4 "A"s again this year

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Still trying to improve, rebuild and learning to play a complete game. The team Is likely bottom 5 again, why put the C on his sweater right away... It's a prestigious thing to be a Wings captain. Losing with the C on your sweater after all the years of success is hard on players, why let Dylan start his captaincy on a sour note... Let the kids keep growing and when they are ready to compete and the dead weight that feels entitled is gone, then Dylan and the kids can start their new era officially.

Yzerman started on terrible teams while being less of a complete player though a bigger star. Still I don't really understand this narrative. It is his team, it will be his team next summer as well. I think probably the fact his extremely close friend Glendening gets an A makes it probably cool with Larkin. Still I think he has earned it, I would basically endorse chanting there is our captain when he scores if we get enough people in the LCA this season.

They can do what they want, I don't think additional pressures were going to impact Larkin. I was just excited for him to wear the C, I think he has earned that. I guess they want him to put up one more big year first. I don't think he needed to and a big part of that is who he is off the ice and on. I would like him to cut down on his penalties a lot this year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Its normally a decision between coach and GM.

Publically, Y has said its entirely a Blashill decision.
… and Zetterberg said GM and owner.

Maybe the problem is that they haven't figured out who's suppose to make the decision, lol. That would be more typical of the Ford family, not the Ilitches.

TimIsRetired

Jun 22, 2019
It's not complicated. It's a throw away year. Yzerman went through it with the C when we had a goon show to watch. Leave the kid be until next year.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
(I'm actually asking this, I don't know) How many post-game pressers did Abdelkader take last year? How many did Nielsen take?

Do they really think that the press (or anyone else for that matter) cares what Glendenning or Abdelkader or Nielsen thinks about the next loss?

And, yeah, I do remember the painful pressers with Z, in his Dan Cleary hat, coming up with the same old excuses after a loss in his last year. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but y'know what? There's no such thing as "sheltered minutes" when you're a captain, but that's how you grow into the job. That's how Stevie grew into it.

Who is the one that the Wings are promoting shamelessly as the face of the franchise? Who's opinion of the team and insider's perspective do they want to hear, after a loss or a win? Who is the de-facto leader now?

Give him the C

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
(I'm actually asking this, I don't know) How many post-game pressers did Abdelkader take last year? How many did Nielsen take?

Do they really think that the press (or anyone else for that matter) cares what Glendenning or Abdelkader or Nielsen thinks about the next loss?

And, yeah, I do remember the painful pressers with Z, in his Dan Cleary hat, coming up with the same old excuses after a loss in his last year. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but y'know what? There's no such thing as "sheltered minutes" when you're a captain, but that's how you grow into the job. That's how Stevie grew into it.

Who is the one that the Wings are promoting shamelessly as the face of the franchise? Who's opinion of the team and insider's perspective do they want to hear, after a loss or a win? Who is the de-facto leader now?

Give him the C

They answered a lot of them most nights. Guys in letters almost have to. But in terms of it when healthy Kronner the Abdelkader seemed to be the order on rough nights. Nielsen and Vanek usually were in there but Larkin talked a lot as well.

My guess is whether they like it or not Larkin is going to be that guy now. We could accept Kronner as a fanbase and a part of that was he was always honest and a good interview. That guy is Larkin now and he is the face of the franchise. Even with control over the super friends in opposition buildings he is going to be the guy and our fanbase is going to force that locally in my opinion.

I get because we don't like a few of the guys contracts, but Glendening is going to be a good A. Not sure why people are dumping on him. He is important in that room and he never takes a shift off.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Give him the C

Frankly, nobody in the press or otherwise should give one iota of a **** what any player thinks of a loss. The post-game pressers are the stupidest things in the history of sports. Very rarely do you get anything out of them. It's always "Oh, they played real hard, and (in a loss), we just gotta put our nose to the grindstone and execute better or (in a win), we executed really well tonight." I mean, hell, even if your post here "Oh, I remember Z coming out with the same old excuses." If that's what you feel about post-game pressers, why would you stump for a guy to do them and somehow denigrate because the team isn't saying "Hey, Larks, get up and say a bunch of worthless **** to the media".

It's like the coach interviews between periods, between innings, or at halftime. Being a Captain is about a lot more than standing and facing the press at the end of the game. Yeah, I agree that Larkin is the odds on favorite to get it and he is the face of the franchise, but why Yzerman and Blash aren't going whole hog on that is that Yzerman hasn't seen Larkin operate up close. And that's what they're saying. "Hey, I want to see with my own eyes that the kid is doing all the things that a captain ought to do. It's the same reason he's preaching patience on player acquisition and the rebuild. He doesn't know exactly what he has yet.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

Give him the C

I saw them more often than you'd see other players of their caliber. Kronwall and Howard did a lot of the talking.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
Frankly, nobody in the press or otherwise should give one iota of a **** what any player thinks of a loss. The post-game pressers are the stupidest things in the history of sports. Very rarely do you get anything out of them. It's always "Oh, they played real hard, and (in a loss), we just gotta put our nose to the grindstone and execute better or (in a win), we executed really well tonight." I mean, hell, even if your post here "Oh, I remember Z coming out with the same old excuses." If that's what you feel about post-game pressers, why would you stump for a guy to do them and somehow denigrate because the team isn't saying "Hey, Larks, get up and say a bunch of worthless **** to the media".

It's like the coach interviews between periods, between innings, or at halftime. Being a Captain is about a lot more than standing and facing the press at the end of the game. Yeah, I agree that Larkin is the odds on favorite to get it and he is the face of the franchise, but why Yzerman and Blash aren't going whole hog on that is that Yzerman hasn't seen Larkin operate up close. And that's what they're saying. "Hey, I want to see with my own eyes that the kid is doing all the things that a captain ought to do. It's the same reason he's preaching patience on player acquisition and the rebuild. He doesn't know exactly what he has yet.

I wasn't exactly stumping for him to do that part of the job, just saying that it's probably the most distasteful and demoralizing part of it.

Yzerman may not have seen Larkin in action, but Blash certainly has.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Not really sure why anyone would be upset over this.
Because I don't want dead weight (Abdelkader) and dead weight emeritus (Nielsen) to wear a letter at all, while the best player on the team is "insulated" from the honor he already deserves.

Reserving the right to change their minds is the only smart aspect about this...provided they do so soon.

Reactions: NotLeddy

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010
Agreed, I am planning to buy a Larkin jersey but won't until the C is on it.
Can you not just take it to a jersey shop and have them swap the A for a C? I've done that with entire number sets for jerseys and it takes like a week to get it back, kiboshing an entire jersey you're going to buy anyway just because of an easily replaceable A patch seems silly.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Can you not just take it to a jersey shop and have them swap the A for a C? I've done that with entire number sets for jerseys and it takes like a week to get it back, kiboshing an entire jersey you're going to buy anyway just because of an easily replaceable A patch seems silly.
Or just buy one without any patch and throw the C on there later.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON

So I should be extra money because the Wings are too stupid to name him a captain right now? No thanks I will wait.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
if anybody yzermans been where larkin is ands the perfect person to be running this .imo larkin is young and dont need the pressure of the C on him yet . let him get more nhl time logged without the pressure . good call 19 ! and 19 prob told 71 exactly what i just said

Hopefully he worded it better.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I really don't understand it. Quite honestly. I can only think Blashill is on the hot-seat really and Yzerman wants to decide when he's more comfortable with the head coach, ( This one or the one he'll hire. )

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
For those all up in arms, IMO, should probably get used to this for another year.

I really think this is more a respect thing towards Z than it is Larkin not ready for the "C".

Gare left for Edmonton before Yzerman was named. Yzerman retired before Lidstrom was named. Lidstrom also retired before Z was named. Z hasn't officially retired yet.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
For those all up in arms, IMO, should probably get used to this for another year.

I really think this is more a respect thing towards Z than it is Larkin not ready for the "C".

Gare left for Edmonton before Yzerman was named. Yzerman retired before Lidstrom was named. Lidstrom also retired before Z was named. Z hasn't officially retired yet.
Official retirement is just a formality for Z, he knows he's not going to play again. I doubt he cares. There's 2 reasons for him not to retire, cap recapture penalty for the team and actual salary being paid to him. If the contract wasn't guaranteed, he'd have retired already.

Reactions: Mlotek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad