GDT: 4/7: Game 81: Limp To The Finish: Bruins vs. Ottawa Senators 7:14 PM - NESN, TVAS, CITY, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Update: I will not be updating the OP.

Last night, the unimaginable happened. 14 players and coaches were killed from the Humboldt Broncos were killed on the way to their playoff game. 14 others were injured, 3 critically.

Please keep these players, coaches, families, friends and towns in your thoughts and If you do, your prayers.

This team is a step below Major Juniors. Devyn Dubnyk played for this team at one point as did former Bruin Andrew Bodnarchuk.

Hockey is one giant family and we come together in times like these.

I dedicate this simple GDT to them.

It is Fan Appreciation night, shirts off their backs and the team awards:

Eddie Shore Award
- Exceptional hustle and determination, chosen by the "Gallery Gods"

Elizabeth Dufresne Trophy - Outstanding performance during home games, determined by the Boston Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association

John P. Bucyk Award
- Greatest off-ice charitable contributions, chosen by John Bucyk

Bruins Three Stars - Top performers at home games over the course of the season, chosen by 98.5 The Sports Hub

Last year's winners: Bruins Announce 2016-17 Season Awards

Last edited:
Reactions: berlin

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
So much is in the air with both line ups so I'll post the GDT here tomorrow morning after Ottawa and Tampa play tonight.

It is Fan Appreciation night, shirts off their backs and the team awards:

Eddie Shore Award
- Exceptional hustle and determination, chosen by the "Gallery Gods"

Elizabeth Dufresne Trophy - Outstanding performance during home games, determined by the Boston Chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association

John P. Bucyk Award
- Greatest off-ice charitable contributions, chosen by John Bucyk

Bruins Three Stars - Top performers at home games over the course of the season, chosen by 98.5 The Sports Hub

Last year's winners: Bruins Announce 2016-17 Season Awards

Elizabeth Dufresne was a young woman who went to all the games in the late 20's and 30's. She became ill and died and her friends endowed the trophy bearing her name.

4a4913d652e4197a764d79f2d68d0a36.jpg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Elizabeth Dufresne was a young woman who went to all the games in the late 20's and 30's. She became ill and died and her friends endowed the trophy bearing her name.

4a4913d652e4197a764d79f2d68d0a36.jpg
Never knew that. Thanks!

Marchy looks miserable lol

Reactions: talkinaway

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Never knew that. Thanks!

I don't know when and what year that was taken, but there was that season-ending game not too long ago in which the team sputtered against the Sens thus eliminating themselves. The 'jersey-off-their-backs' ceremony was particularly awkward.

As for this game, I imagine when the schedule makers pitted Boston vs. Ottawa at the end of the year they imagined it to be a playoff-type game with all sorts of playoff implications for both teams.

Didn't quite workout that way!

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
It's sad , Bruins no longer in charge of their playoff destiny. But not all is lost.

In fact it may work out in their favor, one never knows how the playoff matchups' will work out.

We'll know a lot more after tonight

Reactions: Strafer

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Wonder who the Sens put in net?

They have career-minor leaguer Danny Taylor as their back-up (3 NHL GP, age 32, 19 different teams since 2006-07) , and Boucher has stated he will start one of the final two games.

Reactions: northeastern

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Wonder who the Sens put in net?

They have career-minor leaguer Danny Taylor as their back-up (3 NHL GP, age 32, 19 different teams since 2006-07) , and Boucher has stated he will start one of the final two games.

Talk here in Ottawa is that Taylor will get the start.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Never knew that. Thanks!

ulg6xdb.jpg

Now there was a joke for years that Liz Dufresne was murdered by her husband at their seaside vacation home in Maine. The husband was sentenced to life in prison but somehow escaped and was never found.

It was confirmed by the Bruins last year that Stephen King chose the name Dufresne as he remembered the trophy from listening to Bruins games on radio.

Andy+Dufrasne+Banker+from+the+1940s.jpg

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Never knew that. Thanks!

I'll have to add this to my collection of Hags Face - I've already got Hags/Vesey, Hags/Beleskey, and Hags/Pasta. All three of the players have that same "who the %&*(#$&%(*&$ is this guy?" look on their face that Marchy has.

I don't know when and what year that was taken, but there was that season-ending game not too long ago in which the team sputtered against the Sens thus eliminating themselves. The 'jersey-off-their-backs' ceremony was particularly awkward.

If that's the Dufresne trophy (and 99% it is, since it's presented by the Boston chapter of the PHWA, and you-know-who is the head of that), then the pic is either from last year or 2011-12, and they made the playoffs both times - although both times it was one-and-done.

But you're spot on in remembering the awkward shirt-off-our-backs of 2015-6.

The Senators had just beat the Bruins 6-1...and if you're wondering what AHL goalie Jeremy Smith was doing there, he had to speed up 95 from Providence, because that was the game that some people seem to think Rask should have played in despite a last-minute illness. (Seriously, did they want him to paint the crease brown?) They had to wait to see if the Flyers would eliminate them...and they did, for the second year in a row.

Compare to 2013-4, the Presidents Trophy year:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad