4 "A"s again this year

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I understand that this year is a house money year, and so things could get really far off track, so I dont mind insulating Larkin from that...

But this is also another reminder that Blashill will never stick his neck out, will never roll the dice, and will always play the fake role of 'unemotional birds eye expert' when really he is an insecure, uninspiring, paint by numbers fake professional.

Apologies for the overreaction. But this news coupled with Blashill showing up to camp with zero energy/excitement or seeming interest in the ground level of his own org, has me figuring i'll just reel in these impressions later if needed.

Would be better off going with zero letters if you want to message this as a transitory year.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I have a hard time believing that this is 100% Blashills decision. I have to imagine this was decided as a group between him, Yzerman, and Chris.

I wonder if they are waiting for Zetterberg's contract to expire? Maybe behind the scenes Zetterberg has expressed interest at coming back at some point? I doubt it, but you never know.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
That's not possible, right?

I'm sure you need to designate somebody for the sake of officiating. I doubt there is a rule explicitly stating you have to sew letters onto a jersey.

I like Abby and Nielson, and glendenning has turned himself into a player with value. But dang, 2 captains, maybe 3, that are barely hanging onto the depth chart. It's hard to find a positive in that messaging.

Reactions: Mijatovic

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Am I missing something? I get it’s a bummer Larkin wasn’t named C, but I don’t think its THAT big of a deal. He’s still a young guy on a team with some established vets who have been around forever. I’m cool if he isn’t given a label on his jersey as long as he can develop. But that’s just me

I dont think the development is that outrageous, and I have no big problem insulating Larkin from this year.

But at face value, Abdelkader, Nielson, and Glendenning are captains of this team. A guy that's scored more than 20 pts twice. A guy that should be a healthy scratch. And a guy who is steeply declining. That shouldnt go without serious criticism attached to it in any case, imo.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
More Context

Stevie's really been around the team for the year. I know March is the public point of contact but disappointed with this decision. Also, Abdelkader should have to earn a spot on the team before he has an A.... We know that probably isn't the case but that part of this statement bothers me.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I don't buy that "Yzerman hasn't been here" point.
Maybe they just don't want Larkin with the burden of facing the media every night during another 70-point campaign. And they don't want to say that out loud.
But you can't tell me Yzerman wasn't watching Larkin, didn't have conversations with Holland about Larkin, and wasn't keenly aware of Larkin's traits.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm reading into this as Yzerman saying to Blashill "I don't want you making the decision because you won't be here in 12 months, so we're waiting."
Implying he cares which coach makes Larkin the captain? Because especially now that Kronwall is gone, who else would he even consider?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Implying he cares which coach makes Larkin the captain? Because especially now that Kronwall is gone, who else would he even consider?

maybe that's why he doesn't want to name a captain right now

giving it another year in the hopes of some other realistic option materializing whether that's through a draft lottery win,a trade,or some current prospect having a big enough year to justify putting it off a while longer for them to be more ready

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I would have been happy to see Larkin with the C but it's going to happen eventually, if it's part Stevie Ys decision I trust him. He has been in Dylans exact shoes... Rebuilding team, face of the franchise, he has more knowledge and insight of the situation than anyone in the world. He will be the leader regardless of which letter is on his jersey and I'm sure they let Dylan know that.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
The follow up explanation is great.

Breaking News: We've made a decision to not make a decision, and that decision is subject to change at any point.

I'm happy with the end result. Though I'm further unimpressed with the communication style, messaging and authority/credibility from the coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->