GDT: 4/6/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Buffalo vs Tampa Bay

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
That was ridiculous. Never should've been that close. But whatever. At least we didn't have to play overtime to get the 2 points. Just find a way to eke out another W tomorrow and we're good.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Buffalo has played us tough every game this season and beat us twice. Our pattern lately is we simply don’t play well against the lower teams and it’s like we feel we can cruise and then turn on the jets for only part of the game. The year we won the cup we won similar games where Tort’s would say oh well we found a way tonight. Certainly not the hottest team going in but everything is different in the playoffs which is new season with different rules.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
To take a moment to be perfectly sanctimonious, if we're going to get this worked up over Buffalo then we're seriously going to have people die in the playoffs. I do not understand the surprise of us not killing penalties. We've been seeing this for weeks now. No one is going to break a hand blocking a shot for Buffalo when they can do that for the Cup
I am genuinely concerned about this, too. Personally, I'm way more nervous about having to get on that damn roller coaster again than I am about the way the team looks at present.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I really don't trust this team playing with a 1 goal lead when they are falling back like this and givig Buf all this space.
Good observation. We were kind of backing off at the blue line at times tonight. That always gets us into trouble.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Although, sometimes I wonder how new you are to watching the NHL. A bottom feeder beating a top team happens routinely in this league. This isnt the NFL, or the CHL even. You seem to be mindblown at the thought of Buffalo being in this game at all.

In saying that, tonight should have been different with what was on the line. Disappointing showing
I went to my first NHL game in 1966 at the old Madison Sq Garden. I was 8. Blackhawks v Rangers. Stan Mikita got hit in the forehead with a puck and bled so much I thought he was dead. He was back on the ice 10 minutes later. And, I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this, but some of us watch hockey for more than the Ws and Ls. Some of us watch because we want to see the game played well more than we care about the score. So, no, not mindblown at all by the notion of a poor team occasionally beating a good team. The Lightning on the other hand have turned playing poorly against bad teams into an art form.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Very entertaining game, happy the Lightning pulled it out. Strong 1st and 3rd periods.

I really can’t explain the 2nd period given the stakes, but it appears those types of lapses are part of this teams DNA.

Had a great time with my boys, showed them the water street plans and had great seats. Go Lightning!

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
I am mildly concerned with how sloppy Vasy has played, But if our offense can get heated up again then we should be alright. But this game should have never ever been this close.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Buffalo rolled the Preds 7-4 recently.

Huge 3rd. Poor 2nd. We cameback. I have no idea what team is going to show up in the playoffs but I have a feeling we will need home ice in a game 7 or two.

Go Bolts. Nite again. LOL.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Very entertaining game, happy the Lightning pulled it out. Strong 1st and 3rd periods.

I really can’t explain the 2nd period given the stakes, but it appears those types of lapses are part of this teams DNA.

Had a great time with my boys, showed them the water street plans and had great seats. Go Lightning!
I swear I can remember moments from almost every game I've gone to with my dad, and I'm not a kid anymore. Couldn't tell you whether the Bolts won or lost most of those games.

Reactions: Steazy Doo

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
We need Johnson to start producing now. And it’s hard not to be a little concerned about Vassy going into these playoffs. Other than that I think when we play desperate hockey we’re tough to beat.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
We snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Those are the best wins, by far, especially when they matter more in the standings. Plus, we play tomorrow. Going 110% and blowing Buffalo out of the water tonight might mean a tired team tomorrow in another game we need to win.
Sorry man, but that is just lame excuse making. Tonight's game was the more important game because it kept our destiny in our own hands and we got lucky. That's great, but this was Vasy's last game before the playoffs and looked shaky as hell. And the PK, are you kidding me? So, I guess it's just a matter perspective. Personally, I don't think playing bad hockey is good preparation for anything.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I went to my first NHL game in 1966 at the old Madison Sq Garden. I was 8. Blackhawks v Rangers. Stan Mikita got hit in the forehead with a puck and bled so much I thought he was dead. He was back on the ice 10 minutes later. And, I'm not trying to be a dick when I say this, but some of us watch hockey for more than the Ws and Ls. Some of us watch because we want to see the game played well more than we care about the score. So, no, not mindblown at all by the notion of a poor team occasionally beating a good team. The Lightning on the other hand have turned playing poorly against bad teams into an art form.

Well you seem mindblown.

I like seeing games played well too, which is why the Boston game last week didnt bother me as much as others. I can appreciate good hockey without getting the results.

Last edited:

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Sorry man, but that is just lame excuse making. Tonight's game was the more important game because it kept our destiny in our own hands and we got lucky. That's great, but this was Vasy's last game before the playoffs and looked shaky as hell. And the PK, are you kidding me? So, I guess it's just a matter perspective. Personally, I don't think playing bad hockey is good preparation for anything.
I mean, I don't know what you're looking for. A lot of the pucks Vasy missed had eyes. It was just one of those games. I saw him make a ridiculous save in the dying minutes to preserve the win, so I'm not too worried about him.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I still think there's a system issue going on right now. Our D are screening Vasi too much. And it's gotten worse since McDonagh came in.

One of the early goals where Girardi basically screened Vasi perfectly because it looked like he was trying to block it. Like - there's a time and place to block a shot, but your job isn't to be a goalie it's to be a defender.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
Well you seem mindblown.

I like seeing games played well too, which is why the Boston game last week didnt bother me as much as others. I can appreciate good hockey without getting the results.
Then I would hope you would understand that the converse is true. We play like garbage but get the W. I don't "appreciate" the bad hockey on display in such games. What I don't get is why that pisses so many people on this board off.

Matt Watson

Feb 10, 2018
Fairfield, CT
I mean, I don't know what you're looking for. A lot of the pucks Vasy missed had eyes. It was just one of those games. I saw him make a ridiculous save in the dying minutes to preserve the win, so I'm not too worried about him.
I'm not looking for anything. Just expressing my opinions on a message board. I am disappointed in TBs effort tonight and was hoping for a solid follow up to the Boston game. Got the exact opposite. That's all. Not the end of the world. It's just hockey but it's what we talk about here.

Anyway, I got it, you're not too concerned about Vasy. Fair enough. I am. How about the PK, how are you feeling about that?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'm not looking for anything. Just expressing my opinions on a message board. I am disappointed in TBs effort tonight and was hoping for a solid follow up to the Boston game. Got the exact opposite. That's all. Not the end of the world. It's just hockey but it's what we talk about here.

Anyway, I got it, you're not too concerned about Vasy. Fair enough. I am. How about the PK, how are you feeling about that?
I don't like any PK's chances against 5 power plays. But it didn't look the way it did against Boston. I can't account for that. Unlike some, I actually don't like how aggressive we are. A lot of our PK guys aren't fast enough to recover when they're too aggressive. Teams seem to be baiting us into losing our shape around the net and then exploiting the holes that get created. To me it really looks like other coaches are just snookering our coaches. For whatever reason, we played the PK differently against Boston (or seemed to). For the most part we just staked out the ice in front net and hunkered down. We reacted aggressively, but we weren't pressing. We let Boston come to us.

Reactions: Stammertime91

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Are we currently poised to face the Philadelphia Flyers? Assuming standings stay the same as they are?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Are we currently poised to face the Philadelphia Flyers? Assuming standings stay the same as they are?
Yes, with the standings as they are. But that could change five times before it's all said and done.

We're gonna play somebody in the first round. I guarantee it.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I know Buf has been playing good hockey lately and I didn't watch the game after the 1st period...so interesting to check the score and see 7-5 final...

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’m not concerned as well. Buffalo scored at least one very fluky goal and they always give us fits. Who wouldn’t want to beat the #1 team and spoil their last home game? But we never looked out of control. “Oh you wanna score 5 goals? Ok then we just score 7.”

Happy for Kuch breaking the 100 point mark. Happy for Point (his 11th GWG). Happy for Tony C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad