GDT: #4:FLYERS 7 at Senators 4, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, 7:30 p.m. ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think it's more about talent, lack of size and speed.

That's starting to change, Vorobyev brings size (but it takes a couple years for kids to fill out and learn how to use it), but most of the speed is in the pipeline, as is much of the size.
Laughton and Raffl on the 4th line show the value of speed and forechecking down the lineup.
It would certainly have helped if Morin and Stolarz didn't blow out knees.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
IMG_20181010_115138285.jpg

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
No one said they're slow skaters, but they're not fast skaters, and that matters when you're undersized.

Big guys like Couts can use their body to shield the puck (Jagr is the best all time at this, and he was slowwwww in his later years).
Patrick and Vorobyev will get better at this over time.

Smaller guys can't afford to be "caught" because they can be bumped off the puck, which is why the best small guys around the league are ultra-quick, not just fast, waterbugs who are hard to catch. If you're not a waterbug you have to have high hockey IQs, be great passers and get rid of the puck without screwing up when challenged. Our smaller forwards are not waterbugs, Ghost was as a rookie, not so much since his injury.

You don't need 12 speedsters, the same way you don't need 12 goons, but you want enough speed to make teams respect you.
Frost will help, O'Brien will help.
Guys with size and speed like Myers and Ratcliffe (when he fills out) will help.

Pretty sure there were posts that said "The Flyers are Slow"

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Weise over Weal I have no problem with, Weal was terrible. Weise at least gives you a big body, put him at 4RW, move Laughton to 3LW.

Splitting Provorov - Ghost, not with these other D-men, but next year it's a possibility if Morin is ready to start.
They're not a great combo against physical teams. I like the thought of Morin - Ghost, Provorov - Myers, Sanheim - Hagg/Friedman next year.

Folin over MacDonald is a possibility, they need to rest MacDonald for a week, give him another shot, and if he is still this bad, waive him down to LHV and call up Friedman. Myers needs to work on his game for a while, you don't bring him up to rotate, you bring him up to start.

I'd like to think that force-resting MacDonald is a legitimate possibility, but last night's game should prompt moves towards a more conservative lineup. This game should be an interesting barometer of where the FO thinks the team should be. How much do they trust the kids now with their feet held a bit to the fire? What performance metrics will be highlighted? What (if any) strategy to right the ship emerges?

Your future pairings is the best possible scenario and I have been upbeat about Morin – Gostisbehere since before Morin's injury problems.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Imagine thinking Giroux and Voracek are problems...

Imagine knowing so little about hockey that those are your actual thoughts.

All I can see are the responses but I know exactly what's being said. Pathetic and predictable.

But Giroux and Voracek are problems because they are not playing up to their high skill levels. I agree that G and V are not among the top 5 most important problems with the team but they have contributed to the team's poor last couple of games.

GagneHanson12

Aug 15, 2011
Can’t wait to see if Jeff goes nuclear on the lineup.

-Sanheim sitting for Folin (mortal lock)
-Konecny on the 4th line
-Lehtera switching with Misha
-Weisebiscuit getting his saddle ready
-Splitting the top pair
-VandeVelde getting delivered overnight from Austria

The blender possibilities are endless!
G-Raffl-Lindblom
Patrick-Couts-Weise
Vorobyov-Lehtera-Simmonds
Weal-Konecny-Laughton
Vora (for Twitter outburst)

Ghost-Mac
Gudas-Prov
Folin-Hagg

Elliot
Pickard

My body is ready.

Reactions: Stizzle

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
But Giroux and Voracek are problems because they are not playing up to their high skill levels. I agree that G and V are not among the top 5 most important problems with the team but they have contributed to the team's poor last couple of games.
The complaint goes way past a few games. It’s been repeated for years, even last year when Giroux DOMINATED.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Imagine thinking Giroux and Voracek are problems...

Imagine knowing so little about hockey that those are your actual thoughts.

All I can see are the responses but I know exactly what's being said. Pathetic and predictable.

Both at times have made lazy plays.

However more often than naught it’s both who have been the guys to put the team on their back and carry them to whatever sniff of success they have had.

Both have been forced to play in front of a sack of shit roster and bargain bin goaltending for years. I honestly feel bad for G sometimes, Sundin of our era.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Both at times have made lazy plays.

However more often than naught it’s both who have been the guys to put the team on their back and carry them to whatever sniff of success they have had.

Both have been forced to play in front of a sack of **** roster and bargain bin goaltending for years. I honestly feel bad for G sometimes, Sundin of our era.
Yeah, exactly.

Nobody is perfect, both make their share of mistakes, just like literally every other athlete in existence. But to pretend that these two are a problem is just flat out ridiculous.

I mean just look at where they stand in the Flyers record books...

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
One thing that may have contributed to the slow start is the trip to the West Coast, pretty much screwed up the normal routine just when the team is starting to jell, next few weeks they'll be able to practice on a more regular basis. Then JVR goes down.

I want to keep TK with Patrick and Lindblom, that's a long-term move.

Yeah, it might be that. It's either that or having the worst coach in the league.

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
Someone posted a heat chart in the GDT last night and it was honestly the biggest piece of eye opening evidence that our team toughness is sorely lacking at this point. Especially on the back end. While the NHL is radically changing to a skill/speed league, you are still required to have significant toughness in the areas around the net to prevent all of the deflections and tip ins that are a big part of today's game. Look at the Leafs highlights last night and tell me what Dallas didn't do to prevent 7 goals from being scored on them. They had zero ability to clear the crease because their defensemen on the whole are weak punching bags. The Flyers unfortunately are no exception and will be abused all year in front of Elliott. If players get body position, and their damn sticks aren't at the very least tied up, my oh my, Elliott is in for an extremely difficult season, any goalie would be.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Someone posted a heat chart in the GDT last night and it was honestly the biggest piece of eye opening evidence that our team toughness is sorely lacking at this point. Especially on the back end. While the NHL is radically changing to a skill/speed league, you are still required to have significant toughness in the areas around the net to prevent all of the deflections and tip ins that are a big part of today's game. Look at the Leafs highlights last night and tell me what Dallas didn't do to prevent 7 goals from being scored on them. They had zero ability to clear the crease because their defensemen on the whole are weak punching bags. The Flyers unfortunately are no exception and will be abused all year in front of Elliott. If players get body position, and their damn sticks aren't at the very least tied up, my oh my, Elliott is in for an extremely difficult season, any goalie would be.

20182019-20036-5v5.png

MacDonald was on the ice for 12 of San Jose’s 18 high danger area chances. :laugh:

Crescent Street

Saturday Nite Hockey
Sep 19, 2004
Long Island
I believe that is the grit and toughness that Elliott was talking about. There is zero of it. If you're the opposing team, who are you afraid of when you approach the net? Hagg? Pretty obvious the Sharks didn't even flinch.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I believe that is the grit and toughness that Elliott was talking about. There is zero of it. If you're the opposing team, who are you afraid of when you approach the net? Hagg? Pretty obvious the Sharks didn't even flinch.

It’s not so much that as it’s if you spend as much time in your own zone as some of our defenders do it doesn’t really matter. The other team is going to get their chances regardless of how physical you are. That’s where a lot of the physical defensemen types get themselves in trouble like Hagg for example.

Obviously moving the puck well can help combat this but so can being effective at both blue lines in denying entries/exits.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
G2uWIZp.jpg

zYpyzli.jpg

tenor.gif

THE HARDASS

“Dorion trades everyone. Melnyk just wants to line his pockets.”

gkfQVYs.gif

“I know just how to handle this.”

kZ2IrmT.gif

“I WANT THIS GUY DEAD! I WANT HIS FAMILY DEAD! I WANT HIS ORGANIZATION BURNED TO THE GROUND!”

LaxSgZx.gif

0DNkhgj.jpg

CrispGorgeousAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

THE DUMBASS

HuqBKJx.jpg

QDbnX3V.jpg

CrispGorgeousAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS (1-2-0) vs. OTTAWA SENATORS (1-1-1)
3PRa761.jpg
HgnUZjA.jpg

oIEvmIy.jpg

BROADCAST INFORMATION
TEAMS' WEBSITES
GAME PREVIEW, NOTES and STATISTICS
TEAMS' STATISTICS
Team GPRecordPts HomeAwayGFGAPP%PK%FO%Save%
Flyers31-2-020-1-01-1-091523.175.053.9.861
Senators 31-1-130-0-11-1-0111312.571.452.8.882
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

PHILADELPHIA FLYERS
images
Possible Lineup
Lines

28 Claude Giroux - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
23 Oskar Lindblom - 19 Nolan Patrick - 11 Travis Konecny
40 Jordan Weal - 24 Mikhail Vorobyev - 17 Wayne Simmonds
21 Scott Laughton - 15 Jori Lehterä - 12 Michael Raffl
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
8 Robert Hägg - 47 Andrew MacDonald
6 Travis Sanheim - 3 Radko Gudas
Goalies
37 Brian Ellliott (could start) - 33 Calvin Pickard

Power Plays
PP1: Giroux - Couturier - Simmonds - Gostisbehere - Voracek
PP2: Lindblom - Patrick - Konecny - Provorov - Vorobyev

Injuries and Scratches
26 Christian Folin (D) could be a healthy scratch.
38 Corban Knight (F) is on IR. He will be out three weeks (Sept. 29) with an upper body injury.
75 Pascal Laberge (F) is on IR. He had hip surgery announced Sept. 28. No timetable for his return was provided. He began the season on the Injured Non-Roster List.
34 Alex Lyon (G) is on IR. He has a possible groin pull and will be out four weeks from Sept. 20.
5 Sam Morin (D) is on IR. He had ACL surgery (right knee) from an injury in the AHL playoffs. He could return in February.
30 Michal Neuvirth (G) is on IR. He has a lower body injury which has been speculated as a groin pull (Sept. 22). No timetable for his return has been issued although he has practiced with the team since the injury occurred.
25 James van Riemsdyk is on IR. He is out 5-to-6 weeks with a lower body injury (Oct. 8)..
40 Jordan Weal (F) could be a healthy scratch.
22 Dale Weise (F) could be a healthy scratch.
MEDIA CONTACTS
Courier-Post of South Jersey

HockeyBuzz.com
NBC Sports Philadelphia
Web site -- Flyers
John Boruk's Twitter -- John Boruk (@johnborukNBCS) | Twitter
Philadelphia Daily News and Inquirer
Web site -- Philly.com Flyers
Sam Carchidi's Twitter -- Sam Carchidi (@BroadStBull) | Twitter

OTTAWA SENATORS
HgnUZjA.jpg

Possible Lineup
Lines
18 Ryan Dzingel - 15 Zack Smith - 61 Mark Stone
7 Fat Tkachuk - 95 Matt Duchene - 89 Mikkel Boedker
59 Alex Formenton - 71 Chris Tierney - 9 Bobby Ryan
56 Magnus Paajarvi - 36 Colin White - 10 Tom Pyatt
Pairings
72 Thomas Chabot - 2 Dylan DeMelo
74 Mark Borowiecki - 5 Cody Ceci
58 Maxime Lajoie - 6 Chris Wideman
Goalies
41 Craig Anderson - 1 Mike Condon

Media Contacts

Athletic, The

Web site -- The Athletic
Chris Stevenson's Twitter -- Chris Stevenson (@CJ_Stevenson) | Twitter
Web site -- The Ottawa Sun
Don Brennan's Twitter -- Don Brennan (@SunDoniB) | Twitter

Sportsnet

Web site -- Senators
Wayne Scanlan's Twitter -- Wayne Scanlan (@HockeyScanner) | Twitter

UPCOMING SCHEDULE
DateOpponentTime (ET)Television (subject to change)
October 13vs. Vegas1:00 pm SN, NBCSP, ATTSN-RM
October 16vs. Florida7:00 pm NBCSP, FS-F
October 18at Columbus7:00 pmFS-O, NBCSP
October 20vs. New Jersey1:00 pmSN, NBCSP, MSG+
October 22vs. Colorado7:00 pmSN, TVAS, NBCSP, ALT
October 25at Boston7:00 pmSN360, TVAS, NESN, NBCSP
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
lhkfhv7.gif

GAME DAY THREAD MUSIC

"Bicycle Song" by Orbit

Come kick our asses, just please keep Gritty away. Please!

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Come kick our asses, just please keep Gritty away. Please!

I'm probably as sympathetic to you guys as anyone on this board, bud - I'm desperate for you to get a new owner, because you deserve better, and I want you to be stable and stay where you are. There's every chance you will clobber us, but if we get a lead, tell your friends to watch us retreat into our shells like frightened wallflower turtles. If I were a betting man, I'd say we will share the points. There is nothing our coach likes better than the loser point, except for maybe snot and balls.

Reactions: Taluss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad