4 hour meeting is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
avalanche_country said:
I am done watching PRO hockey if this whole season is cancelled ....I care less and less everyday

Those of us who live in areas with access to college hockey games are lucky. I just wish BU had done a little better against DU and CC.

Crows*

FLYLine4LIFE said:
NOTHING IS CONFIMED. NO PRESS CONFERNCE, NO PROGRESS, NO DATES SET, NO BETTMAN LEAVING BACK TO NY. NOTHING. There is ZERO confirmed reports on ANYTHING. We will find out more as it slips out..but all sites/news stations are REPORTING different things because they didnt get any info. SO CALM DOWN EVERYONE and stop BELIVING EVERY LITTLE THING U HEAR.
Actually the press conference is confirmed.

THe score has a camera in the room alrady waiting for it to start buddy.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Crows said:
Actually the press conference is confirmed.

THe score has a camera in the room alrady waiting for it to start buddy.

well, the other reports are not confirmed. He is right about that. We'll find out everything we can in about half an hour.

Crows*

Boy when Bettman or goodnow hold a news conference in Canada it's like bush holding a news conference to announce the war in Iraq in the US.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
Crows said:
Boy when Bettman or goodnow hold a news conference in Canada it's like bush holding a news conference to announce the war in Iraq in the US.

so nearly half of canadians hate bettman and goodenow? :lol

DanKramerHabs

HFBoards Partner
Crows said:

Yup. SPECULATION has it that that's why the next meeting will be in New York. Everyone in Canada will be excited if there's a season no matter where it is announced. Bettman knows, though, that such excitement is not automatic in the US, and so perhaps working on things south of the border will help that front out.

vopatsrash

Dec 9, 2004
crossxcheck said:
don't forget the world series of poker!

I think they might have a new camera angle on the Pistons-Pacers riot, as well.

Oh, and an exclusive roundtable with Deion Sanders, Keyshawn Johnson, Bill Parcells, and Brett Favre to discuss what they've done since their last exclusive interviews last week.

crossxcheck

Nov 17, 2003
Nashvegas
vopatsrash said:
I think they might have a new camera angle on the Pistons-Pacers riot, as well.

Oh, and an exclusive roundtable with Deion Sanders, Keyshawn Johnson, Bill Parcells, and Brett Favre to discuss what they've done since their last exclusive interviews last week.

oh, crap, you're right. I love how espn has become the mtv of the sports world. they have bit of actual live sports programming and the rest is sports news and somewhat sports related shows.

Go Flames Go*

Bettman: There was nothing in the proposal that gaurnteed cost certantity, no salary cap, we will look at it come up with 6 weird proposals which have cap implications and talk to the PA next week.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
88Nords19 said:
Personally I highly doubt that even if the proposal was ok they'd say that the season will start...this will be a long drawn out process of negotiations...nothing will be agreed on yet. If the proposal was decent it's quite possible they'll just say they're going to review it and talk later. Or they'll come out with your #2.

Thank you for the REALITY CHECK.

Business like this does not work in nanoseconds.

Of course the NHL has to have time to review and respond in detail any proposal put forth today, which is why a rush back to the table tomorrow makes little sense.

Likewise, anyone who thought that a deal would be reached today - Presto! - after months of little-to-no negotiations is dreaming.

Much as we'd like a conclusion - one way or the other - to this situation, this is Big Business. And the dispersement of hundreds of millions of dollars is not agreed upon in the same timeframe as a Fantasy Hockey League Draft. :joker:

I'd personally take news reports of "little progress" with a grain of salt. Neither "little" or "significant" progress mean anything. Only thing that matters is when a deal is struck. The degree of progress in negotiations can change (and change again) in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This things been simmering for like 4 years. I'm not sure why everyone was prepared to rejoice today. The players ahve been working on this proposal for awhile. The owners formally received it today. Hopefully Betman didn't reject it outright ... and I'm guessing he didn't if players were sneaking out other exits to avoid comment.

I think we might be cautiously optimistic after the news conference........

If not %-$-^-#-^-# you NHL!!! I'm going to diss you to everyone in Canada just like my hockeysfuture buddy out in Denver!!! :D :D :lol :yo:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
nomorekids said:
i don't think they had the 45 day rolling cancellation, though. the earliest the season COULD start now...is 45 days away. If the season looks like it couldn't start until February, then I'm going to figure it's cancelled once and for all.
That's just NHL rhetoric to put pressure on the NHLPA. No one books events of the magnitude that require an 18,000 seat arena in a 45 day window unless there's some kind of emergency. I'd be surprised if any new bookings were added. Even if there's a few, the NHL can change their schedule, which they'll have to do anyways. They can start play in 7-10 days if they have agree on a CBA.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I know that its ESPN news which almost guarantees that the report is erronios and it was very short (also typical) Michael Kim said that Bob Mckenzie said that there was little progress made and no talks planned. McKenzie is usually reputable what is really going on here? does anyone really know?

jacketracket*

Fire Sather said:
Then your NOT a hockey fan, and you never were. Anyone who stops being a fan of a sport because of a work stoppage is a joke. Stick by the sport you love. I guess you dont. :shakehead
Rather presumptuous, on your part.

avalanche_country

Mar 3, 2004
Denver, CO
and in ESPN's defense , they shows sports and programming people want to watch ....poker is really popular right now and hockey has not been in what ??? EVER ? even college sports gets more people to watch than NHL. Hate it all you want but it is reality in the states.

Why show a hockey game when a college bball game will get more advertisement and viewers than any NHL game ?

I wish hockey was the most popular sport in the US but it is not ... deal with it ....bowling fans do

copperandblue

Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
I think the very best that could be expected from today is some sort of hint that the frame work is acceptable to start negotiating with.

If the framework is unacceptable then the stale mate will continue (perhaps a counter offer of the NHL's unacceptable framework to just further the frustration would be forth coming).

If the frame work is considered workable then at best this is simply a starting point and the two sides will likely go through a number of counter offers and ammendments in an effort to squeeze the most out of each other. If this is the case it will likely still be weeks before anything is really hashed out.

At this point, lets just hope they agree to keep talking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->