4 "A"s again this year

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by lhsgolf19, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

I was thinking about going to bed early (west coaster), so I Googled one and watched it. It wasn't that bad....

Maybe you can post one that's better for insomnia?

Part of the problem is that he probably does the same speech every year. I did that when I hired and trained ski instructors. I hope I sounded a little bit more enthused though.

2. coatnoise

coatnoise Registered User

Firstly, good post.

You are right about the series I was thinking of, I have nothing for that. My mistake. I will disagree about AA not growing, I think there is a 3 minute differential over his last 4 years, he has gotten a lot better, I would expect a rise in production, but not as big a jump as it has been.

There are natural ebbs and flows when it comes to development, I think Mantha's issues stem less from motivation and more from maturity, there is a subtle difference between the two, but it looks like he is a player who believes in himself, knows what he is capable of and now probably has the confidence knowing that he can handle himself at the highest level as his body has fully grown into his frame. We will see a slightly different Mantha this year. We began to see it last year but through the World's, he looked like a player who was finally believing that he belonged.

I think people already have their minds made up RE: Blash, myself included and are just looking for confirmation bias either way, the truth is probably closer too, he started off doing more bad than good and has slowly started picking up more good habits recently, I don't see it as too much of a coincidence that the less his hands have been tied by the aging team that he inherited, the more good we see in terms of a clear idea and direction.

All in all, as a first time NHL head coach we have to expect that he has a learning curve also. It is the drawback of going young behind the bench. They have to be allowed to learn from their mistakes and generally, I think he has done. I think he gets this year as another years grace (context dependent, if he clearly starts losing the room then Steve has a decision to make) and then once Yzerman has some cap space to use and some roster spots to insert youngsters into the line up, then we will need to see a concerted effort to improve ourselves in the standings, this needs to be the last of the famine years though for sure.

3. MBH

MBH Registered User

I cannot believe people credit Blashill for Athanasiou's success.
    That's like sadistic.

Mlotek likes this.
  4. coatnoise

He obviously isn't the only factor but he has been under his stewardship for a fair few years now in both GR (where he was given his debut by Blashill) and on the main roster, where he was given his debut by ... Jeff Blashill. No one has suggested that AA has been completely down to Blashill, but to suggest that he and his staff hasn't had a major hand in his progress is disingenuous.

ealong59, Gniwder and kliq like this.
  5. TheClap

TheClap Registered User

These the same "sources" that fuel your Datsyuk screwed the Wings over narrative?

His job will be secure if the team plays well and kids continue to improve. I don't see him surviving another 1-10 streak, let alone three separate instances like they had last year.

6. Konnan511

Konnan511 Play Pals

Hmmmm.... I see someone doesn't remember Yzerman's first few years as captain.

7. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Some of the same people yes.

We will see, it depends on some of the factors. I really don't expect him to lose his job in season unless he throws up an Anaheim like stretch from last year where obviously nobody would be safe.

8. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Pitter Patter

Awesome, Awful, Average, and Aggravating (to opponents)

9. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Pitter Patter

I do. And am not sure what you're referring to.

Yzerman got a helluva lot more demonstrative about his complaining as he got older. As a young captain he was pretty quiet. That's why it was so surprising and hilarious when he did the championship belt thing to Domi after his fight with Probert.

FMichael likes this.
  10. Hen Kolland

Hen Kolland Registered User

Financial Analyst
    Yeah, we know it’s actually because of you Mr. Athanasiou. Thank you for gracing us with your prodigal son.

11. RedWingzz

RedWingzz "En dernière pour Lafrenière!!"

This is a massive slap in the face to Larkin. He is obviously going to be the next captain, why delay the inevitable?

Cringeworthy that we have Abdelkader and Glendening wearing letters...

NotLeddy likes this.
  12. vladdy16

vladdy16 Registered User

Thumb slipped/errant post

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  13. FMichael

FMichael Registered User

Pretty much agree with this...I've always felt Blash has tried to be a Babs clone - just without the results.

Unless someone more enticing is available - I don't see Blash getting fired anytime soon.

Mlotek likes this.
  14. Retire91

Retire91 hot and REaDy Wings Sponsor

this makes sense on multiple points, Steve probably remembers having to do pressers all the time for losing seasons and doesn't want to put a youngster through that. Also non of Yzerman's draft class is chugging along yet maybe he drafted someone he sees C on. It doesn't go over well when you unmake someone captain. I don't see the reason for the rush.

But if we win the cup who do they hand it to first ;)

15. lhsgolf19

lhsgolf19 Registered User

kliq likes this.
  16. FMichael

FMichael Registered User

Are these conversations pertaining to wearing the 'C', or to date one of Yzerman's daughters?

17. kliq

kliq Registered User

The more I think about it, the more I like it. When the day comes where Larkin is given the C, he is likely going to appreciate it big time. Its a big deal to be the captain of the Wings, and it should be treated as such.

ChelisChiliBar likes this.
  18. MBH

MBH Registered User

LOL Remember the disastrous Oates trade?

FMichael likes this.
  19. MBH

MBH Registered User

No, it's not.
    A talent like AA
    would have 3 20-goal seasons under his belt and maybe 2 30-goal seasons under his belt without Blashill holding him back.
    Watch next year, too. You're going to see his TOI sent backward from where it was the last month. That's how Blash rolls.

Anyway, back OT.
    I'm glad Larkin is taking it like a pro. I'm 95 percent sure he's the future C.
    Maybe Stevie wants to see what Joe V and Moritz S are all about first. But no reason you couldn't have them wear As in the future.

20. Ezekial

Ezekial Registered User

Kid was a 30+ goals a season lock with no warts and we got him #110 overall.

21. Squirrel in the Hole

Squirrel in the Hole Be the best squirrel in the hole

If that's true, why not give him the C. In my opinion, NOT giving him the C at this point puts more pressure on him.

22. Bondurant

Bondurant Registered User

Not sure why some have ruffled feathers. Leadership designations have zero impact on how I view the game as a fan and consumer.

Win. That's what I care about.

23. ricky0034

ricky0034 Registered User

maybe the Wings really want to name Abdelkader captain but feel the need to wait a year and hope he rebounds after the awful year he just had

Mlotek likes this.
  24. coatnoise

[​IMG]

Konnan511 likes this.
  25. saska sault

saska sault Registered User

Still trying to improve, rebuild and learning to play a complete game. The team Is likely bottom 5 again, why put the C on his sweater right away... It's a prestigious thing to be a Wings captain. Losing with the C on your sweater after all the years of success is hard on players, why let Dylan start his captaincy on a sour note... Let the kids keep growing and when they are ready to compete and the dead weight that feels entitled is gone, then Dylan and the kids can start their new era officially.

kliq likes this.