Injury Report: 4/29/14: Bishop underwent surgery on right wrist, should be ready for training camp

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com

sounds like maybe he feels a little off his neck bent very badly. Was a bad spot to get hit in head.

I say as long as he didnt look like backes falling down etc.. is ok is end of year doubt will be lingering thing who knows. Concussions are weird for one person to next. I have had 8 hits to head bad ones 3 with stitches but never had the symptoms of other people. People are not made the same. I personally am not that concerned long term. He did seem better as game went on.

The crosby thing is baffling how long that took for him that seems a rare case to me. Some people have harder heads? Maybe less brains to hurt haha. The spot he got hit was concerning see how it swells up today. See if has any other problems my last hit was like this one and I was fine the whole time event though for the first time because of the location of the hit I was sure should have been a problem and was in the soft tissue area of back side of head etc. Mine swelled up but no problems like said so hope stammer is same:)

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
You can have a headache without having a concussion. Dude got knee'd in the head, there's no way his head wasn't a little sore. I'm going to give the staff the benefit of the doubt here and assume they followed the necessary protocol. I think all the drama is a result of all the concussion related rules and regulations that have come into effect recently. Every time a player gets hit in the head now, everyone is just going to assume concussion.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You can have a headache without having a concussion. Dude got knee'd in the head, there's no way his head wasn't a little sore. I'm going to give the staff the benefit of the doubt here and assume they followed the necessary protocol. I think all the drama is a result of all the concussion related rules and regulations that have come into effect recently. Every time a player gets hit in the head now, everyone is just going to assume concussion.

When Backes was hit in the head, he layed still for several seconds, he could not even stand up on his own, and you can tell he was out of it. Stamkos looked fine, was hurting a little but was not concussed.

Stelio Kontos

Nov 6, 2011
@DarrenDreger: Stamkos says he expects to play in game 4. Didn't get into specifics of injury or symptoms (if any).

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
When Backes was hit in the head, he layed still for several seconds, he could not even stand up on his own, and you can tell he was out of it. Stamkos looked fine, was hurting a little but was not concussed.

and the fact that Backes was trying to be a tough guy when he had no idea what the hell he was doing was met with praise by noted dumbass Mike Milbury. I found that whole sequence freaking incredible. Someone is still stuck assaulting fans in the '70s.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

I'm just worried that no one came out and said anything about whether he passed the test or not. That's concerning - especially when you know that everyone watching was thinking concussion.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Exactly, you could tell he was concussed. He couldn't stand on his own at all. Stamkos was a bit dazed, but I've been dazed when I bump my head of the ceiling of my car. Doesn't mean he or I were concussed.

and the fact that Backes was trying to be a tough guy when he had no idea what the hell he was doing was met with praise by noted dumbass Mike Milbury. I found that whole sequence freaking incredible. Someone is still stuck assaulting fans in the '70s.

Backes is a tough SOB, that's for sure. I'm sure he doesn't remember doing that, dude couldn't stand up. The trainer and Steen were holding him up.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I'm just worried that no one came out and said anything about whether he passed the test or not. That's concerning - especially when you know that everyone watching was thinking concussion.

If they allowed him to go back out, that is saying it with actually saying it. I don't think the staff is stupid enough to allow the franchise centerman to go back out there if he failed a concussion test. If that did happen, there will be hell to pay.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
Backes is a tough SOB, that's for sure. I'm sure he doesn't remember doing that, dude couldn't stand up. The trainer and Steen were holding him up.

I certainly don't deny that as much as I just don't get why, knowing what we know now about concussions, why there would be any glorifying of his actions. Milbury was legit praising el capitan for acting out of his subconscious. It was rather hilarious, frankly.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I certainly don't deny that as much as I just don't get why, knowing what we know now about concussions, why there would be any glorifying of his actions. Milbury was legit praising el capitan for acting out of his subconscious. It was rather hilarious, frankly.

Well, toughness is an admirable trait in hockey. Not that I would consider Milbury especially "tough", if anything I think he is a pretender and a classless moron. But regardless, what Backes did is particularly "hockey" of him. Whether what he was doing was more harmful to himself is another story.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Cooper called it "encouraging" Bishop skated this morning. Sounded as if series would have to get to Game 6 for him to play.
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/light...2176306?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Injured goaltender Ben Bishop took shots for the first time since his April 8 elbow injury. Cooper said it was "encouraging," but made it sound as if the series would have to get to Game 6 before Bishop would play, though he did not entirely rule out Game 5. "But we have to get through Game 4." ...Bishop said it has been "extremely" frustrating not being able to play. "Can't really put it into works. It's been real tough to have to watch."
https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski
Sami Salo (upper body) also on the ice. #TBLightning
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bol...140422/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
After getting out on the ice with the rest of the team for the first time, Bishop is encouraged with where he is at in his recovery.

“It’s a process to get back out there and right now it’s going well,’’ he said. “Today was a big step and it went well to be out on the ice with the guys and face some real shots, make some saves. So we’ll see how (things) go and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.’’

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rough season for Stamkos, hopefully he's healthy next year for another productive season.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Bishop suffered a dislocated left elbow by the way:

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger
Bishop suffered a dislocated elbow which sidelined him in round one. Said he was hoping for game 5 or 6. #TSN

Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO
#tblightning goaltender Ben Bishop suffered a dislocated left elbow on April 8, which kept him out of the playoffs, first reported by TSN

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Joe Smith @TBTimes_JSmith

#tblightning Ben bishop said he tore ligament in right wrist before All Star break, wore cast second half of season. Surgery next week.

After Bishop suffered dislocated elbow on April 8, he said Stamkos gave him a hug and Bishop almost started crying, knew he'd miss playoffs

Hope he recovers in time for next season!

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm still angry at how many players got away with running into him this season :shakehead It completely changed our season.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I hope for the best. The Lightning season depends on Ben. Without a healthy Bishop we will not make the playoffs.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Any word yet on which procedure he's having? And any idea on when word should trickle down?

EDIT: Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 1h
#tblightning G Ben Bishop will undergo surgery on his right wrist tomorrow, exact extent of the injury and recovery will be known tomorrow

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Update: Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 39m
#tblightning announce G Ben Bishop underwent successful surgery on his right wrist, expected to need 3-4 months to recover (1/2)

Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO 38m
(2/2) surgery was performed at the Cleveland Clinic. Bishop is expected to be recovered and ready for the start of training camp in Sept.

Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes 34m
Bishop wrist surgery called "successful" by the team. Rehab will be 3-4 months. Under that timetable, should be ready for training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad