4 more cuts

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yikes. I guess that's about it for Paul.

That's the cruel part about pro sports. You only get a limited opportunity to show what you can do....you can't afford to have a bad camp or even a bad game. Need to focus and try to show something every time you step on the ice. Every shift is an audition, you can't waste 'em.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yikes. I guess that's about it for Paul.

That's the cruel part about pro sports. You only get a limited opportunity to show what you can do....you can't afford to have a bad camp or even a bad game. Need to focus and try to show something every time you step on the ice. Every shift is an audition, you can't waste 'em.

I mean this was his 6th training camp with the organization. He has played 50+ games over three different stints. I don’t think it’s accurate to say limited opportunity. The opportunity has always been there he has just failed to grab it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think it's over for Paul just yet, remember this season is about showcasing the vets they want to move by the deadline & making roster room. We'll have to see how the season is going leading up to & after the trade deadline before stating anything about these guys.

There is always hope until you get traded, you just never know what is going on until it happens. What if Belleville wins the Calder Cup & Paul is a big part of the playoff run & cup win? Lots of things can happen this yr in Ottawa & Belleville that could change things. It ain't over until it's over.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't think it's over for Paul just yet, remember this season is about showcasing the vets they want to move by the deadline & making roster room. We'll have to see how the season is going leading up to & after the trade deadline before stating anything about these guys.

There is always hope until you get traded, you just never know what is going on until it happens. What if Belleville wins the Calder Cup & Paul is a big part of the playoff run & cup win? Lots of things can happen this yr in Ottawa & Belleville that could change things. It ain't over until it's over.

I mean sure there's gonna be an opportunity to get another shot in the NHL as spots open up throughout the season, though he will be competing against others. The question is what's going to make the next time different. How is Nick Paul going to establish himself as an NHLer. Maybe somewhere down the road he fills a hole and plays a season in the NHL but he isnt apart of the future.

Reactions: Alex1234

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Nick Paul will be in Europe a year from now if his agent is smart. He can probably get a few more years in playing over there, making reasonably nice coin. Heck, we'll probably see him in the Spengler Cup at some point and we'll say, "Hey, that's Nick Paul!" :DD

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nick Paul will be in Europe a year from now if his agent is smart. He can probably get a few more years in playing over there, making reasonably nice coin. Heck, we'll probably see him in the Spengler Cup at some point and we'll say, "Hey, that's Nick Paul!" :DD
More likely an a minor leaguer in the AHL than going to Europe IMO.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
More likely an a minor leaguer in the AHL than going to Europe IMO.

Not if his agent is smart. Better guaranteed pay over there. Better lifestyle over there. And you only play like 40-50 games with less crazy travel.

If he isn't going to be an NHL player (and unfortunately that seems likely), then that is definitely his best option. I think he'd flourish somewhere like the Swiss league.

Some guys just hang on in the AHL because they are still feeling the NHL dream. Can't blame them for that.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Well Troy Mann seems to like him so he will get a chance to develop in Belleville and Mann will likely give him an expanded role. Paul does seem to have confidence issues and does seem a bit overwhelmed with the speed of the game when playing against NHL players. Last year he looked pretty good when he got called up later in the season. Boucher didn't give him much of a chance so even when he played well or outplayed Pajarvi and Pyatt he still wouldn't get much of a chance.

The big thing for Paul moving forward is that he needs to understand what kind of role he needs to play to be an NHL player and then he needs to fully commit to that role. He has the size and speed and overall athleticism to be impactful so he kind of reminds me of Evgeni Artyuhin in that sense. He most likely won't be a skilled player at the NHL level or at least his best chances of making it are not by trying to earn roles in the top six. Therefore he needs to work on his defensive play and physicality. He probably needs to goon it up a bit. Looking at Sabourin basically making the team it seems pretty clear that if Paul decided to just be a nasty SOB and run everybody and get in their faces that he could have possibly made the team. Physically he has the ability to be an imposing figure and to serve a role as a big body with speed that adds some nastiness to the lineup. If he can focus on that and getting really good at killing penalties and playing defense he will get a role in the NHL and possibly even with Ottawa.

For the most part Paul seems like a guy that is unsure of himself. he is unsure of whether he is a skill guy or a tough guy. He has elements of both in his game but they are not well integrated and they seem to compete with each other. So he kind of cycles in between playing a skill game and then a toughness game. Ir is usually the type of spot where many depth players struggle. Zack Smith was kind of like that where he was a lot more effective as a pest and being physical but he wanted to be a skill guy. :Paul just needs to fully commit to being a mean SOB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad