GDT: #4:FLYERS 7 at Senators 4, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018, 7:30 p.m. ET

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
G and V years ago man. I am hard on this team but its slow,soft and is low skilled. G dont beat anyone one on one and make plays its either there or not and that goes for the whole team excluding ghost and Konecny that can make **** happen. Poor team.
But honestly Hatch, I think Hak WANTS them to play that way. He is risk adverse. Our players never try creative things for a reason They know the coach not only PREFERS, but CATERS to those to play the "blah" game.

We have 100% taken on the personality of our coach. It's by design.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
But honestly Hatch, I think Hak WANTS them to play that way. He is risk adverse. Our players never try creative things for a reason They know the coach not only PREFERS, but CATERS to those to play the "blah" game.

G has been going to the half wall 5 on 5 since berube. Coach would go but its time for movement.

Reactions: FlyTimmo

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
Excellent point. The slowest member of the Flyers' lineup is usually the puck. Other teams attack with rapid accurate passes, moving the defense around and looking for high-danger chances. The Flyers all too often fumble through the NZ or trudge up with one back pass after another. I noticed one sequence around the middle of the 3rd where one puck carrier hit the Sharks blue line with (IIRC) three teammates at a dead stop on the line, waiting for the puck to get into the zone.

Where is the system? What is the system? It seems to consist of an overreliance of one puck carrier being able to stickhandle through opponents while the others wait for long-range passes. Even the PP rarely appears to be dangerous because of the endless perimeter passes. It usually is effective when a Gostisbehere shot zips its way into the net, or a rebound is smacked into the next. But I look longingly at the teams who appear to effortlessly move the puck around and through a defense with one dangerous look after another.
Thats the only thing that really bothers me other than the entries at times. We should have multiple setups we can switch to depending on where everyone is in the zone at the time.

Also depending on how the other team plays on the pk.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
None of the players gel either. V and the same play he did 100 yrs ago is done and he cant snipe either. Team is in alot of trouble and in saying that they'll win there share of games but never the cup.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
You could probably count the times Couturier touched the puck on the PP on one hand, which is not his fault whatsoever, but the system seems to underutilize that 5th man. I understand he draws pressure away from Ghost and Simmonds, but I can't help but feel there is a better structure out there to more efficiently utilize our full unit.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
You could probably count the times Couturier touched the puck on the PP on one hand, which is not his fault whatsoever, but the system seems to underutilize that 5th man. I understand he draws pressure away from Ghost and Simmonds, but I can't help but feel there is a better structure out there to more efficiently utilize our full unit.
Agreed. players have to have chemistry though and abilities to make and finish plays. V wouldnt be on the top pp anymore and JVR would be where simmonds is forsure.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
TK - Not slow
Giroux - Not slow
Raffl - Not slow
Weal - Not slow
Ghost - Not slow
Provy - Not slow
Sanheim - Not slow

I know it's not the 97 Red Wings, but they aren't slow. They play slow.

TK is fast, Giroux is average speed (above average quickness and agility), Weal is average, Ghost is good but not nearly as explosive as he was as a rookie, Provorov is good, Sanheim has good speed but not as fast as advertised.

TK is the only Flyer with speed that intimidates, Laughton and Raffl can skate.

But just as important, Flyers lost all the board battles at both ends, speed doesn't help if you can't regain possession of the puck.
Sharks aren't that fast, but they play a hard, two way game, always two forwards back checking hard when the Flyers had the puck, taking away odd man rushes.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
TK is fast, Giroux is average speed (above average quickness and agility), Weal is average, Ghost is good but not nearly as explosive as he was as a rookie, Provorov is good, Sanheim has good speed but not as fast as advertised.

But just as important, Flyers lost all the board battles at both ends, speed doesn't help if you can't regain possession of the puck.
Sharks aren't that fast, but they play a hard, two way game, always two forwards back checking hard when the Flyers had the puck, taking away odd man rushes.

So they had a superior gameplan and were better prepared to execute it.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC

never won a battle all night.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
See how I said "in any off season" as I realize this off season was an exception but his skating his been pretty bad since we acquired him and hasn't shown much improvement year-over-year
wasnt a knock on your statement. Just and over thought. provy didnt have his typical off season. Patrick probably went gang busters but may have negalected skill work. just things that players do when things change about their routine.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My odds of Hakstol's decisions:
  • Elliott starting: 50% (rationale would be to let Elliott rebound from last night's game)
  • Lehtera > Vorobyov: 33%
  • Folin in for Sanheim: 42%
  • Folin in for MacDonald: 10%
  • Weise in the lineup over Weal: 35%
  • Splitting Provorov-Gostisbehere: 75%

Weise over Weal I have no problem with, Weal was terrible. Weise at least gives you a big body, put him at 4RW, move Laughton to 3LW.

Splitting Provorov - Ghost, not with these other D-men, but next year it's a possibility if Morin is ready to start.
They're not a great combo against physical teams. I like the thought of Morin - Ghost, Provorov - Myers, Sanheim - Hagg/Friedman next year.

Folin over MacDonald is a possibility, they need to rest MacDonald for a week, give him another shot, and if he is still this bad, waive him down to LHV and call up Friedman. Myers needs to work on his game for a while, you don't bring him up to rotate, you bring him up to start.

Reactions: BernieParent

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
G has been going to the half wall 5 on 5 since berube. Coach would go but its time for movement.
And again, Giroux was just 2nd in the NHL in points...and 2nd in the NHL in even strength points. He is also 2nd in points this decade. So overall, he must be doing something right.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
And again, Giroux was just 2nd in the NHL in points...and 2nd in the NHL in even strength points. He is also 2nd in points this decade. So overall, he must be doing something right.
I know but hes no game breaker. Hes a good player but if every game was played like a playoff game he'd be finished. he'll probably have 10 pts tonight but it doesnt mean shit.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One thing that may have contributed to the slow start is the trip to the West Coast, pretty much screwed up the normal routine just when the team is starting to jell, next few weeks they'll be able to practice on a more regular basis. Then JVR goes down.

I want to keep TK with Patrick and Lindblom, that's a long-term move.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right

no this is false. they are playing slow they arent slow skaters.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No one said they're slow skaters, but they're not fast skaters, and that matters when you're undersized.

Big guys like Couts can use their body to shield the puck (Jagr is the best all time at this, and he was slowwwww in his later years).
Patrick and Vorobyev will get better at this over time.

Smaller guys can't afford to be "caught" because they can be bumped off the puck, which is why the best small guys around the league are ultra-quick, not just fast, waterbugs who are hard to catch. If you're not a waterbug you have to have high hockey IQs, be great passers and get rid of the puck without screwing up when challenged. Our smaller forwards are not waterbugs, Ghost was as a rookie, not so much since his injury.

You don't need 12 speedsters, the same way you don't need 12 goons, but you want enough speed to make teams respect you.
Frost will help, O'Brien will help.
Guys with size and speed like Myers and Ratcliffe (when he fills out) will help.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011

And it’s shit, not Flyers hockey in any sense not exciting not passionate just emotionless robotic players just like the deadbeet farmer toolbag coach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad