GDT: 4/4/13 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Carolina

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Still feels like we can control our destiny to some degree though, which is exciting. The 2 Washington games might as well be playoff contests.

I think the chances are quit well IF we win both games against WAS, against NYI, WPG and CAR. Of course Buffalo and FLorida are must wins as well. And if we win 1 or 2 more out of the difficult games I think the chances are quit well.

If there's one thing going for us, it's the standings skydiving that Carolina and Winnipeg have been doing recently. Also, we have our big-3 trade deadline additions: Bishop, Lecavalier, and Cooper. Maybe even Connolly surprises us. It certaintly will get interesting!

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Question from a 'Canes fan. I'll be blunt, both of our teams are pretty bad (and if you want to attack me for that, fine, but remember that we are currently tied in the standings for 5th and 6th worst in the League).

However, since I watch the 'Canes all the time, it's hard to get some perspective. Certain practices become so everyday that you forget to look at them and think "That shouldn't happen."

So can anyone offer legitimate insight on what it is like to play the 'Canes? Be brutal if you want, I know (and am hoping!) that the 'Canes are heading for a top pick.

Thanks! Good game by you guys tonight btw.

Mar 20, 2006
Ottawa
Sooo, did Stevie Y. disclose the full terms of the trade, where Bishop isn't allowed to play against the Sens next season?

Volt

Aug 25, 2008
Toronto
Sens fan coming in saying congrats on the win! Bishop will be awesome for you guys, I will be following his career closely from here on out. Also Stamkos/MSL are just too damn good!!

Bigup

Stache consultant
Jan 25, 2013
Ottawa
Congrats. What a start for your new goalie. Trade looks good for you guys now doesn't it? lol

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Question from a 'Canes fan. I'll be blunt, both of our teams are pretty bad (and if you want to attack me for that, fine, but remember that we are currently tied in the standings for 5th and 6th worst in the League).

However, since I watch the 'Canes all the time, it's hard to get some perspective. Certain practices become so everyday that you forget to look at them and think "That shouldn't happen."

So can anyone offer legitimate insight on what it is like to play the 'Canes? Be brutal if you want, I know (and am hoping!) that the 'Canes are heading for a top pick.

Thanks! Good game by you guys tonight btw.

We're not going to argue about being bad. We hope we're better than our standings indicate, but you are what your record is.

The thing that always sticks out when playing you guys is how slow your D is. Because of that I feel we get more odd man rushes than we do against most other teams. The other thing is you aren't the most physical team, either. We have problems with physical and fast teams, so the match-up just works well in that way for us.

A lot of your forwards are really skilled and they can give us headaches, but honestly, match-up wise, I think we just have your number. It's not saying anything about the relative quality of either team, it's just a match-up that really suits us.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We're not going to argue about being bad. We hope we're better than our standings indicate, but you are what your record is.

The thing that always sticks out when playing you guys is how slow your D is. Because of that I feel we get more odd man rushes than we do against most other teams. The other thing is you aren't the most physical team, either. We have problems with physical and fast teams, so the match-up just works well in that way for us.

A lot of your forwards are really skilled and they can give us headaches, but honestly, match-up wise, I think we just have your number. It's not saying anything about the relative quality of either team, it's just a match-up that really suits us.

Thanks for the input.

If anyone cares, the physicality thing has been beaten to death on our board, but the lack of speed on the defense hasn't been touched on at all.

I am just confused whenever I see the Lightning play. They remind me of the 2010 version, but I look at the standings and see differently. Guess I don't watch enough hockey lol.

Last edited:

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Big thing I read about today, check out our fenwick for this year as goals up and goals down... we were possession hogs when down by 1 or 2 but laid off horribly when up 1 or 2. I like to think we're a little better than we've played this year due to a number of reasons.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Thanks for the input.

If anyone cares, the physicality thing has been beaten to death on our board, but the lack of speed on the defense hasn't been touched on at all.

I am just confused whenever I see the Lightning play. They remind me of the 2010 version, but I look at the standings and see differently. Guess I don't watch enough hockey lol.

Dude there is a lot of weird **** going on with this team this year. Between quitting on Guy, how they played as a unit and what Guy wanted to accomplish, how Lacroix simplified ****, our possession at different points and scores in a game... this season is strange as ****. Things are just ass backwards.

As for the canes, i'm not really sure. I obviously don't believe tonight is an accurate representation of the team, but maybe it is to a certain extent. One impressive thing I saw was Jordan against Stamkos most of the night, and 91 was, even with his assists, mostly invisible all night.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Seeing as there is a large amounts of Sens fans in here, how many of us are going to crash the Ottawa board tomorrow night for Conachers first game?

Seriously, the kids only played 35 games for us and it feels like we shipped away a home town hero.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
As for the canes, i'm not really sure. I obviously don't believe tonight is an accurate representation of the team, but maybe it is to a certain extent. One impressive thing I saw was Jordan against Stamkos most of the night, and 91 was, even with his assists, mostly invisible all night.

Thanks for the input!

Many 'Canes fans feel that Jordan hasn't really been effective for us, so it's interesting that you (and others?) don't feel that way.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Thanks for the input.

Apart from speed lacking on defense, the Carolina D is poor in their own end...something you don't want on a defense. I think Faulk will develop into a strong defenseman, and Gleason is a lot of things you want in a defender/hockey player in general. McBain is decent as well.

Past that, the D looks rough, and gambles a lot to make an offensive play. I'm sure you know the way Corvo plays and how often he goes forward instead of staying at home. He frustrates a lot of fans with his play and positioning. Now you have MAB, who is another offense minded defenseman, but leaves a lot to be desired. Harrison is a minutes eater (nothing wrong with that), but he's nothing special. Sanguinetti...idk what the hell he does. Every Canes game I've been to this season, his play usually involves diving because someone's gone by him, or fumbling to get into position. Not a fan of his.

I think the D will get better, and Bellemore is someone I enjoyed watching. Hopefully for Carolina he wins a roster spot next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad