4 games in, wings D-man have a total of 4 PTS, 0 goals

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I feel like, when healthy, we have a team deep enough to be a "one line" carousel type team.

Some nights it will be the Zetterberg line, some nights it will be the 43-13-21 line (assuming Babcock goes back to that), and some nights our bottom 6 (especially if Jurco stays with the team, though that seems unlikely) will chip in some goals, with the odd helping from guys like Kronwall and DeKeyser on special teams. And maybe even Smith if he gets more PP IT moving forward.

Babcock usually builds his line up specifically for depth/ balance, so I'm not worried yet.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
And only 6 players on the team have scored a goal. Secondary scoring is essentially non-existent. Will this be an area of concern down the road?

No. The Kid line is playing well and will eventually hit the scoreboard. And Datsyuk hasn't even played yet. Defense scoring likely won't be amazing, especially if we only use 2 defencemen on the PP, but our depth scoring will be fine.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Not only do I expect our defense scoring to be poor, but a lot of it incidental as well. It's too bad because I think we could be an offensive powerhouse if we added a guy with a great outlet pass to spring our speed even further. Not only do we lack the outlet passing component, but the collective shooting capacity of our defense is even worse.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I don't see what the issue is with this. If the power play gets going, and it eventually will, the defense will start scoring more points.

It's 4 games into the season. Not every piece is going to be working as intended.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Only 2/6 Defenseman are playing on the PP, and that's where a lot of points come from.

So it doesn't paint an accurate picture. At ES I feel like they are actually moving the puck better than I expected.

That said, let's ditch this stupid PP scheme.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Only 2/6 Defenseman are playing on the PP, and that's where a lot of points come from.

So it doesn't paint an accurate picture. At ES I feel like they are actually moving the puck better than I expected.

That said, let's ditch this stupid PP scheme.

Ditch this PP and revert to the last year? once they get setup in the zone, I think they have been miles better than previous years and even if they do not score, carries some good offensive vibe to 5v5

IMO, it's obvious the problem is the zone entry. actually I think most will agree on this one.

Wings really likes to carry in the puck at all cost.. and I think that's part of the problem. too many guys standing at blue line and can't beat the PK to the puck when it's dumped in.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They also are a part of a perfect PK unit and allowing less than two goals a game which is their primary job.

The PP would certainly help numbers, as would some of the free points Datsyuk generates with his high positioning and interaction with the D-man.

Still Babcock's D-man outside of the HHOF don't generate a whole lot of points. Kronwall being one of the only notable exceptions. It isn't the style of his system. I am impressed with how they have covered their own end much better this season, that is the most invisible Kessel has been in a game I have watched him in a long time.

They are doing their primary job and that is what I care about most. Granato deserves some praise for this as well, seems Pittsburgh's gaudy pk numbers might have followed him to Detroit and maybe he is the guy that got Babcock's ear on finally switching some of the pairings.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The points will come for Kronwall like they always do. The way Smith is playing hes bounds to get points coming his way, he coulda had a couple tonight. Dekeyser will put some up on the PP as well.

They havent been scoring but theyre playing great so far this year and the PK is perfect so far

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
As much as I love the Kid Line, I think they are ideally suited as our 3rd line. Once you insert Datsyuk back in the lineup, that line shifts down and our offense is a lot more solid. Of course that depends on who Datsyuk lines up with. I'm personally hoping for:

Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Weiss-Dats-Helm
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Abby

I don't think secondary scoring is much of an issue with that forward group. I doubt we see that though. For the "Weiss is a hack" crowd, maybe something like this:

Nyquist-Z-Abby
Helm-D-Mule
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Andy

That group may have a little more trouble, but who know's? As for the defense, I think it'll come for Kronner and Smitty (even moreso if he ever sees PP time). If we start expecting goals from Ericsson, DK or our bottom pair, we're in trouble.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
As much as I love the Kid Line, I think they are ideally suited as our 3rd line. Once you insert Datsyuk back in the lineup, that line shifts down and our offense is a lot more solid. Of course that depends on who Datsyuk lines up with. I'm personally hoping for:

Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Weiss-Dats-Helm
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Abby

I don't think secondary scoring is much of an issue with that forward group. I doubt we see that though. For the "Weiss is a hack" crowd, maybe something like this:

Nyquist-Z-Abby
Helm-D-Mule
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Andy

That group may have a little more trouble, but who know's? As for the defense, I think it'll come for Kronner and Smitty (even moreso if he ever sees PP time). If we start expecting goals from Ericsson, DK or our bottom pair, we're in trouble.

I agree just in the headaches they would cause matchup wise. :handclap:

Roy S

May 16, 2009
The Wings are suppressing shots and goals against but they also aren't getting many shots on net or goals. That's the biggest trend I see so far.

They really need Datsyuk back and I can see why Babcock thought they needed another top 6 forward. Maybe Mantha will provide that spark. They will need another high end forward and quality defenseman who can take the lead on the second pairing so Kronwall-Smith can be the top pairing at ES.

Glendening looks much better. He's owned on the faceoff dot and is taking on really hard defensive assignments.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI

Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Weiss-Dats-Helm
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Abby

Nyquist-Z-Abby
Helm-D-Mule
The Kid Line
Miller-Luke-Andy

See, I'd be a fan of breaking up the kid line, or at least one part of it and go...

Nyquist-Z-Franzen
Tatar-Datsyuk-Abdelkader
Helm-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Luke-Andy

You lose a bit of a scoring factor on the third line with Helm there, but you add a defensive/forechecking presence and some more speed with Helm. I think Helm is better at every aspect of the game than Tatar outside of having a scoring touch, which he is getting a bit more of or at least was last season. Put Tatar with Datsyuk and Abby, as we all know Datsyuk has always enjoyed playing with a guy who can clear space in front, Abby is our best player in front. Tatar gives Datsyuk a guy who can finish, can play off his skill and can also score some mucky goals. It also eliminates the issue of Tatar being the primary guy entering the zone which he struggles with, at least in my opinion. I never really loved the idea of playing Helm with Datsyuk, as I just feel like he doesn't have the finishing touch to play with Pav and doesn't bring a solid net front presence.

Finally, I think the Z, Mule, Gus line has been very good this season, so far, and can see them building good Swedish Chemistry together. Put them out with Kronwall and Ericsson and we have our Swedish five.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The Wings are suppressing shots and goals against but they also aren't getting many shots on net or goals. That's the biggest trend I see so far.

They really need Datsyuk back and I can see why Babcock thought they needed another top 6 forward. Maybe Mantha will provide that spark. They will need another high end forward and quality defenseman who can take the lead on the second pairing so Kronwall-Smith can be the top pairing at ES.

Glendening looks much better. He's owned on the faceoff dot and is taking on really hard defensive assignments.

I agree with Babs assessment, it would have been nice to have been able to get Alfie back, would have solved a few issues with this lineup.

Or it would be nice if we could somehow figure out how to get Weiss going again.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Z-D-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader
Miller-Anderrson- Nestrasil

I'm not sure if they'll think Jurco is so much substantially better than every other forward that it will prevent him from going down to GR momentarily until another injury arises. He hasn't done much yet. Cleary or Weiss might get opportunities, as well.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
FYI, I was able to deal Quincey and 2nd round pick for Tyler Myers in NHL 15 GM mode.:) :sarcasm:

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
The points will come for Kronwall like they always do. The way Smith is playing hes bounds to get points coming his way, he coulda had a couple tonight. Dekeyser will put some up on the PP as well.

They havent been scoring but theyre playing great so far this year and the PK is perfect so far

^this AS long as they can keep the puck out I really don't care how many goals/points they have.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Z-D-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader
Miller-Anderrson- Nestrasil

I'm not sure if they'll think Jurco is so much substantially better than every other forward that it will prevent him from going down to GR momentarily until another injury arises. He hasn't done much yet. Cleary or Weiss might get opportunities, as well.

I'm not a fan of those. I don't think we should put both Datsyuk/Zetterberg and Nyquist/Tatar together. We can get away with one of the duos together, but having them both together impacts the depth too much. You're looking at only 2 lines that'll produce offensively there and that's not good enough with our depth. And I like the 3rd line you have; but they're not going to score consistently. Plus that 4th line isn't pretty and I'd rather spread the even strength minutes out if we can.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
And only 6 players on the team have scored a goal. Secondary scoring is essentially non-existent. Will this be an area of concern down the road?

OP I don't think so. There is huge talks about our D and possible upgrades, but watching the team as a whole there is a familiarity between the players now that wins games. Kronwall, Kindl, Ercisson Smith have been developed in the RW system, and natural chemistry between them and other DRW forwards is evident, they trust each other.

A game played like the 4th of the season against TML golly there is not a doubt in the world that if this team competes as hard and for each other they could make some serious noise.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

1. The defense is awful. I said it after the Boston game and I don't think we'll be able to get out of our own zone against the top 10 or so teams in the league. Fortunately we looked pretty good against the Leafs last night because they're the Leafs.

2. We haven't had Datsyuk in the lineup yet. Add him and you probably have three good lines, not just Z's line and Sheahan's line.

3. This team has one good offensive d-man in Smith. Kronwall hasn't looked good, sorry if this hurts people's feelings. Players improve (Nyquist) and regress and right now Kronwall does not look like a top 30 d-man in the league. We need offensive d-men who can headman the puck and contribute in the offensive zone. DeKeyser can't, Ericsson can't, Kindl sure as hell can't, Quincey never has and never will.

This team can be pretty good if Holland will do his job and first call up our top offensive d-man prospects to see if they can contribute and if that doesn't work he can pursue trades as we get closer to the trade deadline. If we stick with the status quo - Holland's favorite activity by far - this team is going to have lots of games like that last Boston game where they cannot get out of their own end of the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad