4 "A"s again this year

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Although if you want to fall asleep, listening to Blashill's pep talks are great.
I was thinking about going to bed early (west coaster), so I Googled one and watched it. It wasn't that bad....

Maybe you can post one that's better for insomnia?

Part of the problem is that he probably does the same speech every year. I did that when I hired and trained ski instructors. I hope I sounded a little bit more enthused though.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I'll disagree with that narrative about Mantha.

Mantha is a hit or miss player, you never know which is going to show up. This points to clear motivational issues. Blash can't seem to keep him going, granted its on Mantha, but its the coaches job to keep players motivate.

Keep in mind he scored 15 points in the final 8 games.

Compare that to the 33 points he got in the previous 59 games. Which isn't bad, but somewhat of near minimal output you expect from a player getting 18 minutes a night. Keep in mind Mantha has the tools to be an offensive force as shown at the end of the season.

That Tampa series where Detroit went to game 7 was under Babcock, and Mrazek was insane. That would have been 2014-15, Babcock's last season.

The Tampa series under Blashill was 2015-16 where Detroit got crushed in 5. Detroit wasn't getting much offense, yet Blash would consistently bench the single Red Wing generating chances, especially for third periods.

Should I mention the guy also scored the only GWG of that series?

Its funny that he continued throttling that player's icetime over the next few years. Eventually he 'earned' more icetime and continued scoring at same pace relative to icetime. Apart from minor changes defensively, I really haven't seen AA grow. He's taken advantage of the added ice-time but that was Blash holding him back.

I'll give him more leeway in leaning on Howard over Mrazek, despite Mrazek have much better numbers in the regular season. Howard was the starter. Howard also got chased after 2 games. Mrazek than had a sub 1.5 GAA over the next 3 games.

How much Blash has been leaning on Abdelkader is a cause for concern. There was large stretches last season where Abdelkader wasn't even at AHL level was still given plenty of icetime.

Scratching Horwovski (Cholo) for the only game in his hometown was a pissoff as well. Both to the player and the fans. I also loved the excuse it was for poor defensive play, but would never dream of doing the same to guys like Daley or Ericsson who are much worse. Magical coach Blashill was probably out of ideas to develop him, afterall, he kept getting worse the longer Blash had him.

There are tons of other issues, more on the minor side.

His record with the US team at World Championships isn't exactly glowing either. 4 years and only a bronze. Being eliminated twice by a team with barely any NHL players.

Although if you want to fall asleep, listening to Blashill's pep talks are great.

Firstly, good post.

You are right about the series I was thinking of, I have nothing for that. My mistake. I will disagree about AA not growing, I think there is a 3 minute differential over his last 4 years, he has gotten a lot better, I would expect a rise in production, but not as big a jump as it has been.

There are natural ebbs and flows when it comes to development, I think Mantha's issues stem less from motivation and more from maturity, there is a subtle difference between the two, but it looks like he is a player who believes in himself, knows what he is capable of and now probably has the confidence knowing that he can handle himself at the highest level as his body has fully grown into his frame. We will see a slightly different Mantha this year. We began to see it last year but through the World's, he looked like a player who was finally believing that he belonged.

I think people already have their minds made up RE: Blash, myself included and are just looking for confirmation bias either way, the truth is probably closer too, he started off doing more bad than good and has slowly started picking up more good habits recently, I don't see it as too much of a coincidence that the less his hands have been tied by the aging team that he inherited, the more good we see in terms of a clear idea and direction.

All in all, as a first time NHL head coach we have to expect that he has a learning curve also. It is the drawback of going young behind the bench. They have to be allowed to learn from their mistakes and generally, I think he has done. I think he gets this year as another years grace (context dependent, if he clearly starts losing the room then Steve has a decision to make) and then once Yzerman has some cap space to use and some roster spots to insert youngsters into the line up, then we will need to see a concerted effort to improve ourselves in the standings, this needs to be the last of the famine years though for sure.

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I cannot believe people credit Blashill for Athanasiou's success.
That's like sadistic.

He obviously isn't the only factor but he has been under his stewardship for a fair few years now in both GR (where he was given his debut by Blashill) and on the main roster, where he was given his debut by ... Jeff Blashill. No one has suggested that AA has been completely down to Blashill, but to suggest that he and his staff hasn't had a major hand in his progress is disingenuous.

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Heard from people I trust since last August that Blashill was far more likely to remain with Yzerman than he was with Holland for those that keep that narrative going... No I am not going to source it but I trust the people I heard it from.

I think Yzerman was smart to have Holland extend Blash before taking the job, but Blashill is still here from what I understand in a large part because Yzerman. I get that is not the way it is being described by our fanbase over and over.

Yzerman defended his best friend Cooper and there have been times where he was under fire down in Tampa. He also went after Lalonde another believer in the same style hockey. I am not sure Blashill can survive beyond his current agreement without some improvements to the roster which I honestly don't expect. I don't think his support upstairs is nearly as tenuous as most of our posters and a part of that is yes when I have asked a few that should know and that wasn't their current feelings at all. Things could change though, Yzerman soured on Boucher in a hurry. Stevie is less likely to be entrenched in his opinions than most managers.

Still I really don't see the downside to giving Larkin that C, especially with all he is already doing off the ice, housing teammates, setting up skill clinics, helping various local charities. I think he is ready, maybe they just want him to concentrate on a point per game season and cutting his penalty minutes down, but I really don't understand the holdup.

These the same "sources" that fuel your Datsyuk screwed the Wings over narrative?

His job will be secure if the team plays well and kids continue to improve. I don't see him surviving another 1-10 streak, let alone three separate instances like they had last year.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Unfortunately, Blashill conditions for making team are met.

1. Veteran
2. Has pulse

Larkin had quite a few temper tantrums last season throwing his stick, smashing his stick, and tossing his helmet.

Emotionally, he is NOT ready.

That being said, I also don't subscribe to the idea that your best player has to be the Captain.
Hmmmm.... I see someone doesn't remember Yzerman's first few years as captain.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
These the same "sources" that fuel your Datsyuk screwed the Wings over narrative?

His job will be secure if the team plays well and kids continue to improve. I don't see him surviving another 1-10 streak, let alone three separate instances like they had last year.

Some of the same people yes.

We will see, it depends on some of the factors. I really don't expect him to lose his job in season unless he throws up an Anaheim like stretch from last year where obviously nobody would be safe.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Hmmmm.... I see someone doesn't remember Yzerman's first few years as captain.
I do. And am not sure what you're referring to.

Yzerman got a helluva lot more demonstrative about his complaining as he got older. As a young captain he was pretty quiet. That's why it was so surprising and hilarious when he did the championship belt thing to Domi after his fight with Probert.

Reactions: FMichael
Apr 14, 2009
Canada
This is a massive slap in the face to Larkin. He is obviously going to be the next captain, why delay the inevitable?

Cringeworthy that we have Abdelkader and Glendening wearing letters...

Reactions: NotLeddy

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll disagree with that narrative about Mantha.

Mantha is a hit or miss player, you never know which is going to show up. This points to clear motivational issues. Blash can't seem to keep him going, granted its on Mantha, but its the coaches job to keep players motivate.

Keep in mind he scored 15 points in the final 8 games.

Compare that to the 33 points he got in the previous 59 games. Which isn't bad, but somewhat of near minimal output you expect from a player getting 18 minutes a night. Keep in mind Mantha has the tools to be an offensive force as shown at the end of the season.

That Tampa series where Detroit went to game 7 was under Babcock, and Mrazek was insane. That would have been 2014-15, Babcock's last season.

The Tampa series under Blashill was 2015-16 where Detroit got crushed in 5. Detroit wasn't getting much offense, yet Blash would consistently bench the single Red Wing generating chances, especially for third periods.

Should I mention the guy also scored the only GWG of that series?

Its funny that he continued throttling that player's icetime over the next few years. Eventually he 'earned' more icetime and continued scoring at same pace relative to icetime. Apart from minor changes defensively, I really haven't seen AA grow. He's taken advantage of the added ice-time but that was Blash holding him back.

I'll give him more leeway in leaning on Howard over Mrazek, despite Mrazek have much better numbers in the regular season. Howard was the starter. Howard also got chased after 2 games. Mrazek than had a sub 1.5 GAA over the next 3 games.

How much Blash has been leaning on Abdelkader is a cause for concern. There was large stretches last season where Abdelkader wasn't even at AHL level was still given plenty of icetime.

Scratching Horwovski (Cholo) for the only game in his hometown was a pissoff as well. Both to the player and the fans. I also loved the excuse it was for poor defensive play, but would never dream of doing the same to guys like Daley or Ericsson who are much worse. Magical coach Blashill was probably out of ideas to develop him, afterall, he kept getting worse the longer Blash had him.

There are tons of other issues, more on the minor side.

His record with the US team at World Championships isn't exactly glowing either. 4 years and only a bronze. Being eliminated twice by a team with barely any NHL players.

Pretty much agree with this...I've always felt Blash has tried to be a Babs clone - just without the results.

Unless someone more enticing is available - I don't see Blash getting fired anytime soon.

Reactions: Mlotek

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
this makes sense on multiple points, Steve probably remembers having to do pressers all the time for losing seasons and doesn't want to put a youngster through that. Also non of Yzerman's draft class is chugging along yet maybe he drafted someone he sees C on. It doesn't go over well when you unmake someone captain. I don't see the reason for the rush.

But if we win the cup who do they hand it to first ;)

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I like it. When the day comes where Larkin is given the C, he is likely going to appreciate it big time. Its a big deal to be the captain of the Wings, and it should be treated as such.

Reactions: ChelisChiliBar

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He obviously isn't the only factor but he has been under his stewardship for a fair few years now in both GR (where he was given his debut by Blashill) and on the main roster, where he was given his debut by ... Jeff Blashill. No one has suggested that AA has been completely down to Blashill, but to suggest that he and his staff hasn't had a major hand in his progress is disingenuous.

No, it's not.
A talent like AA
would have 3 20-goal seasons under his belt and maybe 2 30-goal seasons under his belt without Blashill holding him back.
Watch next year, too. You're going to see his TOI sent backward from where it was the last month. That's how Blash rolls.

Anyway, back OT.
I'm glad Larkin is taking it like a pro. I'm 95 percent sure he's the future C.
Maybe Stevie wants to see what Joe V and Moritz S are all about first. But no reason you couldn't have them wear As in the future.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Not sure why some have ruffled feathers. Leadership designations have zero impact on how I view the game as a fan and consumer.

Win. That's what I care about.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
maybe the Wings really want to name Abdelkader captain but feel the need to wait a year and hope he rebounds after the awful year he just had

Reactions: Mlotek

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
maybe the Wings really want to name Abdelkader captain but feel the need to wait a year and hope he rebounds after the awful year he just had

200.gif

Reactions: Konnan511

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If that's true, why not give him the C. In my opinion, NOT giving him the C at this point puts more pressure on him.

Still trying to improve, rebuild and learning to play a complete game. The team Is likely bottom 5 again, why put the C on his sweater right away... It's a prestigious thing to be a Wings captain. Losing with the C on your sweater after all the years of success is hard on players, why let Dylan start his captaincy on a sour note... Let the kids keep growing and when they are ready to compete and the dead weight that feels entitled is gone, then Dylan and the kids can start their new era officially.

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad