4 "A"s again this year

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
I want Larkin to have the C so I can say, "Look, that's our Captain."

But if I put aside my desires as a fan and look at the situation objectively, this could be the best decision.
It takes away any perceived entitlement and forces Larkin to continue doing what he did last year.
How does he respond? Does he regress on ice or perhaps complain behind the scenes? That's not C material.
Does he continue to lead on and off the ice by example and maintain a positive attitude? That IS C material.
I think he will respond well to this challenge and will be wearing the C soon enough.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'll step in as Vegas, and say that's a pure -115 to -115 pick 'em bet.

Henkka's got the early advantage, but once the season starts the late rounds should favor Clap.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Maybe they are waiting for like 2-4 more years. Because if we win the lotto we could get a generational talent. And with how the wings not swapping out C's they might want to wait then.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
if anybody yzermans been where larkin is ands the perfect person to be running this .imo larkin is young and dont need the pressure of the C on him yet . let him get more nhl time logged without the pressure . good call 19 ! and 19 prob told 71 exactly what i just said

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I think it’s bs that a team cannot name a captain. It should be mandatory that a team have a player wearing the c.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
No. Blaim Blashilll about everything! (even of an Yzerman decision)

You guys are bordering on creating a strawman here.

If you are in the camp that is suspicious of Blashills long term viability, it is not unreasonable to look into a major team decision for an idea of the direction things are heading.

Imo, this non-decision and how its being broadcast reflects poorly on the coaches positioning.

I'm not blaming him for something I dont like, I'm saying "if this was a coach that I could get behind, and he's going to be here for the long haul, would things be happening in this manner?"

That's a pretty far cry from some predisposed/biased knee jerk reaction. And to say the answer to that question isnt debatable, I would say that's more unreasonable than keeping the conversation open.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Blashill probably wanted the C on Hicketts.

or Glendening

it would look pretty bad to take a 20 point bottom 6 forward without a letter and name him captain over Larkin but give him an A for a year and force feed him powerplay minutes to try and get him up to 30 points or so and the backlash will be less

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I figure next summer GM Yzerman, and Coach Babcock will hold a press conference introducing Larkin as the new Captain of the Detroit Red Wings :naughty:

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
Stevie's really been around the team for the year. I know March is the public point of contact but disappointed with this decision. Also, Abdelkader should have to earn a spot on the team before he has an A.... We know that probably isn't the case but that part of this statement bothers me.
Unfortunately, Blashill conditions for making team are met.

1. Veteran
2. Has pulse

Get Blash out of here man... How can you not name 71 the captain, my god

Blash must have some kind of concern we don't see,
Or he's an idiot.
Could very well one, the other, or both.

Larkin had quite a few temper tantrums last season throwing his stick, smashing his stick, and tossing his helmet.

Emotionally, he is NOT ready.

That being said, I also don't subscribe to the idea that your best player has to be the Captain.

Reactions: RRhoads

TheClap

Jul 20, 2014
Implying he cares which coach makes Larkin the captain? Because especially now that Kronwall is gone, who else would he even consider?

I'm being facetious and projecting my disdain for Blashill into Yzerman and this announcement. Don't take me seriously here.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Unfortunately, Blashill conditions for making team are met.

1. Veteran
2. Has pulse

Larkin had quite a few temper tantrums last season throwing his stick, smashing his stick, and tossing his helmet.

Emotionally, he is NOT ready.

That being said, I also don't subscribe to the idea that your best player has to be the Captain.

Stevie Yzerman had his fair share of tantrums. Even after he'd won cups.

Reactions: FMichael

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
I don't particularly understand where the "Blashill isn't decisive" narrative is coming from given that he is the one that threw Larkin into the big team at a young age to begin with. Same with finding spots for Rasmussen

This seems like an extremely pragmatic move and as has been mentioned above, is probably intended to insulate Larkin from having a losing season as captain right off the bat, no one is better positioned than Steve Yzerman to know of the pressures, both positive and negative, of being given the captaincy at a young age.

Also. given that only 3 players a night can wear a letter, it wouldn't surprise me any to be naming 4 A's because they expect Abdelkader to be out of the line-up at points during this season, so you know, at least there may be some reason to rejoice.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Heard from people I trust since last August that Blashill was far more likely to remain with Yzerman than he was with Holland for those that keep that narrative going... No I am not going to source it but I trust the people I heard it from.

I think Yzerman was smart to have Holland extend Blash before taking the job, but Blashill is still here from what I understand in a large part because Yzerman. I get that is not the way it is being described by our fanbase over and over.

Yzerman defended his best friend Cooper and there have been times where he was under fire down in Tampa. He also went after Lalonde another believer in the same style hockey. I am not sure Blashill can survive beyond his current agreement without some improvements to the roster which I honestly don't expect. I don't think his support upstairs is nearly as tenuous as most of our posters and a part of that is yes when I have asked a few that should know and that wasn't their current feelings at all. Things could change though, Yzerman soured on Boucher in a hurry. Stevie is less likely to be entrenched in his opinions than most managers.

Still I really don't see the downside to giving Larkin that C, especially with all he is already doing off the ice, housing teammates, setting up skill clinics, helping various local charities. I think he is ready, maybe they just want him to concentrate on a point per game season and cutting his penalty minutes down, but I really don't understand the holdup.

Reactions: coatnoise

bearball

Sep 11, 2019
Milton Keynes, UK
Heard from people I trust since last August that Blashill was far more likely to remain with Yzerman than he was with Holland for those that keep that narrative going... No I am not going to source it but I trust the people I heard it from.

I think Yzerman was smart to have Holland extend Blash before taking the job, but Blashill is still here from what I understand in a large part because Yzerman. I get that is not the way it is being described by our fanbase over and over.

Yzerman defended his best friend Cooper and there have been times where he was under fire down in Tampa. He also went after Lalonde another believer in the same style hockey. I am not sure Blashill can survive beyond his current agreement without some improvements to the roster which I honestly don't expect. I don't think his support upstairs is nearly as tenuous as most of our posters and a part of that is yes when I have asked a few that should know and that wasn't their current feelings at all. Things could change though, Yzerman soured on Boucher in a hurry. Stevie is less likely to be entrenched in his opinions than most managers.

Still I really don't see the downside to giving Larkin that C, especially with all he is already doing off the ice, housing teammates, setting up skill clinics, helping various local charities. I think he is ready, maybe they just want him to concentrate on a point per game season and cutting his penalty minutes down, but I really don't understand the holdup.

Thing is with Blashill, if he is let go, I guarantee he is back behind an NHL bench within 12 months. He is obviously incredibly highly thought of at one of the best talent developers in the modern game (being USA) and is a constant fixture in their international tournaments, there is obviously a reason for this.

Blashill came into a team that should have been starting a rebuild and took them too the playoffs, he was a bullshit Kronwall suspension away from knocking off the heavily favoured Tampa as well. Thereafter it has been a combination of not enough depth of talent and a rapidly aging roster that has held the organisation back. It can be Holland's fault, or it can be Blashill's, we can't have it both ways.

He has gotten the correct responses out of Mantha and Athanasiou when they were up and down and has brought them on superbly. Larkin, Bert, Hronek. I mean, those are 5 of our higher end prospects since he joined and they are all either where they should be or slightly ahead of where they should be. I simply don't see this supposed bad job that he is doing.

Reactions: Air Budd Dwyer

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Thing is with Blashill, if he is let go, I guarantee he is back behind an NHL bench within 12 months. He is obviously incredibly highly thought of at one of the best talent developers in the modern game (being USA) and is a constant fixture in their international tournaments, there is obviously a reason for this.

Blashill came into a team that should have been starting a rebuild and took them too the playoffs, he was a bull**** Kronwall suspension away from knocking off the heavily favoured Tampa as well. Thereafter it has been a combination of not enough depth of talent and a rapidly aging roster that has held the organisation back. It can be Holland's fault, or it can be Blashill's, we can't have it both ways.

He has gotten the correct responses out of Mantha and Athanasiou when they were up and down and has brought them on superbly. Larkin, Bert, Hronek. I mean, those are 5 of our higher end prospects since he joined and they are all either where they should be or slightly ahead of where they should be. I simply don't see this supposed bad job that he is doing.

I am not sure everyone has to be at fault. The system is designed to do what happened to us. We will see, but yes I think Blashill like a Gallant or DeBour will catch on somewhere with another job. Now he should be careful where he goes next, he cannot take over another team in a real tough spot with a long road back and hope to get a third one in my opinion.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't buy that "Yzerman hasn't been here" point.
Maybe they just don't want Larkin with the burden of facing the media every night during another 70-point campaign. And they don't want to say that out loud.
But you can't tell me Yzerman wasn't watching Larkin, didn't have conversations with Holland about Larkin, and wasn't keenly aware of Larkin's traits.
I totally agree with you. Stevie knows the burden of being the young captain of a crappy team. Who are we to question his judgement? Has anyone else here captained a NHL team?

Stevie wants to hold off until Seider is ready to wear the C.
You meant Alexis, right?

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border

Blashill came into a team that should have been starting a rebuild and took them too the playoffs, he was a bull**** Kronwall suspension away from knocking off the heavily favoured Tampa as well. Thereafter it has been a combination of not enough depth of talent and a rapidly aging roster that has held the organisation back. It can be Holland's fault, or it can be Blashill's, we can't have it both ways.

I'll disagree with that narrative about Mantha.

Mantha is a hit or miss player, you never know which is going to show up. This points to clear motivational issues. Blash can't seem to keep him going, granted its on Mantha, but its the coaches job to keep players motivate.

Keep in mind he scored 15 points in the final 8 games.

Compare that to the 33 points he got in the previous 59 games. Which isn't bad, but somewhat of near minimal output you expect from a player getting 18 minutes a night. Keep in mind Mantha has the tools to be an offensive force as shown at the end of the season.

That Tampa series where Detroit went to game 7 was under Babcock, and Mrazek was insane. That would have been 2014-15, Babcock's last season.

The Tampa series under Blashill was 2015-16 where Detroit got crushed in 5. Detroit wasn't getting much offense, yet Blash would consistently bench the single Red Wing generating chances, especially for third periods.

Should I mention the guy also scored the only GWG of that series?

Its funny that he continued throttling that player's icetime over the next few years. Eventually he 'earned' more icetime and continued scoring at same pace relative to icetime. Apart from minor changes defensively, I really haven't seen AA grow. He's taken advantage of the added ice-time but that was Blash holding him back.

I'll give him more leeway in leaning on Howard over Mrazek, despite Mrazek have much better numbers in the regular season. Howard was the starter. Howard also got chased after 2 games. Mrazek than had a sub 1.5 GAA over the next 3 games.

How much Blash has been leaning on Abdelkader is a cause for concern. There was large stretches last season where Abdelkader wasn't even at AHL level was still given plenty of icetime.

Scratching Horwovski (Cholo) for the only game in his hometown was a pissoff as well. Both to the player and the fans. I also loved the excuse it was for poor defensive play, but would never dream of doing the same to guys like Daley or Ericsson who are much worse. Magical coach Blashill was probably out of ideas to develop him, afterall, he kept getting worse the longer Blash had him.

There are tons of other issues, more on the minor side.

His record with the US team at World Championships isn't exactly glowing either. 4 years and only a bronze. Being eliminated twice by a team with barely any NHL players.

Although if you want to fall asleep, listening to Blashill's pep talks are great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad