.

When I entered the stadium, I bring out my banner and immediately, an older man approaches me to ask me the story behind the banner. We started talking and he wanted a photo with his family and the banner. It turns it it was Nils Lundkvist's grandfather. After the photos were taken, he asked if he can have the banner after the game, which I was happy to give to him.

After the 2nd period, he walked over to my seat to introduce me to a man I recognized immediately. It was Gordie Clark, who was in Hodonin to talk to Kravtsov and Lundkvist after the game. We spoke about the draft, telling him I was there as well, and he asked about my Kravtsov jersey. I showed him the video from Helsinki and he was extremely nice. He told me "Soon you won't be the only one going crazy over Kravtsov" haha.

After the game, Nils' grandfather told me to wait outside because he was making sure Nils would take the time to meet me, and he did! Both Nils and Vitali signed the warm-up puck I got before the game. All in all, a great experience again.

Stat Boy on Twitter

Stat Boy on Twitter

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Again, who are those special superstars of the future from the CHL? Guys from the VHL and KHL are head and shouldets above them for this age group. Your dismissive comment about them is really misplaced.
You still fail to admit the obvious. They are not head and shoulders above in anything - other than being trained not to make mistakes. Putting a young player in this framework of mind will have you quality VHL bottom 6 kind of guy.
Now, as to CHL guys looking weaker - the rest of the guys practiced together before the tournament and during the tournament, when these guys come in for a few days and leave, no chemistry, brand new partners etc.
I agree with the fact that CHL is not the best place for a developing European player, but one has to be just a little bit adequate, unbiased, and fair in the assessment of situation.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

It is really hard to focus on developing guys who are playing on a different continent 7,000 miles away. I don't see another choice, it is necessary to focus on available players from KHL, VHL and MHL.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
It is really hard to focus on developing guys who are playing on a different continent 7,000 miles away. I don't see another choice, it is necessary to focus on available players from KHL, VHL and MHL.
In today's world it's not hard at all. One can watch any and every game online, establish communication over skype, what's up, face time u name it. It is clearly a policy, to only take the ones, who are game-breakers.
What those dumb-heads do NOT understand - is this won't stop 99% of players from leaving, fighting corruption, introducing parity, having an adequate way of progression for ALL talented young players might.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In today's world it's not hard at all. One can watch any and every game online, establish communication over skype, what's up, face time u name it. It is clearly a policy, to only take the ones, who are game-breakers.
What those dumb-heads do NOT understand - is this won't stop 99% of players from leaving, fighting corruption, introducing parity, having an adequate way of progression for ALL talented young players might.

You honestly think watching a game online is the same as actually being at the game when you can focus on players? When you watch a broadcast, you can never fully focus on a player.

Reactions: Atas2000

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
You honestly think watching a game online is the same as actually being at the game when you can focus on players? When you watch a broadcast, you can never fully focus on a player.
no, of course not, but it's a lot better than nothing. in addition, there are companies who provide these type of services, dating at least 5-6 years already (if not more) For $, they would send an operator, provide statistical analysis, anything.

Do you honestly think Bragin watches all these players playing at home in person all the time?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010

How realistic is it to expect Russian hockey coaches to offer CHL kids the opportunity to get away from Russian hockey, all of its problems and inequities, and at the same time, enjoy all the best benefits that Russian hockey offers? Not realistic at all, in my view! The CHL helps feed kids into the NHL, and away from the KHL and other domestic leagues. What obligation do they have to help the NHL to overshadow Russian hockey and take all of its assets away? None at all, I think.

They can't and shouldn't interfere with kids who want to go to the NHL, but they have no obligation to offer a helping hand toward diminishing the quality of Russian hockey. Bragin is an employee of the RHF, and his first loyalty and priority is to advance the goals of the RHF, and building up the NHL is not one of the RHF's goals.

This subject is only relevant to selecting players for the national team. The position of the RHF is not to boycott players who have gone to the CHL, but limit participation to only those players who show clear superiority over the Russian-based competitors. Some years, that might mean no CHL'ers at all, depending on how CHL'ers play in various trial competitions. In the current CIBC Canada-Russia series, Russia is winning with predominantly Russian-based players. I don't know for sure that any CHL'ers will make the WJC team this year. From what I could see, the best performance so far, with one game left, was Zagorodniy in Game 5. But I doubt that he will make the team. Everyone else from the CHL was meh!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
What about Samorukov and Alexeev.

There is no doubt that Samorukov has a lot of talent, and he did make the team last year. But he didn't help the team last year - he was much more of a liability - and he didn't show much against the OHL this year. Maybe he will be "grandfathered" in to the lineup. Alekseyev is less talented, and in my eyes, didn't stand out at all.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There is no doubt that Samorukov has a lot of talent, and he did make the team last year. But he didn't help the team last year - he was much more of a liability - and he didn't show much against the OHL this year. Maybe he will be "grandfathered" in to the lineup. Alekseyev is less talented, and in my eyes, didn't stand out at all.
Alexeyev has been the best D-man in this series.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Romanov, just to name one, has been better.
LOL Romanov was quite a tier below, produced some major f... ups and wasn't nearly as mature in his game. Now try to find my bias while I defend a CHL defenceman vs a KHL one.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
LOL Romanov was quite a tier below, produced some major f... ups and wasn't nearly as mature in his game. Now try to find my bias while I defend a CHL defenceman vs a KHL one.

I should wish I could record this moment, Atas defending a CHL Russian? Who would have dreamed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->