GDT: [#4] Dallas Stars at Washington Capitals, 6:00 PM CST (FS-SW, ESPN+) - K STARS DON'T MAKE THIS WEIRD

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Good call, although Janmark definitely had a weak grip there :laugh:

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
It depends. To this day, I still place the brunt of blame of the players. My main beefs against Nill are: (1) poor drafting, worse development; (2) the Benn contract, which I argued against on these boards before it was ever signed; (3) not trading Benn when his value was higher. Otherwise, he’s been an amazing GM. Great recruiter of star players, above average with contracts and cap management, above average with coaching decisions (Hitch wasn’t his hire), and a quality person who treats players well. There’s a reason the Stars have a great reputation as an organization and he’s a big part of it.

A shitty drafter and developer in today's NHL cannot be attributed to the word "amazing."The only attribute he's brought in is cap management.

Recruiter of star players? If we're talking about his UFA acquisitions, most read like Perry, 34+ Pavelski, 30+ Bishop with injury questions, glass-boy Hanzal, Comeau, and those whom he could bargain-bin into a cheaper contract amount and/or term (even Rads, who has been his consistently best performing UFA). That's why he is yet to recruit marquee UFAs like Tavares (didn't he fail at that?), Panarin, Duchene etc. in the 27-29 age group.

He's a quality guy? Big deal. This isn't a personality contest. Do your job. Draft and develop well and evaluate your drafted duds on the basis of merit instead of trying to play "quality guy" before they stink up the joint.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad