GDT: #4:FLYERS 7 at Senators 4, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, 7:30 p.m. ET

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
OT with Lehtera on the ice. Because, you know, best chance of providing offense comes from JORI!

giphy.gif

Well, based on last night's game, the 4th line is actually the best line on the team right now, so MAYBE HE'S ON TO SOMETHING.

Reactions: DaphneLion

YZ77

Aug 13, 2010
The Sens are a trainwrek and by all appearances we should have no problem beating them, so this is probably gonna go to overtime.
If you've watched their games this season as I have, you would know that the Senators are in no way a train wreck. Train wreck would better describe the Flyers' D the last 2 games. Ottawa were competing in the Boston game the whole way...even though the score didn't seem to reflect it...check out the advanced stats. And they kicked Toronto's ass. They should've beaten the Hawks as well.

I wish Myers was called up and playing tonight. I'd have probably flown to Ottawa just to see him play...notwithstanding that Ottawa is my #1 team and where I grew up. Know a few that would've made that trip, lol.

Tonight, look at what Guy Boucher does with a 20-year old rookie named Maxime Lajoie...he gives him a chance to play and to play his game. Too bad you guys are stuck with fooking Hakshit and to a lesser extent Hexnuts...and AMac, Folin and co. on D. Imagine if Hakshit let guys like Sanheim and Myers do what they can do, knowing that they would probably make mistakes. That's how you learn, even if it's on the biggest stage. Better than playing AMac night in and night out, irrespective the one-way $5M/per contract.

I do hope the Flyers do well (except against Ottawa)...nobody else worth cheering for in the Metro Division (see fooking Rags and abhorred (including royally hated by me) Pens)...as long as you have Myers in the fold and good ol' Ottawa-area lad Giroux on your team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s not so much that as it’s if you spend as much time in your own zone as some of our defenders do it doesn’t really matter. The other team is going to get their chances regardless of how physical you are. That’s where a lot of the physical defensemen types get themselves in trouble like Hagg for example.

Obviously moving the puck well can help combat this but so can being effective at both blue lines in denying entries/exits.

You spend a lot of time in your own zone primarily because you can't win board battles, no one can clear a puck before taking it away from the offense.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Tonight, look at what Guy Boucher does with a 20-year old rookie named Maxime Lajoie...he gives him a chance to play and to play his game. Too bad you guys are stuck with fooking Hak**** and to a lesser extent Hexnuts...and AMac, Folin and co. on D. Imagine if Hak**** let guys like Sanheim and Myers do what they can do, knowing that they would probably make mistakes. That's how you learn, even if it's on the biggest stage. Better than playing AMac night in and night out, irrespective the one-way $5M/per contract.

Acutally Lajoie turns 21 in two weeks, spent last year in the AHL.
Though this may be why he made it to the NHL so quickly:
"His habitually conservative style of play in his own end lets him make quick, high percentage decisions with and without the puck."

And of course, with zero expectations the next few years, Boucher can play kids without fear, since they're expected to lose in any case.

Maybe we can trade Sanheim for Lajoie?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
not true. we have been winning the puck back and unable to get it too much.

Against the Sharks? No way, we were destroyed along the boards.

Though note the Sharks shot MORE from the point than the Flyers, the difference?
Sharks consistently had at least one guy in front of the net.
The problem isn't low/high, it's the failure of forwards to crash the net and fight for position.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You spend a lot of time in your own zone primarily because you can't win board battles, no one can clear a puck before taking it away from the offense.

One could use "spending time in your own end" as a euphemism for ******bation, if one were so inclined. For example:

"Jeff probably sits at home spending time in his own end as he watches old game tape of Kristopher LeVandevelde,"

Reactions: Stizzle and Magua

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I shouldn’t be, because at this point Pickard hasn’t been able to cut it with more than one team, but I’m excited to see Pickard. Helps that I’m an Avs fan as well.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

YZ77

Aug 13, 2010
Acutally Lajoie turns 21 in two weeks, spent last year in the AHL.
Though this may be why he made it to the NHL so quickly:
"His habitually conservative style of play in his own end lets him make quick, high percentage decisions with and without the puck."

And of course, with zero expectations the next few years, Boucher can play kids without fear, since they're expected to lose in any case.

Maybe we can trade Sanheim for Lajoie?
Not sure you'd want to make that trade...but maybe. Both are LD. Lajoie had a worse 1st season in the AHL than Myers (and Sanheim) did. He's just been given a longer leash...an opportunity to play his game.

Ottawa is playing young kids because they want to grow their young nucleus together (FWIW), notwithstanding their options being thin...though they too have players standing in the way of younger and arguably better players (kids) in the AHL (Chlapik, Jaros, etc.).

It's a slightly different philosophy it seems in Ottawa vs. Philly re. player development...and arguments can be made for and against both management philosophies. I'm just not a fan of the conservative approach of Haks**t. Based on pre-season I'd have started Vorobyev 2C and NP 3C (who care if he was 2nd overall)...and several D waived. How much worse would it be to have Friedman and Myers with the big club vs. any (and all) of AMac, Folin, and slightly-lesser extent Gudas and Hagg? That said, I appreciate the objective comments you've offered in threads re. their readiness.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I look at it this way, we KNOW what we have in Elliott, at least we can dream what we might have in Pickard.

YZ77

Aug 13, 2010
Not sure you'd want to make that trade...but maybe. Both are LD. Lajoie had a worse 1st season in the AHL than Myers (and Sanheim) did. He's just been given a longer leash...an opportunity to play his game.

Ottawa is playing young kids because they want to grow their young nucleus together (FWIW), notwithstanding their options being thin...though they too have players standing in the way of younger and arguably better players (kids) in the AHL (Chlapik, Jaros, etc.).

It's a slightly different philosophy it seems in Ottawa vs. Philly re. player development...and arguments can be made for and against both management philosophies. I'm just not a fan of the conservative approach of Haks**t. Based on pre-season I'd have started Vorobyev 2C and NP 3C (who care if he was 2nd overall)...and several D waived. How much worse would it be to have Friedman and Myers with the big club vs. any (and all) of AMac, Folin, and slightly-lesser extent Gudas and Hagg? That said, I appreciate the objective comments you've offered in threads re. their readiness.
Oh, and Jakub says hi! LMFAO

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad